• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble making a mask without halos

Contributor ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I must be doing something wrong. Surely Lightroom can make a mask that cleanly darkens an area by -1.00 without creating horrible artifacts.

Here's a detail of the "straight" image:

Overlay off.jpg

Here's with the overlay on to show the color range mask. What's causing the white ring?:

Overlay on.jpgHere's what happens when I reduce exposure by 1.00:

-1.00 exposure.jpg

Is there a way to avoid the dark and light rings around the area I’m darkening? 

Thanks,
Russell

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me at first glance, that the image you're editing already has significant artifacts, and by darkening the selected area, you are creating contrast that just amplifies the artifacts in the original image. 

Are the screen shots showing part of the image at 100% zoom (It seems probable). What size is the original image, and what format is the original image? Perhaps it could benefit from some AI sharpening or similar work prior to trying to create a 1-stop adjustment along those edges. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the quick response, Michael. 

Those aren't artifacts on the photo—it's a shadow from an outdoor chair, and the sun is passing through a tight plastic mesh as the metal tubes make a dark shadow., creating sort of a moiré effect. But I can see how the software might be confused by it. 

However, I do find, even with clean edges, Lightroom has a tendency to make halos and dark lines (often adjacent to each other) when I make reduce an area's exposure by 1.0 or more. I notice it even more often when I use the HSL luminence slider to darken a specific color. Hence, I’ve started doing that sort of thing with masks, either in Lightroom Photoshop. 

I wonder if having the ability to feather mask edges in Lightroom might help. I find myself sometimes editing the mask Lightroom has made by using the feathered edge of the brush tool. It would be nice just to have feathering slider. Sometimes there's just no alternative to diving in to Photoshop and pushing pixels around!

Thanks for your help,

Russell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines