• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content-aware healing brush uses data from outside the crop, should use what is within the crop

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR Classic 13.1:

First a minor bug, I can highlight the text of the build number in About, but ctl-c does not copy that text so I can't report it here.

The real problem, healing brush content aware remove does not work appropriately.

Here's the entire photo with the crop I'm applying.

AndyFraser_2-1708708778322.png

I want to use content aware remove to replace the stray branches at the left bottom edge, and I expect the content aware remove to use data from the image as seen, which is after the crop.

AndyFraser_3-1708708841660.png

What it actually does is use the building I had cropped out and puts that back in the frame instead of using the surrounding sky within the cropped image.

AndyFraser_4-1708708892831.png

The healing brush doesn't work very well either, it just leaves a smudge.

AndyFraser_5-1708708916956.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a first step try is to reset the preferences to the default settings.

Reset Procedure:

• Close Lightroom.
  • Windows: Hold down [Alt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
    Mac: Hold down [Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
  • Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
  • Close Lightroom.
  • Restart Lightroom.

It's recommended to backup your preferences before you reset the preferences to the default settings: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is odd, but I've tried several times but Alt+Shift then double click on LR, only brings up the Windows Properties of that program (the multittab box with General, Shortcut, Details, etc), using Windows 11.  LR itself doesn't start or offer the dialog to reset preferences.  The shift key does work, checked that in Notepad!

I've started the manual method, deleted "Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs" from the LR folder under AppData but will have to wait until later to restart and get the dialog to finish that change.  I'll update when that's done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The manual method specifies deleting the Preferences.agprefs file. I did that, leaving the Startup one in the folder.

AndyFraser_1-1708812488897.png

After I deleted the file specified, I do not get any dialog box about resetting preferences.  I first get a popup about "this update contains bug fixes... etc", then I get this one:

AndyFraser_0-1708812445808.png

I deleted both agprefs file, and same result.  No dialog to "upgrade" a catalog or pick a different catalog.

Instead I used File, Open Catalog to get back my original catalog (and chose don't show again about that Elements import).  I know LR has been reset since I get all those popups about how to use new tools.

I tried editing the photo again, cropped it, use the content aware tool, and same result, it replaced those lower brances with what LR thinks the house would be from outside the crop, not what the sky should be using the sky immediately above the brush, within the crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: "in About, but ctl-c does not copy that text "

Instead of "About..."- Use the MENU: Help > System Info...   and then either-

1) Screen-clip the on-screen report, to 'insert photo', or

2) Click the [Copy] button, paste into a text document, select only required text from the document.

Re: the healing brush content aware-  I notice the same type of results. The brush is rendering a result from the total image and not just the (visible) cropped portion. I don't know if this is a bug or 'by design'.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines