• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help I do not want my photoshop edits to be saved to lightroom or show up by the originals

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help I do not want my photoshop edits to be saved in lightroom filmstrip or show up by the originals. I don't want them stacked either.  I only want the original in lightroom with the basic LR edits I made. I then send the image from LR to Photoshop to fine tune my editing.

Is there a way to turn this feature off.  It has only started happing to me recently.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the LR forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear to me what you mean when you indicate that this only started happening recently. I have been using Lightroom for many years, and whenever an image is sent from Lightroom to Photoshop the workflow has always returned a finished image (PSD or TIF) to Lightroom. It has been a round-trip work flow, always. If you don't want that then don't import the images into Lightroom in the first place. Simply open them in Bridge or Photoshop. If you are working on raw images, and choose to send the raw image to Photoshop, it will always be necessary for Photoshop to save an image in a different format. So it isn't clear to me anyway what it is you are attempting to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  I have been using LR & PS for 15 years.  I always open Raw images in Lightroom first and make basic adjustments before editing in Photoshop.  I have never had it make a copy of the edited Photoshop image and place beside the original in LR before until recently (past month). It is a jpeg image that is saved next to the CR2 in lightroom. It shows up in the filmstrip on the develop module. I save raw and edited jpeg images in different places.  All apps are updated. I use LR classic. Most people like this feature, however I don't.  It just started happening recently so I thought a setting might need to be adjusted or something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom Classic always worked this way, but if you used "Save as" and saved the image with another name and/or file format, older versions of Lightroom Classic would not automatically import the image again. If you don't want to see your edited image returned in Lightroom Classic, then do not use the "Edit in Photoshop" menu, but export the image as tiff/psd/jpg and open the exported image in Photoshop. You can even set this at the bottom of the export dialog, so the exported image will be opened automatically.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are getting JPEG images then you seemingly must be using the "save as" command in Photoshop because in the preferences in LrC the two options for external editing are PSD and TIF. Photoshop literally cannot save changes to your raw images. Surely you must understand that. Raw images are proprietary, and are read-only. If you send a  raw image from LrC to Photoshop and make adjustments and save that image then a new image has to be created. Why would you not want that image in your LrC library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines