Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessing contents of .lrprev files

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am building a plugin that would like to take advantage of the biggest preview available in the lightroom cache.

I have played with a few different tools that read previews from these files - and the largest most of them can pull out is 'level_5'.

A manual inspection of a .lrprev file would seem to indicate that there is additional preview data at 'level_6' and 'level_7' in there.

Has anyone had any luck accessing these larger previews?

Ideally I'm seeking some means by which I can parse out these previews as separate files/streams for use in my plugin.

- Feel free to offer wisdom in whichever language you like to work in - I've inspected partial solutions in C/C++, Python and Lua. e.g.

- Perhaps the larger versions are not in JPEG/JFIF format and that's why they don't parse out as readily?

- I'd prefer to work only with the .lrprev files rather than have to access the sqlite db - it would seem superfluous considering the UUID can be retrieved from the SDK and the .lrdata is structured using a tree built from the first 4 characters of it.

Any thoughts and tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

B

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Lightroom SDK​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me for replying to this post to ask a question, but I recently experienced a crash where the catalog became corrupt and I also lost all my photos taken on 9/12. I noticed that I have .lrprev files for that date and would like to view them. Would you please tell me what program I can use to view them? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are Plugins that can 'Extract' JPGs from Catalog Previews, BUT I believe you will need the working Catalog. If its is corrupt you may be SOL.

Do you NOT have file backups of BOTH the Catalog AND the photo files?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/extract-previews-for-lost-images-lightroom.html

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/accidentally-deleted-photos-hard-drive-dont-backups-can-create-jpegs-...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines