• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change default import directory from "My Pictures" to somewhere else?

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to change the default import directory from "My Pictures" to a different directory? It gets tedious to have to specify the directory I want to use every single time I import and I have not found a way to make this change sticky.

That seems like it should be a preference but I can find no way to make this change.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, you have to specify the directory every time you import images.

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to do that via an import preset. Next time you specify the folder to receive images create a new import preset (located at the bottom of the import dialog).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

It took me a while to find it down there at the bottom almost lost in the dark.

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone confirm if this works?  I just tried it, and when I reopen LR it defaults back to "My pictures".  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't set a specific import source in an import preset. Lightroom will first of all default to any inserted memory cards, but if none are present it will indeed default to "My Pictures". However, clicking on the "Select a source" button at the top of the left hand column will bring up the list of recent import source selections. As you are presumably using the same folder for each of your imports, it should appear right at the top of the list, making navigation a breeze.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool.  Never knew "Select a source" has short cuts to recent folders.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some how I think a few lost track of the question the OP posted. The OP wants to place images in a folder other than "My Pictures", This is LR 101 basic stuff.

When in the Import screen, notice upper top right  (The To )

Click on that area, and

Click Other Destination, and

Go and pick one, even create one.

Alternatively, over in the Destination Panel, you can specify as well:

'

Now that being said, Before import, consider creating this folder you want by adding a folder, and any sub folders.Some people find that logic a bit better, than creating it upon import.

Now, go and watch:Lightroom CC - Importing Images From a Camera - YouTube   Mind you she does not address the To section, (non My Pictures already created)

=And this may be helpful: How to create and manage folders in Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines