• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

During Lightroom Import PC Grinds to a Halt

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last major update to Lightroom I have noticed that when I import or export images to or from Lightroom it will utilise nearly all of the CPU's capacities rendering any other task on my PC almost impossible to undertake. Youtube videos become a stuttery mess and even the mouse stutters as you try to move it across the screen. This effectively means I have to leave my PC alone so Lightroom can finish it's task before it can be used again.

In the previous update it didn't seem to do this and though it might have been slower it still meant I could carry on with other tasks on my PC at the same time.

Is there a way to limit Lightroom from utilising all of the CPU's resources during import and export?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and have found that minimizing Lightroom during import seemingly solves it, or at least makes the computer usable during that time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the OS you are using, in the admin tools for your computer, you should be able to lower the base priority of Lightroom before launching the Import dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've actually tried this on Windows 10 and even assigning a single core to LR didn't make any noticeable difference, it would still grind the entire computer to a halt (mouse lagging, audio playback in other programs starts to stutter, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic is a known CPU hog, you realy should not be running other programs while using it, Perhaps a bit of Photoshop, and of course some plug-ins, but not extra goodies like a yourtube video, CPU/GPU extensive Games, other CPU hogs.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that the Adboe techs could care less about background or co-occuring applications.

/Edit/ Aother running programs. Especially Chrome

https://improvephotography.com/51701/import-photos-lightroom-faster/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, a few things to try. These relate to getting your images imported into lightroom quicker. Mind you some of these are meant to get that SD card copied quicker, and imported into your catalog, as to get that SD card back in your camera, not to spped up your workflow.

1a. Copy the images to the correct folder outside of lightroom. Do not import at this step. This to get that SD card copied the quickest.

1b. After the copy (above) Import in Lightroom (ADD)

2a. When importiung, do not create any previews. Do not accomplish any presets. THis to get that catalog populated the quickest, using the fewest resources.

2b. IF you have time to twidle your thumbs, create those previews, Otherwise let LR do that when you go to edit. (unless SmartPreviews???)

3. In the Import dialog, down bottom left, a minimized import, Basically no previews, etc. (That triangle pointing up, show fewer options)

4. Do not Copy as DNG

5. One odd one, probably not in affect, do not create second copies

6. Do not create xmp sidecar files

7. What other programs are running? Especialy Chrome (see third link)

https://www.creative-photographer.com/how-to-save-time-importing-photos-into-lightroom/

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/lightroom/lightroom-tips-ways-speed-importing-images/

https://improvephotography.com/51701/import-photos-lightroom-faster/

Now some of those tips are for getting the import done quicker, they may actually slow down your overall workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't import straight from SD cards or as DNG, so that part is covered-- the rest of the suggestions are all about skipping the actual importing tasks (building previews).

The thing is, aside from my pretty sturdy mid-2017 PC, I also have a ~2013 iMac, with no nVMe hard drive, and with an infinitely worse graphics card (a GTX 780M), and that one has no problem at all importing hundreds of pictures and building previews for them as I actually use not only Lightroom, but the rest of my computer.

The windows version of the app can't possibly be that much slower.

P.S. yes, I reinstalled Windows from scratch (twice) since I got this PC, and Lightroom Classic has had the same problem throughout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you stated PC, I assume WIN OS.

A couple of non LR issues to chceck. Note that both of these can get changed back to defaults with OS updates, and GPU updates.

1. In Windows OS, see item 8 "Change Power Settings to High Performance to Optimise speed" in:

11 Tips to Speed Up Windows 10 - PCMag Australia

and in that same link, see item 11,"Turn Off Search Indexing"

Might want to read the entire article'

2. I have no idea if you are using an NVIDIA GPU, but read this (AMD might have similar):

https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

3. And while you are looking at your GPU, look at it's driver, up to date? Use the app that came with the GPU to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

responding in reverse order: have 1 and 2 set up and Windows 10 performance has been the same with a Geforce 1070 and an AMD 570, through multiple driver updates, so that doesn't cause the slowdown on my end (don't know about OP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually forgot about this question and sent another similar one in April of this year. Nothing has changed since this question was originally posted.

Since then I have entirely upgraded my PC and still have the same problem. Importing images isn't so bad but the exporting process is horrendous! The only "solution" I have found is setting the priority under task manager - details - Lightroom to "Low". This at least stops my mouse from stuttering and other programs are able to operate but Lightroom will use any available CPU power remaining meaning the CPU still runs at 100% capacity. Also you have to change the priority each time you reopen Lightroom as Windows does not remember those settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try minimizing Lightroom as it imports files and see if it helps? It's still the only thing that made any difference here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

update: I messed with all the settings again, and disabling Smart Previews seems to have alleviated the problem significantly. (I had those turned on as advised somewhere earlier, in one of the "how to speed up Lightroom" help articles). Not sure if turning these off will be annoying for workflow in the long run, but it sure made the import process much lighter on the CPU-- no mouse lag or any of the other usual side-effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines