• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP!! My Lightroom edited photos look like topographical maps, WHY?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite new to using Lightroom.  All of my edited photos look right in Lightroom but once exported or printed the majority of them look like topographical maps (see images below).  What am I doing wrong, how can I fix it? The first one shows the problem on a print. The last two images are of what the photos look like, after editing and exporting, when viewed in Photoshop or in Preview. 

image1-1.JPGimage1.JPGimage2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

You do NOT want to use Photos at all. Photos hides your raw files from you and they are very hard to get to. What you want to do is import your files using Lightroom. I have no clue why the person said something about smart folders but you do not need to do any of that. If Photos pops up, simply quit it. With your camera connected, hit import in Lightroom. You can prevent Photos from coming up automatically if you want but for now just quitting it will work. I highly recommend you watch some of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an actual export and original raw file? This sort of issue is usually a profile issue, either the display profile or your print profile. The first is fixed by recalibrating your screen but the second is hard. How are you printing? Are you using "managed by printer" or are you using a printer profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using RAW right now as I recently switched to a Mac Book Pro and am still trying to figure out the steps to make it work RAWs and make them readable in editing programs.  I have never calibrated my screen or printer as I do not know how.  I have usually been printing with Printer Manages Colours. I question the idea of it being a calibration issue as it does not happen with every picture. I am going to attach images in the following order.

1. Original File

2. Edited File

3. Lightroom Export Settings

4. Photoshop Print Settings

5. A Picture Pre and Post edit that did not have this happen

002A2392.JPG

untitled-2392.jpg

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5765.JPG

IMG_5766.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG

Biggar Malt Plant.jpg

Prairie Malt Purple Sunset (2 of 1).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well for starters you are taking a jpeg image, which is already compressed data, and compressing it a ton more with the jpeg setting of 4. I don't think this is all of your problem, but it definitely isn't helping it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean and did not even realize It was set that way as I had never looked at the settings until you guys asked.  I will change it and see if it helps at all.  THX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your export settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quality setting of 4 will definitely create posterization so that would also be my first guess based on this. You should be around 85% to minimize this loss. Also, jpeg originals are very easy to posterize if you do heavy edits to them but if the images look good in Lightroom, it is likely the export. Lastly, you should try printing from Lightroom. It avoids the jpeg export step that you are doing now so minimizes data loss and is very easy to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I have tried upping to 100% for the quality setting and I have tried it with one picture and it fixed the problem with that one.  I will print from Lightroom with my pictures from now on.  I was looking at a second problematic picture (the building in original post) and any editing I did seemed to posterize, in fact there is a strip of cloud that almost looks that way from the get go.  Any other ideas for pictures that just don't seem to "get with the program"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the posterization happens already in Lightroom this is likely a limitation with the jpeg originals that you can only solve by shooting raw instead. You just can't edit jpegs as aggressively as you can raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions on where to learn the ins and outs of RAW and Mac.  I was shooting in RAW specifically for editing freedom but then when I switched to the Mac it became difficult and I did not seem to be able to find all the information I needed to work with RAW and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you are talking about. There is nothing special about Macs and raw at all. Just import the raw files from the camera or through a card reader into Lightroom and edit. Then when you want to share, export to sRGB jpegs and share those. Also the operating system itself reads raw files and can display them but like every other OS it won't show the Lightroom edits as only Lightroom (or ACR in photoshop) can show those edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I want to make sure I understand correctly what you are telling me.  In doing so I will give you a bit more details as to what I was talking about. When I was uploading my images from the camera to the computer, Photos opened automatically and they loaded into there.  Once in there the RAW files would not open nor would Photoshop CC open them.  Another kind person like yourself advised that I needed to export them to a smart folder and then work from there.  It was a hassle so I only did it a couple of times and then went back to only shooting in Jpeg and therefor can not remember each step.  Canon .CR2 files were the problem, or at least according to some research I did.  I have never uploaded my files to anywhere other then Photos which my MacBook does automatically.  I am currently researching again ways to get around the .CR2 issues with OS X but in the mean time could you explain how to upload directly to Lightroom?  Sorry to be such a pain but I am brand new to Apple anything and slowly learning.  Quicker when I have the help of kind people such as yourself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do NOT want to use Photos at all. Photos hides your raw files from you and they are very hard to get to. What you want to do is import your files using Lightroom. I have no clue why the person said something about smart folders but you do not need to do any of that. If Photos pops up, simply quit it. With your camera connected, hit import in Lightroom. You can prevent Photos from coming up automatically if you want but for now just quitting it will work. I highly recommend you watch some of the free videos from Julianne Kost here: Lightroom Training Videos « Julieanne Kost's Blog​ They are really nicely done. Especially look at the importing videos. Again, nothing to do with raw files or Mac computers. It is Apple 'helpfully' popping up software you do not want to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help!!  Especially, for directing me to the training videos as I am always keen to teach myself what I need to know.  I enjoy learning but also do not want to be a bother to others.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines