• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop

Contributor ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is exporting images to Photoshop as Layer 0 not Background.

Can someone help me fix this?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

I don't understand it, I didn't write anything about Transform adjustments.

By @Regina Melo

The bottom line is that it could be any edit that creates non-image space in the photo, usually shown as empty white edges. Not just the Transform panel, that’s only one example. Any edit that pulls content away from the edge will create an empty area that’s converted to a transparent region in a Photoshop document. Because transparent regions are not possible with a flattened (Background only) Pho

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom or Lightroom Classic? What version NUMBER?

Are you truly exporting, or are you using the Ctrl-E (Windows) or Cmd-E (Mac) command (Edit In...)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic version 12.1, and I am exporting going to File > Export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use Transform adjustments, yes that's what you get. There will be transparent areas and it has to be Layer 0, not Background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, hadn't noticed before as I usually constrain crop, thanks for that. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but is this an answer to my question? I don't understand it, I didn't write anything about Transform adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to know why you are getting Layer 0 instead of Background. That's the reason. Because of adjustments made in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand it, I didn't write anything about Transform adjustments.

By @Regina Melo

The bottom line is that it could be any edit that creates non-image space in the photo, usually shown as empty white edges. Not just the Transform panel, that’s only one example. Any edit that pulls content away from the edge will create an empty area that’s converted to a transparent region in a Photoshop document. Because transparent regions are not possible with a flattened (Background only) Photoshop document, a document sent from Lightroom Classic with transparent regions must be non-flattened (Layer 0, no Background) to accommodate transparency in Photoshop.

The demo below shows at least three ways that you can end up with empty white edges:

• Merging a panorama from multiple images, because the result is always non-rectangular until cropped. After cropping, the hidden irregular empty edges are not passed on to Photoshop because what Photoshop receives is trimmed to the crop, but the document is still non-flattened. 
  • Transform panel options, as others pointed out already. 
  • The Distortion option in the Lens Corrections panel with Constrain Crop disabled. A positive Distortion value pinches the edges to reveal empty white edges. 

There may be other features that create empty edges; those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Lightroom Classic empty edges 800x433 1.5x.gif

One way to prove this: Start with a normal single frame image (not a merge).

If you apply only non-transform adjustments and Edit in Photoshop, it should convert to Photoshop as flattened (Background only).

If you apply any transform adjustments like those shown above, it should convert to Photoshop as non-flattened (Layer 0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting PNGs with transparency to Ps will open them as Layer 0.

What file type are you exporting as?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.3.1 Photoshop 25.9, ACR 16.3.1, Lightroom 7.3, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.0, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines