Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Message Server Busy During Startup

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During LR startup I get a Server Busy Window that says

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose switch to to activate the busy program and correct the problem.

This does correct the problem but why is this necessary and how to I get rid of the error during start up?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

A fix to Lightroom's “Server Busy Error” on a Windows 7 64 bit computer:

I see in the discussion threads there are a LOT of frustrated people over this Server Busy issue, so I hope this helps someone. This is what Adobe tech support had me do, which fixed my problem. I got through on the phone right away, and the fix took no longer than 20 minutes to determine, with the support person remoting into my computer.

• I already had Lightroom 5.6 installed through my Creative Cloud subscription, and it h

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen the "server busy" error message (for LR or Dreamweaver) in about 4 months now but I did nothing specific to address the problem. I upgraded to Windows 10 which included a complete reload of the OS and, as I would expect, a lot of old nuances went away. I'm not sure I would recommend an OS upgrade to fix a problem (seems kind of heavy) ... but if the problem truly is a Windows related issue and not Adobe, then it may be a more realistic solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. I am using Windows 7 and until last week everything was fine. I updated to the latest DW version and this problem started up since then. I disabled my Anti-Virus, disconnected all external drives (as suggested by others) but to no avail. I have reinstalled DW and still the same problem. I have had to go back to use my DW CS6 so that I can get some work done, but that is painful with Responsive Design as it was never compatible with RD with Bootstrap. Lots of fun as you can imagine. No wonder people are moving to WordPress and Joomla. This is just hopeless and expensive. Why am I paying 18€ a month for a product that does not work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I contacted the Support line via Chat. They logged in to my PC and in 30 minutes it was all up and running. Great work guys as the support desk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started getting this same message when I attempt to open Dreamweaver 2014. Will try the steps someone shared before I call our corporate IT department. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for Photoguy815 .

Thanks for your tip , it works for some days but now same problem pops up. Any suggestion  or solution for this ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2015 Mar 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the steps as well and it didn't work.

Then I did nothing, and it worked.

Then it happened again, tried these steps again...nothing worked.

C'mon Adobe...get your act together and fix this freakin problem once and for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2015 Mar 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it says server busy and had option for  ' switch to ' , I opened Photoshop , It works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After striking this problem this morning, I googled 'server busy Lightroom' and found comments on another forum. It was suggested that having a second hard drive connected to the computer could be causing the problem. I have a second hard drive plugged in that backs up my files. I switched it off and Lightroom started working again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just developed this problem with Dreamweaver. I'm using 64 bit Windows. I pretty much followed the instructions and got a message I needed to license the software again. After doing that the program (Dreamweaver) booted and repeated the statement I had 0 days trial left and needed to register the software again?? OK so then it booted. On the next boot (normal boot - not as admin) I get the 0 days trial left message again. This is not looking good. I'll reboot the PC and hope for the best. I've got a sneaky suspicion this issue is not going to resolve itself. Sign off and re-boot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got this prolem since the upgrade to LR6. Sadly Photoguy's solution doesn't help me.

Hey Adobe... any ideas? This is really frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel for you photopoeth_

The solution from Photoguy works on the principle of cancelling your CC membership (or or product registration) by removing those critical files. It should work on every Adobe CC or licensed product. I've only got the problem with DreamWeaver but I've pinned the cause down (probably won't do much for you) to the link with 'edge inspect' and Google Chrome and my mobile phone that also uses Edge inspect CC.

Maybe (I'm only guessing here) you are on the trial version of LR? I think you have to register it before you can wipe out the registration info and start again. Only guessing mind you but I can't think of any other reason why a usually stable app would not respond to Photoguy's solution. Did you by any change keep the old version when you upgraded? That could be why the fix isn't working.

Please let us know if you discover what the cause is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rydia,

thanks for your feedback. To your questions:

I am working on a licenced version (CC photographers bundle) of Lightroom. But you're right I didn't uninstall LR5.7 (because I wanted to have the option to work on it if the new LR version didn't work). Do yopu think it would help to uninstall the previous version?

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really cant advice you on that.

Perhaps a chat session with Adobe support might shed some light on the issue. I know when I accidentally removed a font used by Photoshop's print manager, Support were very helpful fixing the issues that resulted. I have no hesitation in giving an Adobe support engineer access to my workstation. By watching what he did, I can fix it myself if it happened again. Why not give them a chat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your helpful comments, Ryadia...I don’t really have anything to add except that Photoguy’s strange fix is still working, although this morning before LR 6 opened I got the “switch” message. I thought, “Here we go again!” but just waited a bit and it finally settled down and opened normally. As you know I am not a Cloud member. I’m reluctant to move SLCache and SLStore back to their original folders, so will leave them on the desktop for now. Hopefully Adobe will soon come out with 6.1 to handle this annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Judy,

You know there is no need to move the cache files? Just re name them and leave them where they are. My Dreamweaver crashes with alarming regularity when I set about to paste header or footer information into several pages. I often build a header and a footer for web pages as separate files. When I'm done building a site, I put all the links in place and past the header or footer into all the other pages. This is when DreamWeaver is prone to crashing. Sometimes halting the whole system and requiring a re-boot.

I haven't had to problem with Lightroom (yet). But I've got a 1000 shot shoot coming up soon. I'm guessing when I start trying to work fast with it, it too will flood the memory and freeze the system. I'll let you know if I find the actual true cause of this happening because it doesn't seem to matter what program it is, the 'fix' seems to work with all of them.

Those files we move or rename are to do with Adobe's anti-piracy measures. Every time you start your program, it checks to see if its registered. 'Server busy' messages could be because your service provider tries to feed you the link from a cache called a 'proxy server' some of them use to save bandwidth costs.

Truly... There are dozens of possible reasons. The fact Adobe software is as stable as it is really is quite remarkable but I suspect more and more it is relying on faster access to work seamlessly. When I changed providers last year I noticed a definite slow down starting any Adobe program. My access speed had dropped quite a lot. When I moved back to the old provider starting Photoshop stopped taking so long.

Anyway,

Cheers for now.

Ryadia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the very same issue, albeit intermittent since upgrading from 5.7 to 6 (perpetual licence). I never experienced this with 5.7. I wonder if it is something to do with the annoying 'trial' of LR mobile which keeps telling me when it's going to expire (and which I don't want anyway) and can't find a way to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have LR6 upgraded from 5 and unfortunately the same busy server message...still looking for an answer.  Don't have cc and don't want it....so looking for solutions to fix this issue.  Thankyou for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'Server Busy' error and the 'Switch to' error messages are Windows problems, not Lightroom or Adobe issues. Lightroom is just the program that exposes it.

Windows software has a habit of installing 'Services' (Processes) that hog memory. Get too many of them and these error messages will start to show... Not just with Adobe software but a variety of different apps can produce this message.

Even Adobe acrobat reader; Surely its on everyone's computer? Installs two services at boot time. One to check for updates and one to keep the program halfway loaded, ready for instant recall when (if) you need it.

Control-Alt-Del while your PC is running will give you access to start the "task Manager". Under the 'performance' tab there is a resource monitor button. The screen you get when you hit it will tell you (amongst other things) how much memory is being used and the processes (services) running and how much memory they are consuming. A lot of these are of no value. Many are probably left over from uninstalling software that doesn't un-install properly. Another huge Windows problem for those who "try out" software before buying it.

I'd strongly suggest you get hold of a decent system management program and tune up your computer,  if you constantly get these error messages. If you can't do it yourself, get an experienced Windows technician to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your response.  I did check out the task manager and looked under resources and the entire list is at 00 under usage.  There were a lot of programs listed...but...could not find the hog for the cpu usage...as they all said 00,

I have spent the entire day researching on line and looking for an answer...appreciate your time.

sincerely

brenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brenda...

I feel your pain...

After my second uninstall and reinstall, Lightroom 6 loaded fine for me for about 4 days but today I got the Server Busy = non-responding = no go message...I checked the Resource Monitor and it says I’m using 21% of my memory...That doesn’t seem like so much. The CPU column for nearly everything except my Trend Micro and the Resource Monitor are also at 0...I do have different numbers showing under Threads, but I don’t know if that’s relevant to what Ryadia was saying.

I’ll just go back to Lightroom 5...It’s not worth this aggravation just to get the new HDR function...I’ll see if I can get my money back.

Judy M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou soo much Judy!  I really appreciate your reply!!!  I too see similar ratings on my computer..so....I have lightroom 5.7 and it runs really great...no issues at all!!!  So...will most likely use it as I love it and have had no issues ever with it.  I hate to give up on programs...I search until I am blue in the face...and then purple...then...finally give up...and return the program.  I so appreciate your help and comment and Ryadia's comment.  Nice to hear from you both today...!!!!  Have an awesome day....and I am sorry you are having an issue with your lightroom 6 too.  I thought about re installing it...but had not done so yet.

Warmest Regards!!

Brenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some difficulty, I reinstalled Lightroom and installed the .1 update...I’ll let you know if I start having problems with it again...I’m giving Adobe one more chance, it seems...

Judy M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Judy! I hope it works for you…so that I understand…you uninstalled and reinstalled lightroom 6 and updated it?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Sincerely

Brenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that’s right...Uninstalled LR 6 and then reinstalled it from the web site rather than from my earlier downloads, and updated. (I did notice during the process that I wasn’t asked to enter my LR 5 license code in addition to the LR 6 code..that was an improvement.)

However, after I wrote the last comment I tried opening Lightroom again and darn if I didn’t get the dreaded Server Busy message. But this time when I tried Switch it actually opened.

I don’t think the problem is solved yet. I’ll keep you posted...

Judy M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgraded from LR 5 to LR 6.  Because of some other problems, I ended up reinstalling my entire operating system yesterday and everything else, including LR 5 from scratch.  Still getting the "switch to" error.  Ridiculous.

Am currently downloading an update of some kind. We'll see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines