• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capture Time sort function is reading incorrect metadata

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is a bug but I may be incorrect, I just feel like it's been affecting a lot of different files for me lately. To briefly explain the scenario, somehow my capture time data on images is getting changed and I don't understand why. I am trying to organize my entire 35mm film archive, and editing titles of folders, batch adjusting film names in Bridge, and then resycning occassionally. 

Sorting by Capture Time is important to me, because it tells me when I previously scanned something, and how long ago. I believe it's getting changed though when I resyncronize lightroom, or rename things. I swear there are also some photos or folders I haven't even touched that seem to be changing as well. Pictured below is a metadata screenshot from a folder inside lightroom which I changed the title of earlier today, but didn't touch any of the images. The only metadata that has the proper Capture Time or Date Created really is the debug capture time, which matches the explorer file properities "created" field for the file. 

Can anybody tell me what's going on and how to fix this or is it truly a bug? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"trying to organize my entire 35mm film archive"

Your scans are probably missing the industry-standard metadata EXIF:DateTimeOriginal, which records the capture date.  LR has always had bugs with such files, and in recent years those bugs have gotten worse. One nasty bug is that LR will sort such files by their current file-date-modified (when the file was last modified by any app).  As the file-date-modified changes (e.g. when LR writes metadata back to it), the sorting of such files will change.

The only workaround is to use the Metadata > Edit Capture Time command to assign true capture dates to the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines