Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after pressing Ctrl+Z Lightroom4 applies a certain preset instead of undo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem as well! It is NOT an isolated occurence.
I noticed it doing this after adding a bunch of presets to Lightroom that I found off the internet in various places. Maybe that is the cause somehow?

EDIT: I went and took out 1,238 presets which I had not really sorted through and just left in the ones that I use regularly and the rest of the presets that came with those "sets" so I have 341 develop presets now. So far no problems with the random presets getting applied when I use shortcuts AND Lightroom is MUCH faster...

UPDATE: It's back to doing it again and I haven't changed the number of presets or their settings. Guess I'm just going to have to restart Lightroom every two hours or so to keep it running smoothly. I sure wish Adobe would fix this somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem for the last couple of weeks, with LR 4.3 and now 4.4.

It doesn't happen at first, usually happens after some time, and start applying a preset when pressing Ctrl+Z. It also applies a different preset when Ctrl+Y is pressed. But If I save catalog, quit lr and load it again, all problem gone, until after some time when it starts again.

Everytim this issue happens, it applies different presets than the last load of the LR. Pretty strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've the same problem using LR 4.3 on Windows 7. Undo (whether ctrl-z or Edit Undo menu) runs another preset instead of undo; ctrl-z works just fine in other applications. Thankfully for me closing and restarting fixes the problem, but I've encountered this problem almost every second day it seems. I only have about 60 third-party presets installed.

My sense is that this problem starts for me when I do several exports at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just to make things clear : Ctrl-Z is not an overall operating system function. It is an admitted rule that when a user hit Ctrl-Z in an application, the program should undo the last action. Whether the application actually does something when Ctrl-Z (or Alt-Bsp) is hit is a decision of the developer. The only exception is when the application uses some interface element provided by the operating system (e.g. an edit field) and when the Undo feature is built-in.

An Undo operation cannot be implemented without having a deep knowledge of the application internals. So only the application developer can code it. There's no idea of a system global Undo function triggered by Ctrl-Z that would work with any application.

So if Ctrl-Z doesn't work when editing an image in Lightroom there are only 2 possibilities :

- There's a bug in Lightroom

- Some keyboard utility (keyboard remapper) installed by the user is capturing the keystroke and doing something wrong that is fooling LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samoreen wrote:

So if Ctrl-Z doesn't work when editing an image in Lightroom there are only 2 possibilities :

- There's a bug in Lightroom

- Some keyboard utility (keyboard remapper) installed by the user is capturing the keystroke and doing something wrong that is fooling LR.

By the way, I suggest that everyone having this problem looks at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings.txt (if the file exists) in order to check whether the Ctrl-Z key has been re-assigned. Non english speaking users should look at the file corresponding to their language.

Normally you should find this line in any TranslatedStrings.txt file (except for the english language - see below)

"$$$/Application/Menu/Edit/Undo/Key=Cmd+z"

If the file doesn't exist on your system (which will normally be the case for those using the english language because in that case everything is hard-coded), create the file, add the above line, restart LR and see whether this fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2013 Apr 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.
I have the same problem even updated to LR4.4 and this is VERY annoying.

i can reset it by restarting LR, but after sometimes, it appears again and you will never know when!!

It is very frustrating specially whn you do a lot of tweaking on a photo, after that, you try to undo a small step. BAM! POLAROID BLUE FILTER. and you are done.

sometimes even Exit does not work, it put a tick near exit and did not do anything.

it is simply not the problem of shortcut string. it is a problem of the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2013 Apr 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem since my last update a few days ago.  It happens by using ctrl+z as well as from the edit menu.  This is obviously not an isolated incident.  Any solutions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2013 Apr 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when I hit the page setup option from the file menu, another preset is applied!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all the above option and at last ive put a feedback on

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/ctrl_z_applying_preset_rather_than_undo_change...

if u have the same problem, plz go and help push it by following post.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to post to the photoshop feedback page for some reason!

I restrated LR, which I should have done in the first place.  It does appear to have temporarily "fixed" the problem, but we'll have to see how long it lasts based on the comments of others.

I found that it was not just ctrl+z, but also ctrl+y, and the page setup function from the file menu.  Using any of these gave me a miscellaneous preset.  A different preset for each shortcut, but still a preset!

I agree Tass Yu, it definitely is annoying and slowed down my workflow since I had to keep going into the history menu to get back to my prior edits.

Help Adobe Please!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the ctrl+z issue for some time now.  I'm not really sure how often because I rarely use undo now for fear of the preset being applied.  I have also had a preset applied when I clicked on exit.  As mentioned earlier the program doesn't exit, but applies a preset to the current image and a check appears next to exit.   One of the great features LR is the batch processing and I'm getting worried that at some point a random preset will overwrite a large group of pictures.

I can't believe this issue hasn't been fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably use LR different than most.  I'm an event photographer and create a new catalog for each event.  So if my catalog is broken, it's not as big a catastrophy as if I had one catalog for all my pictures.  Plus I have a very specific workflow that allowed me to figure out what, in my workflow, seems to break CTL-Z.

I can't live without CTL-Z.  I use it like breathing.  It makes me want to quit being a photographer when it's broken.  So my motivation to find ways to live with this problem were absolute.

Here is what I have discovered:

CTL-Z breaks (for me) only if I ask LR to do "too many" parallell tasks.  And if does break, a restart of the catalog fixes it every time.

A common example of "too many" parallell tasks would be:

- I'm exporting to jpg a folder of a few hundred images,

- while that is still running I export a second folder of a few hundred images,

- while those two are running I move on to a third folder and find I need to make a WB global change

- I hit CTL-A to select all, then hit CTL-S and sync white balance

and boom - CTL-Z is broken.  I then wait for the exports to complete, then reboot.

It's not completely consistent when CTL-Z will break, but empirically, it seems to be when I'm doing bulk operations during an export.

I find if I let the exports complete before moving on to anything too complicated, my CTL-Z remains functional, job after job (after job).

Maybe this will help someone else,

Trish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trish.tunney wrote:

It's not completely consistent when CTL-Z will break, but empirically, it seems to be when I'm doing bulk operations during an export.
I find if I let the exports complete before moving on to anything too complicated, my CTL-Z remains functional, job after job (after job).

Maybe this will help someone else,

Trish

The ctl-z functionality is still (LR5) completely broken during bulk exports or publishing.    If you press crl-z whilst developing and have a background export or publish going then ctl-z "undoes" the recording in the images state history that it has been exported or published - this is applied to which ever image happens to have just exported when you press it - effectively randomly one of your exported images.   Not only does the undo not appear to work from the users perspective but also one of your exported images now has incorrect history information.

This has been raised as a problem some time ago here ...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_the_undo_mechanism_is_effectively_br...

Alan

PS - My suggestion to the LR team was to record the export in the image history but not the users "undo stack" - aside from causing this problem it is not logically possible to "undo" an export or publish as LR cannot actually undo (ie unpublish) these operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant Alan, thanks!

I KNEW it had to have something to do editing during my exports. Now you've got me wondering what edits I have undone right before delivering to my clients. Good thing I sit on my hands during the exports now. Fingers crossed some day it will be fixed.

Trish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.   Despite knowing this for over a year this bug still catches me out - thank heavens I rarely work with Auto-sync switched on to modify multiple images, because not being able to undo such changes would seriously mess me up!

I feel this is actually a very serious bug and I am dissapointed it is still not fixed,  but it seems not many think so - if you would like to see it fixed, you could add your vote (the +1 button) on the problem report I referenced.  

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Alan,  I tried to hit the +1 button to no avail.  It required an account but when I tried to log in using my adobe account and I got a message saying no more Photoshop.com accounts can be created.  Apparently it's moving to a new home — Adobe® Revelâ„¢. over the next few months,

Trish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK no worries... glad to be of help.

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem now using LR5 - this is so annoying....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this too on several occasions.  It is definately a LR problem because if I go to edit menu and click on undo, it also applies the random preset.  Yo, Lightroom team, please fix this ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue. Multiple support chats and calls and no fix at all. It is an intrinsic element of the editing process and key function of the software. When bulk editing we try various presets to seek an overall feel to an image and require the means to roll back these presets using Undo. Once this problem strikes all CTRL key functionality is lost and all CTRL functions apply Presets, even rendering you unable to quit with CTRL - Q (X Close window still works). Optimisation, Resetting the Catalogue etc all offer no solution. Im using Windows 7 64 Bit and LR 4.4 64 bit. I won't be buying anymore Lightroom software until there is a clear resolution.

This should have immediately been flagged to a developper and there should have been a response by now. This is the line I will be going down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have also experience a similar issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2013 Aug 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me too. Removing Lightroom from anitivirus firewall blocking list solved it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

I've been dealing with this same issue for some time. After seeing your response I said, "What the heck. I'll give that a try."

As of now, that seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks!

Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2014 Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm having the same problem too. Does anyone knows how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the suggestions/workarounds in this thread?

It may well be a different cause for different people, so we don't know if yours is the same problem - just that you've got the same symptom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines