• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog dilemma

Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware there is no maximum size to the LR catalog. However, I now have over 61,000 images referenced in my catalog, and LR is noticeably slower now moving from image to image whether in library or develop mode. Is this because it takes longer for LR to search for relevant data when a large number of images is involved, and I would therefore be better off starting a new catalog?

Windows 10 64-bit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. and your version of LR is ?

Where is the catalog stored and where are the images stored?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

walterono  wrote

I am aware there is no maximum size to the LR catalog. However, I now have over 61,000 images referenced in my catalog, and LR is noticeably slower now moving from image to image whether in library or develop mode. Is this because it takes longer for LR to search for relevant data when a large number of images is involved, and I would therefore be better off starting a new catalog?

Windows 10 64-bit

This slowness has absolutely nothing to do with catalog size. A new catalog would essentially be heading in the wrong direction.

To properly diagnose this problem, you need to tell us your hardware; and the exact version NUMBER of Lightroom and the exact version NUMBER of your operating system; and also how large the images are in pixels or megapixels (not megabytes), and the exact sequence of actions in Lightroom that are slow. Also, are you doing a lot of brushing and/or a lot of spot healing on your images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To narrow things down, LR takes 3-5 seconds moving from image to image in the Develop module. I am running Windows 10 64-bit, up to date and fully patched, 12GB of RAM, the latest version of LR Classic, updated yesterday, and I shoot in RAW.  LR itself is on my system SSD, and the catalog and previews are on a separate SSD. LR has not always been this slow, but I can't pinpoint exactly when it slowed down. I initially thought it was slow moving from image to image while building previews, but even when the previews have been built it is still slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is you computer monitor in pixels (not inches)?

How large are the original raw photos from your camera in pixels or megapixels (do not tell me megabytes)?

What is your CPU (exact make and model)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monitor 2048*1152

Original Raw Photos 5472*3648

Nvidia GeForce GT 740

Standard size previews

The point is these parameters have remained unchanged for a long time and it is only recently that LR has slowed down. I have reset the preferences file and done a fresh install of my graphics driver, all to no effect. I'm starting to think of reinstalling LR but wouldn't want to go to all that hassle if the problem remained

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your CPU (exact make and model)?

Also, are you doing a lot of brusing and/or a lot of spot healing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel i5 4570

No, i'm not doing much brushing and spot healing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, by today's standards, this is an old (five year old) and rather slow CPU, and could be the problem. I realize you said it seems to be getting slower over time, but increasing image sizes, increasing monitor size and increasing the amount of editing you do over time while keeping the same CPU could certainly produces these slowdowns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't believe a 3-5 second delay moving from one image to another in develop mode, when it used to be virtually instantaneous, is caused by any of these things. My monitor has remained the same throughout, my image sizes have not increased dramatically, and I

don't know what you mean by ' increasing the amount of editing you do over time'. And why is it happening only in the Develop as opposed to the Library mode, which is pretty much instantaneous. Same size images, same amount of editing ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you installed the 7.2 update that was released yesterday? It is supposed to benefit the speed for computers that have 12 GB or more of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines