• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else notice that lightroom 4 is slow? Ligtroom 3 always ran fast on my system but Lightroom 4 seemlingly lags quite a bit.

My system is:

2.10 ghz Intel Core i3 Sandy Bridge

8 GB Ram

640 GB Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

It's now impossible to see the wood for the trees in this whopping 43-page long thread.  Many of the original 4.0-4.2 performance issues have since been resolved, and it's impossible to figure out who is still having problems, and what they can try.

I've started a nice clean thread to continue this discussion for 4.3 and later. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117506  Thanks to Bob_Peters for the suggestion.  I'm locking this one, otherwise it'll continue to get increasingly unweidly, but please f

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1716 Replies 1716
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4 is VERY slow for me, but I wish it was "only" that... I also find the way he converts the image to the new version, really horrible.

In the new engine, all my images look greyish.

Here's a sample (crops), first the original (Lightroom 3 "2010" engine), then the new version (Lightroom 4 "2012" engine):

Cattura1.JPG

Cattura2.JPG

I simply can not accept this detriment in image quality.

Orio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using new lightroom on two computers. On both it is very slow. On both there was no performance problem with LR 3.6.

On one of my cmputers I have imported just around 40 JPEG-s to test new lightroom and it is a horror. Sloooow with just 40 JPEG-s?

Also removing ajustment sliders for chromatic abberation is a mistake in my opinion. Sometimes i have to work with files stripped from data and now there is no tool to correct it. I dont want to say that new automatic feature is bad but it is bad that adobe have removed manual sliders.

I know it is not the topic here. What really makes me sad is that if you want to use couple of new cool things that came with lr4

you have to deal with things like slowlyness and usable stuff like chromatic abberation sliders being remowed.

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with sluggish sliders in LR4. LR3 was and still is much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add me to the list for what its worth...Has Adobe issues any sort of formal response yet?  I can't see one...I've loath to run the process that some have suggested here because my cat is HUGE  (10k+RAW)  would take all nite to re-create previews...

re-draw is so slow I can see the pixels being created....same catalog as LR3....Also added 400 new RAWs yesterday to the LR4 catalog and still no effect.  Running Mac OS 10.6.8, Mac Pro, 12GB RAM.... Opening LR3 works without a hitch...  Can Adobe please respond formally....This product is not usable!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 is horrible!

Well, on my system it is anyway

It's very slow and unresponsive compared to LR3, fans are running like crazy just for cropping a few images (high CPU heat) and overall conversion from LR3 to 4 is a nightmare.

this happened to a catalog iI used to test LR4 with:

LR3 import, no editing yet, besides lens correction (screenshot/cropped):

a.png

and the LR4 'conversion':

b.png

The 'auto tone' function isn't as much fun as I thought it would be either...

Auto tone LR3

Disney_2012_8537_LCD.jpg

and the same thing (yes I did reset the image both times!) in LR4:

Disney_2012_8537_LCD-2.jpg

If this doesn't get fixed soon I will just go back to LR3 and be happy with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto on all accounts.  I have an Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 with 8GB on Windows Vista 64 with an Nvidia GeForce GTX280 and 10,000 RPM drive.   This is the workhorse my business relys on and I often process/cull 500-1000 images in about about 60-90 minutes.  Not anymore!! This will take all day on LR4 - totally unusable.

As noted by others, every slider movement brings image flicker and painfully slow redraws.  I generally resize every image and do so in LR3 in a scant flash few seconds. Even switching modules in LR4 is slow. Something is seriously wrong with LR4 and if I open Photoshop after LR4 it's even worse. This was not my experience on the the initial use - or even number 2 or 3 - but it started after I experimented with the MAP/BOOK modules, made a few imports and had the APP hang my computer.   I thought the app got corrupted do i reinstalled with no impact.  Since then the product acts like BETA - not a commercial grade release.

Lightroom 3, still installed, smokes and will have to suffice because too much to do and too little time to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded today, lightroom does a screen refresh/reload after each edit, its getting to the point where a refund seems like a good option. 2.8 i5 imac, 4g memory, and its like editing in treacle.

I know this was a cheap upgrade, but may have to go back to 3.6, unless this is a passing glitch this 'upgrade' was a complete and embarassing waste of money.

Just gone back into LR3.6, and on balance, I am going to junk LR4, I played with the LR4 beta, didnt get these problems, I like the new sliders and controls in the develop module, but as I dont use the book/video features, the downgrade in basic editing capability is not worth the upgrade(?) price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my two cents as well, i upgraded over the weekend, and thought it was a mistake how slow export was. After having done several, I can say, it has nothing to do with beta (I had deinstalled it completely) and nothing to do with importing LR3 catalog stuff. I imported, massaged and exported 4 or 5 new sets and the exports which were simple resolution resizes and saves to jpgs were redonkulously slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sry Adobe - I having the same Problem and my lightroom 4 iss very very laggy and slow.

If you cant speed up, i dont buy lightroom 4

Photoshop CS5 ist 10 Times Faster on my System as Lightroom 4

THATS REALLY FU.....ED

------------------------------

CPU:                            6 Core - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3,2Ghz Black Edition
Mainbopard :                 Asus M5A88-M Evo, AM3+, DDR3, SATA3, USB3.0

Grafik :                         HIS Radeon 5770HD 1024MB DDR5 DUAL DVI-I

RAM :                          4x4GB Corsair Vangeance CMZ16GX3M4A PC12800 1600Mhz @ PC10700 -> 1333Mhz
Working OS HDD :        Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA3 SSD 600MBIT
Working OS :                Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor :                       2x Acer 23Inch Wiedscreens with 1680x1020px
Win 7 System Index :    7.5 (CPU 7.5 - RAM 7.5 - Aero 7.5 - Gaming 7.5 - HDD 7.9)

-----------------------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the Beta (uninstall etc). I did not try the Beta.

It's not a Mac problem, I have a W7. 64 bit, i7 quad core, 16GB upper end system

Not using 2 displays

Not running any other apps

Very slow and unusable.

Dont know if i can go back to LR3.6 easily

I rated 10's of images and created/added to a collection...might have to lose that..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried to post a message on the Photoshop 'official' bug report forum?

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_0_reacts_extremely_slow?utm_medium=email&u...

I can't get it to work with Firefox or Opera.

No wonder they are not escalating this problem. We punters cannot even report it there and this is supposed to be no more than a User to User forum.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are about 30 people commenting and following that thread Tony, so it should be monitored by Adobe.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_0_reacts_ext remely_slow?utm_medium=email&...

It works fine on Chrome if you want to add your comments to it.

Cheers

Message was edited by: hamish niven typo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

30 or so commenting so far?  Not sure what it takes to get their attention as a bug on another Adobe product I use has 36 "votes" on it and this is Adobe's put -- "we have reproduced the problem, but unfortunately, it does not get high enough priority to address in our current release. We track follow up messages and votes info for each bug".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Lightroom blog tweeted for issues and concerns and linked to the board this discussion appears on. So they're listening. Can't say I'm impressed by their reticence to reply, but at least the lights are on and someone is home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed LR4 30 day trial on to my Mac mini (quad core server version with 8GB RAM. dual disc - photos on HD, applications on SSD) to try it before deciding whether to pay for the upgrade.

I imported my LR3 catalogue file into a new LR4 catalogue so that it regenerated all of the previews as part of the import.

So far it is running quicker than LR 3.5 (I had not installed 3.6).

Having said that I have not yet tried any major image editing with LR4, only library functions & exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I subscribed to this thread...boy was that a mistake!  Given the HUGE number of issues with this and the nearly as huge number of fix ideas, why can't Adobe simply offer their 'official' recommendation how to upgrade from a prior version like delete previews, cache, etc.... There doesn't seem to be any one single way some folks are trying to fix this...and some try and succeed, some try and don't..... why oh why can't adobe just offer something up?  Adobe, are you listening??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The experiences on migrating to LR 4 are much akin to Apple's Aperture 3 introduction.  I wholeheartedly agree with a "best practices" LR 4 installation/optimizing procedure, as this animal certainly has its own personality.

Personally speaking, the Map and Book features are of no value to me.....it would be great to have a LR 4 "slim" package without them, as I suspect they contribute in some way the the performance issues that many see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have removed the 'Book' and 'Map' modules from LR4 and for now it looks like it's speedy again. Feels responsive like LR3 was!

Going to test it now wit a full catalog coming from LR3 and see if that goes any faster than before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'removed' meaning you just toggles the view off?  Can't understand why that would make a difference....??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I have removed them from LR4.

In MacOS

- rightclick on LR4   ->   Show Package Content (or similar, I'm not using the English version)

- open contents

- open plugins (these are LR4 plugins used by tha core LR4!)

- remove the plugins (not all!)

- reboot LR

ETA:

Not sure why but I can't add images anymore to this forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah....OK..just did that...My photos are now actually coming up faster but all of my panes in LR greyout for about 2 seconds before they come back....in Dev mod....So I scroll to next photo and then for 2 sec all left pane and right pane elements are inoperable...eg on histogram, etc.  Interesting to note that the Library Mod does NOT do this...it actually is faster than the Dev module and responds pretty well.... historically its been the opposite..... UGH UGH UGH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yeah I did notice that too. Seems like the delay is for LR to get the info on the image.

In Dev mode selecting another image indeed greys out the panes for a second but only to gather the info on the image (all modifications and settings I think).

Maybe that part of the delay is related to SQLite engine, which LR uses to store data?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have removed the 'Book' and 'Map' modules from LR4"

How do you do that? I don't need video, slideshow, print or web. Happy to dump them.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, this is interesting....when I move from photo to photo in Dev module, all the dev sub modules like tone curve, cam calibration, etc... ALL of this turn on then off       during the scroll....what I can't figure out is what is causing what.... is the slowness causing all these modules to switch on and off or is the switching the cause of such this unacceptable delay btwn each photo..... just wanted to share this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running dual quad core Xeons with 12 gigs and a beefy iNvidia graphics card. Whay is LR4 such a sluggish POS? I have no ability to incrementally adjust any slider. Movement is in herky jerk chunks. I am not a 'that's close enough' kind of shooter, but that is about all I am able to get from LR4. How could Adobe release such a POS? I stayed away from the beta to avoid all these problems. I should have stayed away from LR4 all together! And please, don't tell me to do a clean system install. Don't tell me to convert my 400,000 image catalog to the new process. I have work to do for clients, not for Adobe's Enginnering Oversight committee. What a joke.

I do want to say that the some of the new develop module features are amazing....the tint, noise and temp brushes are brilliant ....ITS JUST THAT THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK WITH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines