• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External Editing - Change Color Space

Participant ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting color space in the external editing prefs it's limited to four options.

I work in Rec.709 is there a way to customise this?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is a RGB editor. For broadcast video or HDTV you will more likely find rec 709 editing in applications like Adobe Premiere Pro.

Lightroom presently has limited functionality with video files and footage would need to be opened directly in an

external editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question isn't rec.709 specific. My question is why are the external editing options limited to four color spaces when via the export menu all the system spaces are available? and is there a way to add to these four.

Assuming to know my workflow is very presumptive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because Lightroom was designed for photographers by photographers. Sorry I don’t know any other reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a photographer. I'm not sure of your point.

Then again I could be a blacksmith and still have the same question.

I'd also suggest Lightroom was designed by Adobe to make money (from photographers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest a feature request here:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because a photo master file should always be in a standard color space, and these four are the only ones that qualify. Even P3 is very iffy, but it will probably become more widespread in time.

Rec.709 has a reference black point at value 16 and a reference white point at 235. Values beyond that aren't hard clipped, but pretty compressed and there's some strange math going on there. You will lose some data by converting to Rec.709.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't about the master file and who said it was a photograph?

Your answer does not address my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the wrong application. You should be using Photoshop.

For Lightroom's intended use, what the application is actually written for, Rec.709 makes very little sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The creators of LR clearly disagree with you as they let you export in Rec.709 and any other profile you choose. Just not through the external editing options which is my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could consider a third party plugin. Our colleague John Ellis has one for look up tables. See if this link is of any help:

http://www.johnrellis.com/lightroom/exportlut.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines