Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Size Discrepency from Photoshop to Lightroom

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I discovered that my file sizes were unable to upload from Lightroom as PNG to Adobe Stock.  (I do a lot of digital work for game engine so I just typically save for web in PNG and became a habit).  However, I also discovered that the file sizes were in the kb's rather than at least 4 MP as minimum size for Adobe Stock.  So I have since resized and resaved to JPG.  But the odd thing I discovered this morning is that after saving files as JPG they were still too small despite what appeared to be adequate sizes.  Is there a technical understanding I am missing?  Example Images Attached.Sunflower Left 554 kb Right 4 MB.JPGSunflower 6 MP.JPGSunflower 107 MP.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

MP (megapixels) is not file size, but the pixel count of an image.

So 4 MP means 4 million pixels. An image measuring 2000 by 2000 pixels will be exactly 4 megapixels.

The image you have at 1200 x 1800 pixels is 2.16 megapixels, and therefore smaller than what is required.

So you have to resize to pixel dimension that when multipied are over 4 million, like for instance 2000 x 3000.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP (megapixels) is not file size, but the pixel count of an image.

So 4 MP means 4 million pixels. An image measuring 2000 by 2000 pixels will be exactly 4 megapixels.

The image you have at 1200 x 1800 pixels is 2.16 megapixels, and therefore smaller than what is required.

So you have to resize to pixel dimension that when multipied are over 4 million, like for instance 2000 x 3000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you!   And yes, of course

So minimum should be 2000 pixels on either side! 

Apologies for such a novice question but truly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't really think the minimum has to be 2000 pixels on either side.

2000x2000 is indeed 4MP, but so is 1000x4000 and so is 2667*1500, and many other combinations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, yes that makes sense mathematically as well.  Curiously I was confused by the image size reading 6.18 M (as this is what I believed indicated that the file was indeed over 4 M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the image size dialog in Photoshop uses M for megabytes instead of the commonly used MB, which can be confusing.

So MB = megabytes (file size), and MP = megapixels (pixel count).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, now that makes sense! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...and just to add some stock knowledge:

files that get up-scaled are at risk of being refused just because of that reason.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines