• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make Lightroom wait until ALL files exported before it starts post-processing application?

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, whenever I start an export with more than about 8 images in it that I want passed to another application (e.g. PTGui, Photomatix etc.), the 'post-processing' application gets kicked off after the first 5-8 or so images have been exported, and then another instance is started for the next 5-8 images, etc.

How can I make Lightroom wait until all of the selected images have been exported, and only then start the 'post-processing' application?

Gary

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use drag and drop after the export instead of specifying a post processing application in the export panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, how to do it is ... don't do it? Thanks, but no cigar.

--
Gary Rowe

--------------------------------------------------

Personal information removed by Forum Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is the only way. You can't affect how Lightroom Classic deals with this, only circumvent it unfortunately. I guess you could submit a feature request to change this behavior and hope they implement some kind of switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 'feature' request, you say ... to make the program work the way it should? I think, if you are right and that there is currently no way to make it work correctly, that'd be a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Post-Processing Application is defined to run on each individual file being exported, one invocation per file.  In many use cases, it's quite useful to have the invocations of the application run concurrently with the rendering and exporting of the files.  For example, if you're running a script that invokes Exiftool over the exported files, you'd like the invocations of that script to run concurrently to take advantage of multiple processors. I understand you'd like different functionality, but many people have long found the current functionality quite useful.

If you want to run an application on all the files created by the export as a group after the last file has been exported, see the Run Any Command plugin -- it provides that option. (You'll have to access that link from some browser other than Chrome, which has been in a long-running spat with that web site over the meaning of HTTPS URLs.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, many thanks for the pointer. I can't remember back to 2010 when I started iusing PTGui, I may hve had to export all images to a folder , but certainly nowadays LrC on my PC (24 threads) will only kick off the post-processing application after exporting approx 8 images, and does so after each 5-8 images after that... and I suspect this behaviour  dates back to at least when people asked for exports to be multi-threaded.

I'd seen the plugin previously but hadn't a use for it - will try it now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, MANY THANKS!!! That's solved the issue and made my life with panos much easier!

Out of interest I created a batch file that just output to the screen each parameter it was passed, and made it the post-processing application of an export of multiple images. Consistently, once all images were exported (!), LrC kicked off multiples of the batch file, each with 8 file names passed and then once with the remainder (e.g. for an export of 31 images, the batch file was initiated 3 times with 8 file names and once with the remaining 7 file names).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting -- at some point Adobe changed the behavior of how it invokes the post-processing commands.  I did some more experiments with my own post-processing logging scripts (attached for future reference).

It appears that Export batches up multiple files to pass to the command (which it didn't use to do). On both Windows and Mac, there are maximum lengths of command lines that Cmd.exe and Mac shells will accept -- 8192 on Windows and 1,045,576 on Mac. To avoid exceeding the limit, Export seems to be limiting the command line of each batch to about 1400 characters, so you'll see a variable number of files passed based on their path length.

I assume that Export will do something similar on Mac. But the maximum command line is so much longer (1,045,576) that I didn't have the patience to do an Export with enough files to get close to that maximum. I exported 17,000 JPEGs, and it used a single command line of length about 750K!

I never noticed this change in behavior because I rely on Run Any Command.

[The forum didn't like my script attachments and stripped them -- here are the scripts for future reference:]

Mac "log.sh":

#!/bin/sh

echo $# $* >> ~/Desktop/log.txt

Windows "log.bat":

@ECho off
setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
set argC=0
set line=
for %%x in (%*) do (
    Set /A argC+=1
    Set line=!line! %%x
    )

echo !argC! !line! >> %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\log.txt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines