• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to replace JPG files with RAW files in a catalog?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- After a shoot my assistant copies all JPG duplicates of the shoot to her computer.
- I copy all the RAW versions to my computer which has LrC installed.

My assistant goes through JPG versions and selects good shots. She cannot open RAW files in her computer, only JPG. Then she copies the selected JPG files and gives me. I take it to to my computer which has LrC. Is there a way to cull the RAW files of the selection to import to LrC? 
She used to convert all RAW to DNG so that she can see and select in her computer but trying to avoid that step.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my thoughts, "what a weird concept it's just not possible".

If the original RAW images you can import them into Lightroom Classic.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.5,;)2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may not understand the question. 

If it were me and I had to do it your way, I would use the import selection screen.  The primary file names of the RAW and JPEGs should match.  When you import the RAW, use the uncheck all box at the bottom.  Then use a list of the JPEGs to check mark RAWs you want imported.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that suggestion. The problem is, last weekend's shoot has more than 2000 pics so I was hoping to find a better way 🙂 I guess I need to upgrade the assistant's computer to read camera raw files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question made simpler:
Let's say  the LrC catalog is made with JPG files. Is there a way to replace all the JPG files with the companion camera raw files before starting to edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

LR already provides a robust workflow based on smart previews that allows your assistant to cull the shoot without needing access to the raw files.

1. Shoot in raw only, not raw + JPEG.

2. Import all the raw files into your LR catalog.

3. Select the files and do File > Export As Catalog, with the option Build/Include Smart Previews:

johnrellis_0-1715053342009.png

4. Transfer the exported catalog to your assistant's computer.

5. She uses LR's various tools to mark the good shots, e.g. pick/reject flags, star ratings, color labels, keywords, etc., whichever tickles your fancy.

6. Transfer the exported catalog back to your computer.

7. Do File > Import From Another Catalog, using this option:

johnrellis_1-1715053639718.png

However you marked the good shots (pick flag, star rating, etc.) will now automatically appear on the raws in your main catalog.

This workflow eliminates the time needed to transfer JPEGs from the card to your computer and then to your asisstants computer and then back again. But it does require some extra time in step 3 to build the smart previews. The smart previews are generally smaller than the JPEGs that come out of the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

To implement your bespoke workflow of handing JPEGs to your assistant:

1. Copy the raws (not the JPEGs) from your camera card to a folder on your computer.

2. When she's done culling, place the assistant's selected JPEGs in that same folder.

3. Uncheck the option Preferences > General > Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos.

4. Import the raws from the folder into your LR catalog.

5. Use the Any Filter plugin to find all the raws that have an associated JPEG sidecar:

johnrellis_0-1715055078559.png

6. Select those raws and mark them with the pick flag.  

7. Use the Library Filter bar to select all the raws that don't have the pick flag and mark them as rejected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this suggestion. This should work. I will try this. Many thanks. I knew there has to be a way 🙂
Many many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello johnrellis
I'm sorry, I am new to using this forum and attached my answers to your two posts wrongly but I think you'd get what I am saying.
Your second suggestion I will try. Again, many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion but the most important thing here is my assistant's computer does not have LrC 😞
That's the reason she has to go thru the JPGs to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion but the most important thing here is my assistant's computer does not have LrC 😞
That's the reason she has to go thru the JPGs to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines