• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupt Lightroom Catalog

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recently working on a Lightroom 4 catalog that was saved on a G-Drive when the hard drive failed. I was able to recover the catalog using data recovery software, but now when I try to open it, Lightroom says it's unable to open due to an unexpected error. I've tried renaming the catalog, importing from a new catalogue, and opening various ways, but nothing works. The catalog seems corrupt. Help! Is there any way to recover the catalog?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 143 Replies 143
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PM Paul.... I know zip about the catalog structure and am in Uganda right

now!!

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 at 7:28 pm, AlGooldPhoto <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do Geoff, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoff, Hi Paul,

I have just come across a similar problem, the difference is that I did not have any problem with my hard drive.

I used lightroom last night and closed it as usual. I have back ups for most of my work, but I had a huge job that I imported 2 weeks ago which wasn't backed up and this will mean and incredible delay in my turnover. Only importing all these images again and the selection process would take so long.

Can one of you help me please?

Message says that the catalog is corrupt and to try and fix, but it won't fix either.

Thank you guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping I'm posting this to the right place so it will be seen!

Yikes, reading all this has me sweating! I have a similar problem to Mariachio, and a host of others. Here's the sequence of what happened.

I have been using Lightroom with an array. Yesterday, on import of a few pics, the previews all went psychdelic colors and lines - corrupted previews. I was in the same folder they were being imported to, (accidentally importing them in there) and tried to hit the space bar to look at one larger before import or previews were finished. I waited until it was all done with import and preview building, then selected them all and deleted the images from the disk, and tried again to import from the card - same problem. I quit LR - and chose 'backup' - and was told that LR was unable to backup and suggested checking permissions or that I should make sure I had space on my backup drive (which is also the array and I did have plenty of space). LR then quit. I tried opening LR again and got a msg that it was corrupt and needed repair. I clicked Repair and got a SUCCESS msg; but I then I decided to quit LR, to get the option to do a backup while I knew it was a successfully repaired catalog; but I got a msg that said I couldn't backup catalog, because I "failed the integrity check...but it would attempt repair when I reopened LR again", and LR quit. I believe I opened LR again, and got the 'need to repair' msg, and clicked repair again, and got the failure to repair msg again. After that, all of a sudden I get a MAC msg "OS X can't repair the disk "Master Digital Library" (my array). You can still open and copy files...but you can't save. backup the files and reformat the disk (my whole array) asap." It appears that this is related to the corrupt catalog. Maybe I caused it with that mucking around in the same folder as the import at time of import? But the problem is NOW that I can't write to the array according to the OS message.

Can you guys (Geoff or Paul) take a look at my corrupt catalog? I know you've done this ad nauseum by the posts here, but I would truly appreciate it.

Meanwhile, I have spent the last 15-22 hours copying the last half of my entire library off the array to other drives, so I have the most up-to-date XMP files and image files. I made an entire array backup on 6/17/15. I have a catalog backup from 6/30/15.

In doing that copying, I found two folders that were not copy-able, (error msg when I tried), and so I took everything around those. So it's not a complete disaster - yet! But before I do all the work to recover by reformatting my entire array and restoring from backup library and then using my backup catalog, I wanted to see if you guys had a workaround solution?

I now have the following folders on my array in the Lightroom Catalog folder: temporary previews and temporary smart previews. And since I can't write to the drive, I can't move anything to the trash. I tried copying those files to my external just now but I get error -43 - one or more required items can't be found. What's next?!

Desperate for help - I have 3 keynotes talks I was in process of building when this happened and have deadline of July 9th for them all!

Here's what disk utility tells me in this screenshot:

Screenshot 2015-07-03 18.14.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Paul - I too am worried. Before I give you the zipped catalog here's what else I can share with you:

When Lightroom failed to repair the catalog, it created four temporary files

Temporary Import Data.db

Temporary Import Data.db-journal

temporaryRepairCatalog Previews.lrdata

temporaryRepairCatalog Smart Previews.lrdata

The 'new catalog' it was in process of creating never finished, before I got the error again, so the new catalog shows less GB than my original file (that LR threw into a folder labeled corrupt catalog). And the 'new' previews folder it was creating is essentially empty.

Based on all the previous info and the above, I agree it doesn't sound likely that the catalog will be recoverable. Here's what I've done since writing this post, and what I am proposing to do next, but would love your feedback before I proceed. But time is essential for me now so I don't want to do more work than I have to to recover, if you get my drift.

1. When I first got the catalog errors, and then the OS X error last Thursday, July 2nd, and was told to back up files right away, I copied my entire RAW library off onto 2 external drives (except the two folders that had issues and wouldn't copy), so that I would have them with the most up to date XMP files. (I had done extensive work on files since my last array backup of June 17th.) So now, I have those RAW files with their XMPs and since they were copiable, and I have looked at a few, those backups seem fine and should be, right?

2. Then, I ran Disk Warrior (screenshot of first part attached). While it repaired various things, it states right in the first paragraph that it can't replace the directory because of a disk malfunction. And, it says a disk malfunction will likely worsen? I have no idea what the malfunction is, my Drobo doesn't show anything's wrong at all, but Disk Warrior says something's wrong. Based on DW's comments, I AGAIN copied off my RAW files - with the repaired folders included now - but only got half of them by last evening. It's taking forever, and I have another 90,000 images to go if I want to complete the process, amounting to about another 24-30 hours. And then I'd have to put them all back on an array to access them as I have bare drives that I back up to and only one cradle.

3. I have a catalog backup from June 30th. So here's my thoughts:

OPTION A.

1. Format my array and Run Disk Warrior on it again just to see if it's all read-write-able, etc., i.e. let it perform checks before I put things back on it.

2. Copy back all my RAW files to the array, but from the hard drives that I created on July 2nd, as I have the entire set of RAW folders (minus the two bad folders) on those external drives. These are pre-Disk Warrior repair, but they seemed fine and were readable when I copied them.

3. Take the two folders that DW repaired on July 4th, that had been bad, and copy those back to the array, too.

4. Run LR by clicking on my Backup Catalog of June 30th.

This puts me back to having all my RAW files on the array, and the XMPs that are most current sitting beside them. However, the June 30 catalog will have XMPs that are older for some files; will LR know what to do with that? Will I get the msg "Metadata has been changed by two apps, do you want LR to overwrite with settings or from the disk?", and if so, would I overwrite from disk then?

And, what happens to the Previews? Now that I'm on Creative Cloud Lightroom, I get a zipped catalog backup file. When I unzipped it, I saw only the lrcat file, no preview files as I used to see before C Cloud. Are they built into the lrcat somehow now? Confused about that point.

OPTION B.

1. Format my array and Run Disk Warrior on it again just to see if it's all read-write-able, etc., i.e. let it perform checks before I put things back on it.

2. Copy back from my full array backup of June 17th and 19th (I did the copying in two parts because it took that long to get them copied from the array to external drives).

3. Run LR by clicking on my backup catalog of June 30th.

With OPTION B, when I run LR, would I then be able to use the XMP data that is within the catalog (and not those from the June 17th backup of raw + xmp files?

What do you think? I'm leaning towards Option A, because those files that I was told to copy off SHOULD be fine.

With all my thanks for your prompt help,Screenshot 2015-07-06 09.24.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brenda-

I am really not an expert in hard drive recovery and don't feel comfortable giving too much advice where the hardware is involved. I am an expert in recovering Lightroom catalogs (specifically, the .lrcat file) when the corruption is in certain areas. If you are in a situation where you would like me to try and repair the .lrcat file then I can certainly give it a shot for you.

Having said that, here are a few points that might help:

I would personally be very hesitant to trust hard drives that are continuing to have corruption issues. If there are physical issues with the disks you are using the corruption problems may keep coming back up.

Previews can always be re-generated (although it may take some time.) I wouldn't worry at all about "recovering" previews as you can just re-generated them as needed.

If you've saved XMP metadata to the files, then if you re-import those files into Lightroom the data in that XMP should be respected. Note, however, that not all Lightroom data is in the XMP data. For example, pick data and collection information is only stored in the Lightroom catalog.

I'm sorry I can't help more. Like I said- if you provide the .lrcat file I can try to recover that file, but your most recent backup may be as good.

-paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Paul. I am putting the LR catalog into dropbox for you, will send link using your email address. On the odd chance that it's fixable. Since Disk Warrior said that it couldn't replace my directory anyway, I think I'm 'toast' when it comes to the actual files. But if I copy my backups onto the array after reformatting and testing (which will take some time), AND if you can fix the catalog, I'd be back up and running. If you can't fix catalog, at least I have a backup catalog to use.

One question though regarding previews. You said it would rebuild them, but it took HOURS to build smart previews for just the years 2012 through present. I'd hate to do that again if I don't need to, but will LR know what to do if we simply renamed those preview files from temporary to the normal name for them? Just wondering about that so I don't have to spend more time building what was already built...

-brenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Paul. I wonder if you could take a look at my catalog as well? Its corrupted and can't be repaired by Lightroom itself. I'm guessing the problem is due to two different user using the same catalog at once. Maybe, I don't know. Anyway, I need help.

/Fredrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

I have a back-up of all my pictures and catalog on my home computer, but every time I go on a trip, I rely on an ext hard drive and my MacBook Air.  I have made back-ups of the original files and of the catalog.  However, never realizing I was backing up the catalog on my ext HDD, where the catalog file itself resided... However, I did do "export as catalogue" (on my MacBook HDD) halfway through the trip, so I still have some amount of back-up of the trip, but I did most keywording, editing,.. after that day and wanted to do another export as catalogue when I noticed the ext HDD appeared to be empty. I have been trying desperatly to recover the ext HDD after a crash and finally succeeded (after 10 days) to get the lrcat file off (although the naming of the file is not the same).  When trying to open the file, I get an error-message as described above.  I also managed to recover two other .lrcat files (I think older catalogs from previous trips), but I can't find any folders or references to the trip I made where the disk failed.

As it is a "LR on the GO"-file, I also included some other working folders, so the total file size is 657,9MB, with roughly 4.000 pictures from the last trip, all edited, keyworded, put in collections, marked for delete, starred,... so if there is a way to get it back, I would be greatly appreciative! And I promise, I won't ever make the same stupid mistake again!

Hope you can help!

Best regards,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me running Lightroom CC after a spontaneous reboot (and I clicked "skip backup)I had the dreaded "cannot open" message. It took me a while because I could not remember where my catalog was saved. I did a drive search and found the locked file. I deleted it and still no luck. I still had the folder open and when I went back there was a new locked file. I deleted the second locked file to the recycle bin and tried to open Lightroom CC... a little slow and jumpy but it is open now. The date on the first locked file was from yesterday and the second locked file was dated today, strange I know. So FYI I am running Windows 7 and I never had this happen before, also I never hit "skip backup" and I did this time and somehow feel that may have been the problem??? Maybe. Screenshot 2015-07-27 00.53.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help for this exactly. I was importing photos to my catalog when an error came up and said my external hard drive had no more space and to tell me to try again. After which the entire program hung for 50 minutes until I had no choice but to force restart the system. When I turned it back on, this message came up:

"Unexpected error opening catalog. The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error."

Can someone please help me with this as my catalog contains images I really need. Let me know what I can do do help you help me.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lupcheong,

What system are you on PC or Mac?

When this happened to me with LR5 I had to go find where my catalog was stored and I was able to open from that location. I was running Windows 7 at the time.

Also, does you hard drive have enough room for the images you are trying to download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hey hi there I'n Mac OS X Yosemite rrunning LR CC. It was my external HDD that I was importing to that was running out of space, so a message popped up that alerted me on an importing error and then subsequently hung. I actually found the catalog in the folder too but nothing worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already seen this thread. Does not seem to address my problem.

Thank you.

Hamid Nawaz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appear to have the exact same error dialog regarding LR5.7.1 not loading after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. No other issues with the system whatsoever. Please help.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anyone available to take a look at my catalog? Was on the field and didn't have a chance to back up and of course now it won't open!!!

Thank you,

Jesus Marez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marezj2012, hamidn54830461, laneyd21, and lupcheon,

I can take a look at your catalogs to see if there is anything I can do to repair. I sent you private messages with details.

-paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, i'm in the same boat. Catalog file that won't repair and won't let me copy the catalog file to any other drive. When trying to repair I get the "encountered problems reading or writing from the disk"

Would love if you could take a look!

Thanks!

-Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

I sent you a reply email on gmail and then uploaded my file to dropbox and shared the link to you. Did you get my information or do I need to resend it? It has been over a month so I don't know if that is a normal amount of time to fix the corrupt file or I did something wrong. Some feedback would be nice. Maybe someone else can fix it?

Thanks,

LaneyD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, PM me when you get a sec. I'd like to send you the corrupted catalog. I recovered 930 mb of 974 mb with the SQLite3 fix floating around the web. Is there any hope for the other 44 mb?

My version of the SQLite3 fix was...

(A combo of this ...

How I Repaired My Corrupt Lightroom Catalog — Cape Digital

and this...

Connections: Recovering corrupt Lightroom catalogs

(this second one only necessary for the fix of the ROLLBACK text at the bottom after getting a restored catalog file with nothing in it)

Everyone, here are the steps outlined that got me most of the catalog back (for Mac)

Running OSX Yosemite on a Mac Pro, using OSX's default/included sqlite3 binary (SQLite version 3.8.5). (DOWNLOAD SQLITE3 HERE: SQLite Download Page - the right one for your OS can be found there; no need to do anything with the file you download except unzip it)

1. Fire up Terminal
  2. Navigate to the directory that contains your Lightroom Catalog (for noobs like me: when you open terminal you should see a line ending in evan$ or whatever your username is; add

cd pictures/lightroom

and hit enter - that will mean you have navigated to the folder where your Lightroom Catalogs are. You will have to change that of course if they are in a different folder.

1. Use sqlite3 to dump your Lightroom Catalog as an .sql file - enter the following and hit enter (I RETITLED MY LR CATALOG from "Lightroom Catalog" to "Lightroom_Catalog" because I was getting some weird duplicate file thing)
    echo .dump | sqlite3 Lightroom_Catalog.lrcat > Lightroom_catalog.sql

1. Then re-generate your .lrcat using sqlite3 and the sql dump you just created:
    sqlite3 Lightroom_catalog_restored.lrcat < lightroom_catalog.sql

1. Open your restored catalog in Lightroom.
  2. IF OUTPUT RESTORED CATALOG IS ZERO BYTES: open SQL file in Text Edit and replace last line of

ROLLBACK; — due to errors

...with the line:

COMMIT TRANSACTION;

1. THEN open in Lightroom

As a precaution for the future, I turned on Automatically Write Metadata into XMP (see here: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * About metadata and XMP )

Hope that's helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone still active from Adobe?  I'm experiencing a corrupt LR Cat after I finished a huge job and am already overdue in delivering it.  I'm devastated.  The catalog has a LOT of other work on it and I'm afraid, backing up has been non existent for me.  (in Lightroom)   Lesson learned.   If there is a way to recover this catalog, I would be grateful.   I have tried opening it in both my Laptop LR program and my Desktop LR program.   I've also attempted to import it to a new catalog, and that is not working either.  Help! 

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really an old thread. It was started about four years ago. Are you saying that you don't back up your catalog at all? Why? What happens when you try to open the catalog? Any error messages? Have you considered starting a new catalog and importing the images and starting over? Yes, I know. A lot of work. But if you don't have any backups and the catalog is corrupted it's probably your best alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were more recent entries, (Feb 2017)  And your comment is helpful, how?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,  I will admit I didn't take time to read all of the previous entries. But I did make an observation and a suggestion. If you don't have any backups then probably your best option is to create a new, empty catalog and import the images again and start editing the images again. It's a lot of work, I know. And you're going to be even later delivering your work. But at least you can get it delivered. And maybe, this time, you can schedule some catalog backups. Not a bad idea, don't you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, not helpful and your tone is even less helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines