• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I deselect parts of selection in LrC

Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of LrC (June 2022) has the AI facility to make selections. I have an image with tow people which AI selects using "subject selection". I want to deselect one of the people but I can't find a way. The "subtract" option using a brush does not seem to work and is difficult to use as the mask disappears while using the tool so you cant see where you are editing!! I must be doing something wrong.

Having obviously put huge effort into developing AI in LrC I can't believe that the only way is to use Photoshop for what should be a simple task.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Subtracting using a brush is the way to do it, as you guessed. When you says the mask disappears, is that perhaps because you don't have the overlay enabled at the bottom of the Masks panel?

Presets always apply to the whole image or create new masks, they won't adjust existing masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another related question about LrC selections. . When I have a selection and want to use one of the presets the preset is bing applied to the whole image and not just the selection. Is this normal or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subtracting using a brush is the way to do it, as you guessed. When you says the mask disappears, is that perhaps because you don't have the overlay enabled at the bottom of the Masks panel?

Presets always apply to the whole image or create new masks, they won't adjust existing masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. It is what I thought but perhaps a useful upgrade in the future to be able to apply a preset to a mask?????

Sent from Mail<> for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all adjustments are available at a mask level, for example a profile or color grading are only available at a global level, so the result of any preset would look very different on a masked area because some of the settings would be ignored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two types of presets: Global and Local Adjujstments. The Local presets use only the parameters available in the LA Panel and thus are always usable in masked areas. in the LA Panel click on Effects, at the bottom of the Effects menu is the option to create new Local presets.Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am probably being very dim but where or what is the “LA” panel? The only “effects” option I seem to have is in the Develop module and it only relates to Vignetting. I have the latest version of LrC 11.4.1 but I have noticed that some tutorials appear to have a different screen layout with various functions under different headings – not sure why this is. I am using a desktop PC under Windows 10 if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Sent from Mail<> for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anytime you mask part of the image (Select Subject, Select Sky, Linear Gradient Filter, Radial Gradient Filter, etc.) the Local Adjustments Panel opens. There you can make edits that affect only the masked area. The panel is what you see in the illustration in my previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no idea what the "LA Panel" is either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The confusion may be because “Local Adjustments” is actually old terminology that no longer appears in the Lightroom UI. When the upgraded masking was introduced, everything that used to be called a “local adjustment” is now called a mask.

You can observe this by seeing that there is no Local Adjustments panel; what is being called that is actually the Masks panel, which you can see clearly labeled as Masks at the top of the panel.

So if someone says “local adjustment” that suggests that they have been using Lightroom for many years and are probably quite experienced, and are calling it a local adjustment out of habit; however the current term is “mask.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The confusion may be because “Local Adjustments” is actually old terminology

Sorry, Conrad, I used Lightroom Classic and it's predecessor called Lightroom (starting with Lightroom 2), and I know full well what "Local Adjustments" are, and I know what the Local Adjustment Panel is; but I have never heard the term "LA Panel" and it didn't mean anything to me until it was explained. So the new masking and new terminology is not the cause of my confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also had to think for a second about what LA Panel might be because it’s abbreviated. But my reply was less about the specific term “LA Panel,” and more a reminder that it’s all about “masks” now and not “local adjustments.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines