Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable full image presets in latest update

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I just installed the new update and while I appreciate most of it, there is a gigantic issue with presets now: whenever you hover one preset, it not only previews in the "preview" image in the top left corner but also in the full image, which is fine... unless you're editing a stitched panorama over 200 MB when the computer crawls to a stop.

I don't have a bad computer in my opinion, with a 7700K and enough RAM and disk space to handle it, but this is just unbearable now.

Is there any way to disable the full image preview in the settings ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this is a feature that you should be able to disable. It is very dstracting to have the whole image flash into different presets when moving the cursor around. It freaks me out and is VERY distracting. I like to see what my presets do to the image right when I click on them, not when I hover over them.

PLEASE LET US DECIDE if we want this or not Adobe.

Many thanks,

Houston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding the option to disable this feature would be great. I have a reasonably new and powerful iMac but this feature makes my editing incredibly sluggish. I'm sure it wouldn't be so annoying if I was only editing a couple of photos casually, but I'm working through thousands of photos on a daily basis and it's really slowing me down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be turned off as follows:

I have removed this content - It is not an officially released and supported procedure to change this behavior in LR.

Adobe is aware of this and is working on a solution.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this only for Windows? I cannot see where you would put that file in macOS. I tried it anyway and it hasn't changed anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same procedure: Open the presets location ...

Here's a listing with all folders and their equivalent: Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom 6

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that doesn't work. In the system info it says that the preview is disabled, but when hovering over them in Develop module the same thing is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should work. I don't have a Mac to test ... let me ask/check ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on 7.3.1 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the 7.3 version that is what has caused the problem. I am now trying to do an update to Lightroom Classic CC via the Desktop CC app thing as it says there has been an update that addresses issues with presets. However, the update is stuck at 3%. Tried twice and it just won't do anything. Honestly, I don't know how much longer I can continue to experience this crap service from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that now that I am now on 7.3.1 (Adobe's server finally decided to give me the upgrade) and following the instructions above have worked. Many, many, many thanks for that!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dallas68  wrote

Sorry, that doesn't work. In the system info it says that the preview is disabled, but when hovering over them in Develop module the same thing is happening.

It does work on my Mac, so you probably placed the config.lua file in the wrong folder. It has to be in the root user folder, so in user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/. Not in a subfolder of that folder. Or did you perhaps check the option to store your presets with the catalog?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my W10, Step 4 opens the top level Lightroom folder in "AppData/Roaming/Adobe/..... , not the root preset folder.  Do I then work down to the User preset folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it on my Late 2016 loaded 15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar and it did stop the preset preview on the main window.  However scrolling through presets is almost just as bad, very sluggish and jerky as the small upper left window renders the preset preview.

This never occurred on 7.2, but I think the older version allowed you to scroll fast and it would not render until you slowed down.  The fix above seemed to force it to render every preset no matter how fast you scrolled through the list.

So the problem is more than just rendering the preview in the main window.

I've again reverted back to 7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

I tried it on my Late 2016 loaded 15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar and it did stop the preset preview on the main window.  However scrolling through presets is almost just as bad, very sluggish and jerky as the small upper left window renders the preset preview.

This never occurred on 7.2, but I think the older version allowed you to scroll fast and it would not render until you slowed down.  The fix above seemed to force it to render every preset no matter how fast you scrolled through the list.

So the problem is more than just rendering the preview in the main window.

I've again reverted back to 7.2

It's pretty smooth on my 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar, even with a 5K screen connected to it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on mine.  I tried rebooting.  Maybe it has to do with the 15" having a discreet graphics GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be. Have you turned off 'Use Graphics Processor' in the Preferences - Performance? I did because of another bug: the glitch that briefly shows the previous image in the crop tool.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so fed up with this, I'm not going to download the latest 7.3 version again until Adobe posts an official fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, F. McLion. The Lua script is working for me. Hindrance removed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the LUA.

I needed to deactivate this function. I like the idea, but it deosn't work properly on my computer:

- when I hover on a preset, the full size preview is on

- when I hover off the preset, 50% of the time, the full size preview doesn't revert to the initial image.

So I have to go to one of the development paramters, click on a box (doesn't have to change the value), and then I can see my actual parameters.

Each time I go with my mouse from the presets to history, my mouse hovers very quickly a lot of presets, and there's always one for which the preview doesn't revert to the initial image... very, very annoying.

I'm glad this can be deactivated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preset preview can be useful and save time; however, the hover needs to be adjusted. Perhaps if the icon to the left of each preset description was the only active area to trigger the preview it might be more effective. As it stands with 7.3.1, using a stylus, it's almost impossible to select one preset and move the tip/mouse away without triggering the preset preview above or below. And then as you move your stylus or mouse to the right side of the develop module, the unwanted preview sticks and takes too long to get back the preset initially selected. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please point me to where I can find this lua script and how to use it ?

The automatic live preview of the presets in the full image has taken its toll on my nerves.

Normal working is not possible anymore.

Please either Adobe fix this right away and include an option somewhere to toggle the behavior on and off.

Or some nice user here please send me some info on how to fix this with a lua script or whatever.

At least the Adobe staff should not have remove the critical portion from this thread, at least other users are fixing the stuff which adobe is no able to do...

Many many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frasiercrane  wrote

At least the Adobe staff should not have remove the critical portion from this thread, at least other users are fixing the stuff which adobe is no able to do...

Adobe staff didn't remove it. The lua file, which is unsupported, was removed by the individual who shared it without authorisation. Sorry, that we cannot be more helpful at this time.

Please ensure that your Adobe account is set up to allow Personal Messages or includes your email address as this is the route that Adobe can contact those whom they may wish to investigate this issue with in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please point me to where I can find this lua script and how to use it ?

See this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic: Add the possibility to disable full image preset preview | Photoshop Family Custo... . As of 5/13/18 9:45 am PDT, the config.lua file is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible by turning off the setting for "enable hover preview of presets in Loupe" in the Performance tab of the Lightroom Preferences!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, this has been added in the latest release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines