• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone Tool Stinks: Do All Agree?

Participant ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would all agree the Clone Tool in Lightroom stinks, and the way it works is highly inferior to the clone tool in other software such as GIMP or Photoshop?

If you do not, in what way do you feel the convoluted and unweildy cloning function in Lightroom is superior to the intuitive and smooth working function of the cloning functions in the aforementioned other software?

Some more specific side questions:

How does one "set" the Clone tool to make the "clone"?    i.e. After getting the two circles into position, how does one activate the actual clone function? 

When cloning a large area, why can't one clone over a spot that was already cloned?

Why can't one change the size of the clone took once the two circles are formed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Lightroom does not have a clone tool. It has a spot removal tool. It is designed specifically for removing sensor dust spots, condensation bubbles and other small defects. It is not designed for other purposes. If you are using it as such, you will likely be disappointed.

The clone setting on the spot removal tool is a blending method-not a cloning operation. It is automatic when the tool is applied and relates to how the source spot is blended with the destination.

You can overlap spot removals

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

Rob Cole wrote:

* edit using... Photoshop

Personally, everything I convert in Lr (or in Capture One, or in RawTherapee, or in AfterShot Pro, or...) becomes a 16 bit tiff for further work in Photoshop - my workflow relies on plugins that Photoshop runs and Lr doesn't - so for me there's simply no case for comprehensive cloning funcionality in Lr. That's what Photoshop is for.

Point taken: If you make (big) tiffs for all your photos anyway, and use Photoshop on most of them anyway, then it hardly matters whether Lightroom has better distraction removal, or any other features already in Photoshop.

But as you know, not everybody does that. And I think it's safe to say that most Lr users really don't want to do that.

Keith_Reeder wrote:

I'd argue that glugglug's perspective (and mine) are perfectly valid.

Nobody is suggesting your perspective is invalid, it's just that we really want better distraction removal in Lightroom proper.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

But as you know, not everybody does that. And I think it's safe to say that most Lr users really don't want to do that.

Dunno Rob, for all any of us know, that's exactly the expectation of most Lr users - the point being that we don't know, so we can only speak about our own perspectives, and nothing I've seen suggests that mine is even unusual, much less exceptional.

What I will say is that I certainly don't consider that the static generated in various corners of the internet to be at all representative of the wider Lr user community - as we all know, internet forums are inherently the domain of the dissatisfied, so the noise on here is self-selecting, and not remotely "evidence" of a wider consensus that Lr is getting it wrong in any major way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough Keith.

I imagine nobody knows their users and their business as well as Adobe, so may as well give them the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines