• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding files in LRC on new laptop

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have installed LRC on new laptop (PC). Experiencing 3 issues.

1 - it can't see the folders on my portable hard drive that I used on old PC with no issues.

2 - when I import, it renames the folder to date only.

3 - it keeps reverting to Import function while I am processing photos.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  How did you move to the new computer?  Did you move the catalog?  What was the drive name on the old computer and is it the same on the new computer?

2.  Can you provide more detail about how you import?  Can you post a screenshot where it shows the issue?

3.  Are you importing large numbers of image files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, thank you for responding. My problem has now been resolved with Adobe help. I had hoped I didn't have to import each folder from my portable drive, but as I don't use Cloud storage, that is what I need to do. Unfortunately it has also resulted in losing my Collections.

I had selected organise 'by date' on importunwittingly, hence the renaming of folders.

Kaye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had hoped I didn't have to import each folder from my portable drive, but as I don't use Cloud storage, that is what I need to do.

I would strongly disagree with importing the photos. When you do this, you will lose edit history and virtual copies and collection membership, and you will possibly lose all your edits and all your user-provided metadata. It seems as if Adobe gave you incorrect advice.

What you want to do is use your catalog file, transfer that to the new PC, point that LrC catalog to the location of the photo files on the new computer, and then you don't lose anything. Full explanation here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..... My problem has now been resolved with Adobe help. ....

By @Kaye29799041jmmd

The help you got was unfortunately wrong.  Your photos were in a Lightroom catalog on your old computer.  You need that catalog on your new computer.    The directions from dj_paige are spot on.   Please consider starting over if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
OMG, that's crazy. I was concerned that I'd lost my collections also. I thought there had to be a better way. So will follow dj.paige directions.

I also have an issue with LR consistently taking me to Import, even when I'm in Develop module. Any suggestions to stop this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines