Can I restore my virtual copies?

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a pretty new Lightroom user, and made some edits I was pretty proud of on virtual copies. A few days later, I reopened Lightroom and they're not there. My last backup is a week ago, before those edits. I've never had a problem before with Lightroom saving my edits without  a hard backup as long as I exited the program in the proper way and didn't yank my had drive out unexpectedly. Are my virtual copies lost forever? If not, how can I get them back? If so, what is needed in the future to save them? Many thanks. Feel free to clown on me for this.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021
A few days later, I reopened Lightroom and they're not there. Is it possible you 'opened' a different Catalog, or even started a new one? Virtual Copies only exist in a Catalog. Or do you have a Filter active that is hiding the VCs. My last backup is a week ago, before those edits. Then, that backup will not have those VC edits. I've never had a problem before with Lightroom saving my edits without a hard backup as long as I exited the program in the proper way and didn't yank my had drive...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days later, I reopened Lightroom and they're not there.

Is it possible you 'opened' a different Catalog, or even started a new one? Virtual Copies only exist in a Catalog.

Or do you have a Filter active that is hiding the VCs.

My last backup is a week ago, before those edits.

Then, that backup will not have those VC edits.

I've never had a problem before with Lightroom saving my edits without a hard backup as long as I exited the program in the proper way and didn't yank my had drive out unexpectedly. Are my virtual copies lost forever?

Maybe, maybe not!  Finding a catalog that contains the VC edits will 'restore' them.

Please include the following in your questions:
Adobe App Name and Version number. A Screenshot of the info panel from MENU: Help/System Info...
Operating system and Version number.
The full text of any Error Message(s) if seen.
What you were doing when the problem occurred.
Screenshots of the problem.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.3.1 Photoshop 23.3.2, ACR 14.3, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.2, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I got them back! Somehow I have two catalogues that both have the photos from my last shoot in them. I feel awful silly about this mistake but without your suggestion I don't think I would have thought to check for a second catalogue I didn't intend to make. This is a good wake-up call to get my workflow properly organized. Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines