• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported Edited Stories (icml files) back into InDesign from InCopy?

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I have edited hundreds of stories in InCopy that I exported from InDesign for a document.  How do I now import them back into InDesign?  I tried to relink but the edits are not there.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to InCopy]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please describe this better? If you exported them from InDesign they should still be linked to the InDesign file, unless you moved them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BobLevine​!  Thanks for writing.  Here are the steps I took:

1) Exported stories from a 400 page inDesign document.  There are over 400 stories.

2) Author edited most of those stories in InCopy.  The icml files are now updated.

3) I went back into inDesign and set the document to export as a .pdf but I do not see the edits, meaning it's not recognizing the updated icml files (and one of the linked images I edited).

How can I re-import the stories and the edited linked image back into the indd/inDesign file?

Thanks.

-M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your links showing as up to date? How did the author handle this?

The best way (IMO) would have been to put everything in a shared Dropbox folder and then for the author to open the INDD file in InCopy, check out all stories, make edits and then check everything back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BobLevine​!

Yes, everything is in a shared DropBox folder.  The Indd file was opened in incopy and stories were checked out and back in as edits were made.  The icml files have the more recent modified time stamps.  When I open the same indd file from the same dropbox, the edits are not visible and when I export to a pdf they do not show up.  Do you know how I can get them to sync? Can I reimport them somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, check the links panel. Are the links showing as up to date?

Are you seeing the more modified time stamps on line or on your sync’ed local folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BobLevine​.  In the document (indd in indesign), there are question marks everywhere.  It looks like I need to update the links but it won't let me.  There are about 700 links to update but I don't know how.  The options are greyed out.  In dropbox (also sync'd to my harddrive the timestamps show the updated stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question marks would be missing links! Someone must have moved all of the files.

Hopefully they’re all in the same folder and you can just relink them all in one fell swoop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have not been moved.  It says it is in checked in and out of date.  I don't know how to correct it.  I have googled and can't find anything on this.  When I click update all links the program crashes every time.  I am not sure what to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screenshots please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! So now I am see the exclamation point.  Whenever I double click to update, InDesign crashes.  It also crashes when I first open and it prompts to update the 400 links.  I am not sure how to proceed but we need to get the document to the printer.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BobLevine​: Thanks for helping.  It's the Creative Cloud, most up to date version, on MacBook.  Same with InCopy.  When I try to update any links, the program crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the EXACT version and build of InDesign and InCopy? What is the EXACT operating system version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BobLevine​!

I uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign and saved each of the 400+ links individually.  There is one icml that crashes no matter what I try so I can't edit the text there.

I now receive export failures every time I try and export.  I was able to export yesterday.  I also have notifications for a few more missing links than I had yesterday.  I am not sure where the error for printing is happening but it just happened at 31% complete.  Any tips on exporting?  This is a 400 page manual with over 1000 links/images so pinpointing one thing is not so simple.  again, i was able to export yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the InDesign file to IDML. Open that and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! That failed as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines