• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else notice that lightroom 4 is slow? Ligtroom 3 always ran fast on my system but Lightroom 4 seemlingly lags quite a bit.

My system is:

2.10 ghz Intel Core i3 Sandy Bridge

8 GB Ram

640 GB Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

It's now impossible to see the wood for the trees in this whopping 43-page long thread.  Many of the original 4.0-4.2 performance issues have since been resolved, and it's impossible to figure out who is still having problems, and what they can try.

I've started a nice clean thread to continue this discussion for 4.3 and later. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117506  Thanks to Bob_Peters for the suggestion.  I'm locking this one, otherwise it'll continue to get increasingly unweidly, but please f

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1716 Replies 1716
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been reading around on this topic, because it seems the higher end your machine, the laggier LR4 becomes.  I was using it on a 2011 Mac Mini with a dual-core i5, and I thought it was downright snappy.  I see lot's of people that are complaining running quad core processors.  Is there any chance this has something to do with the way kernel task scheduler is managing the threads for LR4?  some kind of race condition or looping that causes a very inefficient processor that works fine on a dual-core machine but comes out on a quad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 17, 2012 Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running a very new (purchased to run LR4) Quad-Core, 8Gb Win7-64 system.

It has built-in Intel video -- all drivers are up-to-date.

My performance is just fine -- I can see no difference between LR3 and LR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had very sluggish LR4 after upgrading from LR3. I tried dng conversion trick, deleted preview file and cache. After rendering all previews again LR4 runs like LR3. Especially process 2012 photos seemed to require a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding LR4 is running reasonably well, compared to LR3. However, is it just me that's finding 'waking-up' the sliders a problem?

For those of us who remember up-grading from LR2 to LR3 (at least I think it was that up-grade?), one of the things we had to contend with was re-educating ourselves to 'wheel-click' the slider triangle (or whatever we are supposed to call them) to activate it. I now can't quite remember how it worked in LR2 - I think that by just hovering over the slider (or triangle) it became active if you wanted to simply roll the mouse wheel to make adjustments. Nevertheless, I'm now finding with LR4 that wheel clicking on the slider triangle is hit and miss (more misses than hits). Time and time again, I'm finding that I'm accidentally scrolling up or down the right hand panel. So, I'm now having to re-educate my brain to left click on the triangle before moving my finger to the wheel to begin any adjustments.

I know it's only a matter of an additional move of my finger of about 10mm and takes a fraction of a second, but it's disproportionately frustrating. I hope there is a fix that will come bundled with other 'responsiveness' fixes in due course.

Otherwise, I still remain a huge fan of Lightroom.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also experiencing unusable slowness in both the beta and final LR4. After the following tweaks, it's at least as snappy as LR 3, and a bit faster in several areas. First my computer specs.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor

8 gigs of ram

5600 RPM 1TB drive

Windows 7 64bit

Here are the things I did to my system to speed it up.

1. Add exclusions to my antivirus real time scan for *.lrcat, *.lrdata, and the location of the directory that holds all my catalogs. The steps vary between antivirus vendors, so check yours for specific steps. The idea here is that your AV is not reading every write Lightroom makes to scan for viruses. This speeds up disk IO in Lightroom quite a bit since there's not another program accessing the files at the same time.

2. Disable windows indexing down your Lightroom catalog tree. You can do this by right clicking on your main catalog folder, and then properties. Under attributes, hit the Advanced button. Uncheck the box for "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties". Hit the OK button. On the folder properties panel, hit the OK button again. A Confirm attributes dialog will pop up, Make sure it's asking to disable indexing, and the "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files" radio button is selected. Then hit the OK button. It'll take a bit to process for large catalogs. The idea here is the same as the previous tip. You really don't want anything accessing your catalogs while Lightroom is trying to read/write them.

3. For desktop computers, disable CPU power throttling and hard disk sleep. For laptops, it can shorten your battery time when you're unplugged, and it's up to you if you want to make that tradeoff. You can always switch between profiles too. In the "Power Options" control panel, click on the create power plan link on the left hand side of the pane. Pick the High performance radio button. Name the plan whatever you like. Hit the Next button. Make sure the turn off display and put the computer to sleep dropdowns are set to Never. Hit the Create button. Now on the Power Options control panel, hit the Change plan settings on the right side of the new profile you just created. Then hit the Change advanced power settings. Hit the Hard disk twistie to open it, and then open the Turn off hard disk after twistie. Click on the blue part of the Setting: under the "turn off hard disk after" twistie. Set it to 0. That disables the hard disk sleep. Hit the OK button. Then on the Edit Plan Settings window, hit Cancel. (kind of counterintuitive, but it saved the hard drive setting.  Make sure your new plan is selected in the Power Options control panel, and close that window. This ensures your system always has 100% cpu resources, and the hard drive never shuts down. The default usually slows down the CPU to save energy when the computer is idle. However, there's a ramp-up delay that can cause things like sluggish sliders in lightroom. You also don't want to be waiting for your hard disk to spin up if it goes to sleep. 

4. When you start Lightroom, It's CPU usage at normal priority seems very conservative. Anything else that wants CPU time gets it, interfering with Lightroom. You can fix this by starting Lightroom, and then hitting control-alt-delete, and opening "Start Task Manager", Go to the processes tab, and click on the "Image Name" heading to sort the list alphabetically. Then find lightroom.exe, and right click on it and select Set CPU Priority in the popup menu. Then select either "Above Normal", or "High". Either one should work, but I use High. At this point Lightroom should be very responsive. The only problem with this step is you need to do it every time Lightroom starts. There is a way to save the priority however. I found a neat program called Prio Priority Saver. Google it. Once installed, it will save your priority choice you make in the above task manager step. I'm sure there are others as well. Prio is free for personal use, and $20 for your business.

I hope these tips help you, but as always; "your mileage may vary" These steps are what got me to the point where Lightroom 4 became fun again. The next thing I plan on doing is getting a SATA3 SSD to run my current catalog on, archiving to the 1TB drive whenever I switch catalogs. That'll remove any disk lag I've got from my slow slow hard drive.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Subdood has found part of the problem... disk access. All the

posts talk of systems with real fast processors, lots of memory.. but no

comments about the disks. I compared disk access between LR 3.6 and

LR4.0 and found that LR4 really pounds the disk for every import, slider

move, etc. when compared to LR3.6

Doing what Subdood says does reduce the disk access and improves

performance... but the real question is why does LR4 thrash the disk?

I know ADOBE is working on this but this may be a area they may want to

investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at LR4 really pounds the disk for every import, slider move, etc. when compared to LR3.6

I can't believe that LR does anything with the disk for slider movements other than write to the database. That wouldn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, before I did the tweaks I did, it was hitting the disk hard every slider movement. Now it seems to be less severe. I think it is indeed updating the database real time, and if you know SQLite, you know it's not exactly the highest performing SQL engine out there. It is however, free, and available for every platform, and easy to manage with automation. It's the lowest common denominator.

It seems it's updating the database every single action that generates an event in the history. What they could do, is cache the updates to ram, and flush them either when the user is idle, or at regular intervals. It seems like Lightroom 3 did that to me. There's a performance issue there that I'm sure Adobe will find and resolve, but I'm 90% of the way towards being 100% happy with Lightroom 4 after futzing some more performance out of Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What they could do, is cache the updates to ram, and flush them either when the user is idle, or at regular intervals.

the same thought I had, I can't image Adobe would design it to write to the HDD ith every single slider movement. It's not causing me any trouble, but if it is set up that way it would seem a performance gain could be realized by caching to ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files and catalogs are on external HD's BUT they are USB 3.0.  Access on the sliders is fast IF the second monitor is off.  My issue seems to be with the video draw to the second monitor.  I have an i7 running Win 7 Pro, with 12 gigs ram, and an nVidia GTX 260 with 2 gig RAM.  The latest drivers as of today are loaded.  The slider slow down on my setup only occurs with the second monitor enabled. With the second monitor off, the slider is almost instaneous.  With it on, a 1 - 2 second delay, especially on the new sliders...  I am using LR4 (as opposed to LR3 - had same setup on LR3 with no issues)  The intesting part is that it doesnt matter if I am using process 2010 or 2012, the deciding issue in LR4 (for me) is if the twin monitors are on.  One monitor and the speed is fine.  Everything thing else, including all the plug-insn(OnOne, Nik, Alienskin) all work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with shamus1585 on the second monitor. I'm running a raid 0 on ssd, quad core, gtx 260, 8 gigs of ram, and I get the slidder problem with dual monitor. 1 monitor and much faster, some lag but not as bad when the second monitor is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it's specific to nvidia? I have an ATI, and I haven't noticed the laggy slider issue with both displays on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any readers using two monitors where it's slow with the second, what type card are you using? 

I noticed BoHandsome and I are both using GTX260 NVidia cards.  Mine was a special that came from Dell with 2 gigs onboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any readers using two monitors where it's slow with the second, what type

card are you using?

I noticed BoHandsome and I are both using GTX260 NVidia cards. Mine was a

special that came from Dell with 2 gigs onboard.

Mmm. Mine is a nVidia too - GTx460. I don't have any ATI cards to swap it

out.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I'm experiancing the same high CPU usage when I have 2nd monitor active too.

WorkStation

• AMD Phenom II x4 (2.5Ghz)
  • 6 GM RAM
  • ATI Radeon HD4850 (Primary Graphics) Primary display
  • ATI Radeon HD3200 - On-Board (Secondary) Secondar Display
  • Windows 7 64-Bit

Actions completed to date

• Moved calalouge (upgraded from 3.6) to a new catalouge.
  • Excluded Picture libarary and lightroom catologue files from AV realtime scanning.
  • Moved secondary display from primary graphics card to on-board graphics card.

Sumamry

I'm sure the actions I have performed have made some fine-tuned improvments.  The main issue is still the CPU usage with the secondary monitor active and I'm still getting delayed responce on occasions when sliding development settings.  These are worse when 2nd Monitor is enabled.  This was never the case in Lightroom 3.6 and I can hear my CPU fan going mental for the first time.  Lets hope 4.1 is arround the corner to address this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

Any readers using two monitors where it's slow with the second, what type

card are you using?

I noticed BoHandsome and I are both using GTX260 NVidia cards.  Mine was a

special that came from Dell with 2 gigs onboard.

Mmm. Mine is a nVidia too -  GTx460. I don't have any ATI cards to swap it

out.

Bob Frost

Just bought a Radeon 6870 card. It doesn't make a lot of difference compared to my previous GTX460; slightly faster, but then the  card is faster overall.

Also tried an older 8800GT card, and various ages of drivers with all three, but no magic effect on the secondary monitor problem.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

Just bought a Radeon 6870 card. It doesn't make a lot of difference compared to my previous GTX460; slightly faster, but then the  card is faster overall. Also tried an older 8800GT card, and various ages of drivers with all three, but no magic effect on the secondary monitor problem.

On my fast Win7x64 desktop, the answer to the secondary monitor problem is NOT to use the lens correction panel. Use good lenses and unless there is something that obviously needs straightening out, don't correct for lens aberrations. DON'T use lens profile corrections as an automatic initial preset if you want to use a secondary monitor. If you have to use lens corrections, turn the secondary monitor off.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, but on my system, didn't seem to make a difference.

I contacted NVidia and was advised:

"Lightroom 4 does not use any GPU acceleration for its User Interface or filters nor does it use it for RAW file decoding. Were not aware of this being a NVIDIA bug.

Adobe seems to be aware of this problem and is investigating it along with a few other hot issues. "

Guess we'll have to wait for 4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia GTX560TI 2048MB Graphics Card.

I also experience very slow performance when using two monitors. Are there any AMD users using two monitors to give some feedback?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia GTX560TI 2048MB Graphics Card.

I also experience very slow performance when using two monitors. Are there

any AMD users using two monitors to give some feedback?

Just ordered an ATI card, so I'll be able to test this theory tomorrow!

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, let us know.  Mine LR4 is fine on single monitor, and while I can temporarily live with it that way for a while, I hope Adobe fixes it. Sliders in develop are instanteous (altho screen refresh takes about a quarter of a sec - a guess) with the one monitor.  

I also hope (ADOBE -  IF YOU ARE LISTENING) that its not an issue when CS6 comes out as I DEPEND on two in Photoshop!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Access on the sliders is fast IF the second monitor is off. My issue seems

>to be with the video draw to the second monitor. I have an i7 running Win

>7 Pro, with 12 gigs ram, and an nVidia GTX 260 with 2 gig RAM. The latest

>drivers as of today are loaded. The slider slow down on my setup only

>occurs with the second monitor enabled. With the second monitor off, the

>slider is almost instaneous. With it on, a 1 - 2 second delay, especially

>on the new sliders... I am using LR4 (as opposed to LR3 - had same setup

>on LR3 with no issues) The intesting part is that it doesnt matter if I am

>using process 2010 or 2012, the deciding issue in LR4 (for me) is if the

>twin monitors are on. One monitor and the speed is fine.

Agreed. I've just done a lot of expts and the second monitor is the critical

thing. I can have noise adjustment, lens profiles, chromatic abberation etc

all on and working fine, UNTIL I say show the second monitor and then the

slider response almost stops - only works in jerks after a second or two.

Win7x64

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding version 4 to be very slow also, I'm hoping building 1:1 previews of my entire library (doing it now, will take a few hours I'd imagine) will help out.  If it does I'll report back.

My LR4 system is an early 2011 Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM and quad 2.4GHz i5.  Every other CS5.5 piece of software runs silky smooth, just Lightroom being a problem child.  I am hoping the preview build will help, otherwise I'm stuck with a combination of Finder and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just completed an intense seesion of keywording, metadata entry, and cataloging of MOV files in LR4.

I was expecting the work to translate to all products in the CS line. To my chagrin, none of the work transfers into Bridge, OnLocation, or Premiere, we just expected that keywording and metadata entry would be consistent throughout the line. Consistency in the handling and displaying of metadata (along with severe slowness issues) across the CS line needs to be addressed.

Back to square one on this task.... On the plus side, at least we caught this pitfall in the first week rather than at the end of a cataloging marathon. I dislike complaining...However, you should know that trusting Adobe and LR4 just cost me four days of my time/labor and several hundred dollars in (wo)man hours. Testing the metadata fields (between software you intend to use for handling your files) early in the game; This is the unfortunate lesson of the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blind Monk wrote:

I just completed an intense seesion of keywording, metadata entry, and cataloging of MOV files in LR4.

This is an entirely different issue and would be better served by it's own thread...better not to contaminate a thread with OT posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines