• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon and Digital Photo Professional

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be the wrong people to ask but:  I have used Lightroom and Photoshop for years but have decided to try DPP as it is now so improved.  However, I have LR 5 catalogues that I wish to continue using and am trying to figure out how to incorporate DPP into my workflow.  If I open them all in DPP I presumably end up with a catalogue but then if I import into LR I have a duplication.  Should I download as normal and catalogue in LR but then if I want to process in DPP will it have corrupted/removed any raw info that DPP is so good at reading? Really don't want t switch entirely from LR brilliant catalogue to DPP catalogues, too much invested in time.  Sorry to pose this but thought one of you may have come across it before.  Asking Canon but doubt they will know re LR.  ACDC I had years ago 'grabbed' files and made it difficult using other programmes.  I can of course experiment but won't know if LR has affected the raw data when I open it in DPP.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no real knowledge of Canon's DPP software, although I have downloaded it from the Canon website.

But if that DPP software uses a catalog system for Referencing images into a Database system like LR does then that DPP catalog and the LR catalog will be completely separate catalogs, completely separate Database Files. One can't be used with the other.

As long as you don't Copy images while importing them into both programs there shouldn't be any duplicate images created.

What program do you plan on using to get images from the memory cards from you cameras copied onto your computers hard drive?

Which ever one that is in the other just select Add to just ADD it to the Catalog and not Move or Copy it to some other folder on you drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Redrom  wrote

If I open them all in DPP I presumably end up with a catalogue but then if I import into LR I have a duplication. 

While I am not a DPP user, I am skeptical that this duplicates anything.

but then if I want to process in DPP will it have corrupted/removed any raw info that DPP is so good at reading?

While I am not a DPP user, I am skeptical that this corrupts anything, as no application that I know of writes to the image portion of RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to processing RAW images in either program.

When you are using LR to make adjustments to image files LR never changes the actual image file. It stores the edits you have made in the LR Catalog file and only Displays those edits over the top of the actual image.

I would suspect and hope the Canon DPP software does something of the same. Whether that is saving the edits to some type of catalog files are to a XMP sidecar file stored in the same folder as the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DPP does not create a database, nor does it store image edits in a sidecar file. Because Canon (of course) knows the complete code for its proprietary Raw format, CR2, it can safely insert and save the edit instructions internally, within the Raw file. Adobe can only do this to a Raw file in its own format, DNG. In DPP's case that metadata section is called VRP and in LR's (or ACR's) case it is labeled XMP; however, in both cases the image data section remains completely untouched. But because LR cannot read the VRD data, much less convert it to CR compatible edit settings, you can edit and alter a CR2 from here to next week and beyond in DPP and save (overwrite) the file thus saving the DPP edits in the VRD, but when you import that same file into LR and go to Develop it's like starting again at the beginning, at Adobe defaults. And going the other way, LR to DPP, is the same. The only way to transfer image editing from one to the other is to "bake" the edited version into a rendered 16 bit Tif, saved/exported from one and opened/imported in the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really should address your reply to the original poster. As I stated I have no real knowledge of DPP so I was just suggesting what MIGHT happen when making edits to a file in that program.

Also I could care less what happens and where edits are store when using the Canon DPP program.

But hey thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

You really should address your reply to the original poster. As I stated I have no real knowledge of DPP so I was just suggesting what MIGHT happen when making edits to a file in that program.

Also I could care less what happens and where edits are store when using the Canon DPP program.

But hey thanks anyway.

Sorry, I thought that was what I was doing. Errant click I guess. Please disregard the "In response to ...". Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Redrom  wrote

I have LR 5 catalogues that I wish to continue using and am trying to figure out how to incorporate DPP into my workflow.  If I open them all in DPP I presumably end up with a catalogue but then if I import into LR I have a duplication.

DPP has no cataloging tools other than numerical and star 1-5 rating tools and Reject . DPP stores all of the 'Tool Palette' settings and 'Ratings' by writing that data into the CR2 file using 'File' menu 'Save' or 'Save As.' The only way to see your DPP edits is to open the CR2 file in DPP OR use DPP 'Convert and Save' to create a TIFF or JPEG copy with the DPP edits applied. The TIFF or JPEG file will show the rendered DPP edits and can then be imported into LR for further editing, tagging, and cataloging. If you want to make changes to the CR2 file's DPP edits reopen it in DPP, which will show the previously "saved" settings. This works in much the same way as Adobe DNG files, which can have the Develop settings, ratings, keywords, etc. written to the file using CTRL +S or 'Update DNG Preview & Metadata.'

IMHO, LR is a far superior raw editor compared to DPP. Yes it has some cool tools for applying camera settings and 'Digital Lens Optimization,' but its highlight and shadow recovery tools are very limited. Using the above workflow with DPP edits saved to the CR2 file you can apply edits in both LR and DPP with no conflicts between the two applications.

Redrom  wrote

If I want to process in DPP will it have corrupted/removed any raw info that DPP is so good at reading? Really don't want t switch entirely from LR brilliant catalogue to DPP catalogues, too much invested in time.

When processing camera raw files (i.e. CR2) LR stores all of its data in the LR catalog file. The camera raw file is never written to with one exception. You can change the Date & Time and write that to the raw file if the below Catalog Settings option is checked. The Canon proprietary camera data is not affected by this write operation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am familiar with DPP as I have used it myself - but not the recent versions as I have been using Lightroom since version 4. I have also looked at the recent versions and I don't like it as Lightroom can do so much more!

DPP doesn't use a catalogue system at all - not like Lightroom. Therefore you don't 'import' anything. Once you open up DPP, you just direct DPP to the relevant folder that is stored on your computer. It opens up the file and you edit accordingly.

So, this means you won't be able to use the Lightroom catalogues with DPP. So, this means all the edits you made in Lightroom, stored in the catalogue, won't be read by DPP - so you have to start again - bummer!

DPP is a different workflow. If you use DNG files, DPP won't recognise them, so you have to use the CR2 files. Lightroom won't recognize the changes DPP made and the changes you made in Lightroom won't be recognised by DPP.

Lightroom and DPP are mutually exclusive. They are totally different ways of working. It is kind of like a camera system. If you have a Canon camera and lenses, or lenses with Canon mounts, you can't change cameras. You are locked into a system. If you want to change to Nikon etc, you basically have to start all over again. Same with Lightroom and any other raw processor. You get locked into a system.

Quite honestly, Lightroom is much better at editing and organising than DPP. DPP is a good option if you don't have another option.

If you want to experiment with DPP, I think it would be a good idea to make a copy of your files that you use with Lightroom - your raw files -  and store them in a different folder - say DPP Pictures and then direct DPP to this picture folder.

Yes, you would have two different folders, one for DPP and one for Lightroom, but I do not think it is good practice to try and combine them both.

Give DPP a go - have a play with it to see how it can fit into your workflow.

Does this answer you query?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I was typing my answer other people have responded before I could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines