• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent filenames change and extension into DNG when exporting as catalog?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. My client sends me the catalogs with photos to edit. But the one day I got the catalog where all images had weird long filenames and extension dng instead of NEF. I edited photos, send them back and then she wasn't able to locate the edits to the original files, because the filenames changed. I decided to check the folder with her unedited images she sent me through google drive, and I see the same long filename. So I guess this is a problem on her side? How to solve this? How to prevent it from happening in the future? How to export photos properly? The most interesting fact, that the next catalog she sent me is totally fine. Filenames are as they should be with NEF extension. Is this some sort of bug in new versions of Lightroom? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those "long filename" DNG files are SMART PREVIEWS.

You can Edit in Lightroom-Classic using only the Smart Previews, when the original proprietary raw files are not available.

You (editing someone else's photos) do NOT Import the Smart Preview DNG files, you simply open the Catalog and 'edit'.

All your editing is 'saved' in the Catalog and you only need to send the Catalog back to the client who will then [Import from another Catalog] to merge your edits with their master catalog (that references the original raws).

See also my PDF file attached.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your answer and BIG thanks for the instructions. I will try this workflow! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines