Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Help "Reverse Engineering" InCopy Files Back To InDesign

Engaged ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InCopy CC 2019, Windows 10 64 bit

I recently received InCopy assignment files that I need to "reverse engineer" into InDesign. The InCopy files consists of a single .icma assignment file and approximately 1,100 .icml files - text and graphics. How can I output these from InCopy so that InDesign can open it with the layout preserved? I thought the File > Package > Return for InDesign feature would sort this out, but it's greyed out. 

InCopy Return for InDesign.jpg

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. What happened to the original InDesign file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I got this from a translation company and no one on their end knows where the original InD file is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you're out of luck. The plus side, at least you have all the content and know what the layout is supposed to look like but there has to be an InDesign file somwhere that created this. BTW, the package thing only works if you received a package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll have to copy / paste it then. Luckily, I'm paid by the hour!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, what happens if I did receive a package (but not via a shared network, just via email)? Am I supposed to see the package options available? They're all greyed out, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The only thing you'd see is return for InDesign or package for InCopy (in case there's another InCopy user involved).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines