Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Stack JPG's in Front of Raw

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2013 Mar 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I shoot everything JPG plus Raw.  I have a number of reasons why, but would rather not make this post any longer..... I would like to be able to view everything in my library with all JPG's stacked in front of the RAW with the same file name.  I have been able to Auto-Stack by time (setting time to Zero Seconds) does this.  The Problem is that the NEF's appear first in the stack.  I want the JPG's first, always.  I can figure out any way to do this automatically.  It looks like I would have to manually change which file is first.  I shoot thousands and thousands of files, I need to automate this.  How can I do this?

Secondarily, does anyone know how I could apply a star rating to just the jpg and have it also apply to the raw file?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, tested RelativeAntics for a while. Need to read info carefully about configuring plugin. Doable. Just to clarify -

is scenario "I have stacked jpeg+RAW, jpeg ontop, collapsed, select it, press "pick" or rating number and RAW file under it immidiately gets same attribute" - achivable?

I uncommented that parameter mentioned above, try to get this scenario working - nope. I'll dig it out by myself, just to be sure what I look for exists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To automatically sync metadata from top of stack to related underlings, use Relative Antics (link above) preset: 'Auto-Send Metadata Down To Raw-Rgb In Stack' preset. Customizable inclusion for all Lr metadata and/or develop settings available via SDK (excludes crop+orientation).

To manually sync metadata from anywhere in stack to those underneath (if meet customizable criteria), use script: 'Send Metadata Down In Stack' - use one of the existing presets, or customize.. - supports all metadata and develop settings, including crop+orientation. It's free, and I wrote it:

robcole.com - MiscLrScripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, got it. Sounds like this is exactly I ws looking for. In few days our studio is moving to new location, so there is now time for testing. At least till weekend...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, did I missed saying "THANKS" for your comments and plugin?

Need to finish some urgent processing, after that I'll dive deeper into it. Changing habits is umm... takes time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photomonk_ wrote:

"THANKS"

You're welcome photomonk_ .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to add meta data / ratings etc the the entire stack - automatically.

(yes, still trying to work around LR not treating Raw+Jpg as same image)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relative Antics plugin (free by me) will do it - choose the "Auto-send metadata down in stack.." preset.

robcole.com - RelativeAntics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I am a little late to the party, but ... First thanks to the original OP, I have the EXACT same workflow and feeling about LR.  Second, I don't suppose any of this has been changed with the latest (or later) release of LR by any chance?  Third, Rob ... I went to your links, but they appear to be dead.  Is your site down temporarily or is this a more permanent thing?  Anywhere else I can check out your plugins?

Thanks!

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way I solve the first problem.

1. Make the stacks

2. Collaps all stacks

3. Filter by text on "RAF" (or whatever your raw file is called)

4. Select all

5. Chose "Move down in stack"

(Not sure about the name of the menu item since I have Swedish version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! Saved me a great headache. Keep in mind though, that Lightroom disables the menu item ("Move down in stack") if the selection is >100 photos. (i spent some time figuring out this, hopefully those who reads this won't)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with you. I shoot  jpg+raw. I generally shoot things right in camera and there is no need to edit the photo. I would like to keep the jpg in front in case there is something I wanted to do with the photo in the future. If the photo needs editing then I will just toss the jpg and use the raw. I have found no way to automate this shortfall in the software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I would like to keep the jpg in front in case there is something I wanted to do with the photo in the future. "

You can do this with the Auto Stack command of the Any Source plugin:

1. In Library Grid view, go to a folder of unstacked raw and JPEG photos you want to stack. (If they're already stacked, select all of them and do Photo > Stacking > Unstack.)

2. Do the menu command View > Sort > File Name.

3. If the raw file extension precedes .jpg alphabetically (e.g. .cr3), then do View > Sort > Descending, otherwise do View > Sort > Ascending. This ensures the JPEGs are displayed before the corresponding raws.

4. Select all the photos, do Library > Plug-in Extras > Auto Stack, and select Photos Taken No More Than 0.08 Seconds After The Preceding Photo:

johnrellis_0-1686371419920.png

Unfortunately, the built-in command Auto-Stack By Capture Time won't work, because it insists on always putting the raw files first, regardless of how Grid view is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines