Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

exporting from lightroom in 'highest resolution possible?'

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres a pickle:

I completed stills for a film in Sunday. This is unusual in that the film editor is going to edit the stills into the final film.

I'm working with the editor to ascertain exactly what format he wants these images in. The fim is being shot with HD video, and the editor keeps telling me he wants the images in the "absolute native Pixel dimensions of the RAW image".

I shot raw images with a canon 5D Mark II, so technically, I believe this would be approximately 5,616 x 3,744 (of course, this would vary for each image, but this is the data I have read about the camera sensor).

I shot about 1,000 images, so to deliver 1,000   images, output as TIFF's, at something like 4,000 pixels each seems insane to me, and unnecessary, but perhaps I'm wrong...... Can anyone provide input?

Thanks a million

San Fran Ellen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

If the images are meant to be displayed fullscreen (like a still, in a timelapse, or in stop motion), you can give the person HD size frames (HD 1920x1080 or 2K size 2048x1536). To be safe, I would use TIFF 16bit depth with ZIP compression. Any editing tool should read that.

If the images are to be manipulated in editing (zoom,crop, ...), you might want to give 4K resolution (4096x2160).

The raw files (DNG, NEF, ...) probably won't be loaded into an editing software (FCP, premiere, avid, ...).

Not

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export without resizing, as JPEGs set at 8 or 9 (TIFFs are probably unnecessary).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images are meant to be displayed fullscreen (like a still, in a timelapse, or in stop motion), you can give the person HD size frames (HD 1920x1080 or 2K size 2048x1536). To be safe, I would use TIFF 16bit depth with ZIP compression. Any editing tool should read that.

If the images are to be manipulated in editing (zoom,crop, ...), you might want to give 4K resolution (4096x2160).

The raw files (DNG, NEF, ...) probably won't be loaded into an editing software (FCP, premiere, avid, ...).

Not knowing the details, a safe bet could be 2K TIFFs.

Luc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

output as TIFF's, at something like 4,000 pixels each seems insane to me, and unnecessary, but perhaps I'm wrong...... Can anyone provide input?

You are absolutely right of course. It is insane. There are a lot of myths in these fields that a lot of people believe in despite evidence of the contrary. HDTV is really low resolution with respect to a file produced by a 24 MP camera. The highest res that is common in high def (1080p) is only 2MP resolution!!! Because sometimes you just got to give these folks what they want, you should probably just follow Lee's advise and don't resize on export. This gives you "native" pixel size but of course is complete overkill. Jpeg at quality >90 is visually indistinguishable from tiffs so if you can get them to accept that that is your best compromise between quality and disk space requirements. Even quality 80 will not be visible. A typical 24 MP jpeg at quality 90 should be around 5-10 megs depending on the subject, so your 1000 images end up max around 10 gigs.

P.S. The very best quality for the final product is obtained in a way that most of these folks will think is crazy but actually works. What you do is crop your images to landscape 16:9 (the HDTV standard), and export to precisely 1920x1080 pixels in the sRGB space and use standard sharpening for display in the export. Jpeg at quality >90 is just fine. If this gets transferred to the HD product without panning/zooming/scaling/cropping, you end up with the very best quality you can get and you'll only use 1 MB per image or so. However, if they intend to pan and zoom you're better off increasing the export resolution to at least 2k pixels vertical, or just giving them full resolution. Note that a landscape image of 2k pixels vertical has an area resolution 4x higher than the HDTV standard!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS ALL SO HELPUL! For the record I tried to mark all three of you 'right answer' but it seems I'm not allowed to do that.

I'm taking bits of everyones advice, and Jao, it is great to know that I am not crazy!

That said, this man is being very insistent about native pixels. He keeps repeating it and I think your all right, ultimately I need to give him what he wants.

Not checking resize on export was really key. I went ahead and did tiffs like that. Of course, now the files are rediculously huge, but the client has agreed to bring a hard drive literally to my doorstep, so no skin off my back, right?

Thanks again, I cant tell you how helpful you all are!

Ellen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ellen,

Before I forget, you should very likely use sRGB as your export color

space. sRGB is almost exactly the same as the native HDTV color space

barring some insignificant details and using it will ensure that you

don't lose color saturation when the images get used in a non color

management aware video editing or mastering app (many aren't!). Just a

small tip to be aware of as Lightroom defaults to a wider color space

in the export panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oho! Thank you! I was in the midst of sending them in Pro Photo--I'm switching ito sRGB now--thanks for saving my you-know-what!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jao, your P.S. instructions are exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you. I do a lot of time lapses and these steps maximize the quality while saving on disk space. Note that I use LR 3 and have not really been impressed with the export video options. They are lacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines