• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to retain order

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am giving a presentation to my cameera club and will be using their computer. My catalog consists of 150 photos that I added to a Collection so I could reorder them as needed. I saved the collection as a catalog to an external drive to take to the venue, but the order in the new collection was wrong - thei mages were not in the order I had made in the origincal collection.

Is there some way to export a collection as a catalog and retain the order of the collection? Thanks for any suggestions.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not experience this. I exported as a catalog 5 files in a Collection sorted as 5,3,1,4,2

The exported catalog 'All Photographs' used the filename sort,

2024-04-02 10_07_34-numbers - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

But Exported Catalog Collection appeared sorted as 'Custom' - as I had done in the Master catalog.

2024-04-02 10_08_16-numbers - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

If I don't need the images to be in the LrC interface, then I Export the photos to new derivatives with a Sequence Prefix 001 > xxx. Then they will always be in the same 'numeric' sort order. I can also Import these 'sequenced' photos to a new empty Catalog where they sort correctly by Filename.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your experience isn't really relevant to what happens on my computer. Below is proof of the issue. I need to retian the filenames, so a numbered sequence would not be useful. Sort by Custom is grayed out in the View/Sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I see your 'Original' view of the JPGS  Custom Sorted-  What I don't see in your screen-clip is- if you are viewing a Folder of images in Grid View or a Collection in Grid view.  I suspect a Folder view as the word 'Collection' does not appear on the Tool Bar. Sorting of Folders and Collections are independent and can be different.

2024-04-02 12_29_40-Re_ How to retain order - Adobe Community - 14528463 — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

However your screen-clip of "transferred" is a view of the 'All Photographs' list.!  - That is not the Collection view, and for sure, it won't be sorted the same as a Collection. (TBMK it will default to Filename sort.)

2024-04-02 12_18_36-Re_ How to retain order - Adobe Community - 14528463 — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Show a clip of the Collection in grid view. 

Hopefully you have not changed the sort in the Collection View which should still be in your Custom sort order. If you have changed it you will need to resort manually once again (or re-export the Catalog with the sorted Collection.).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the followup. I took your suggestion of adding an ordinal to eaach image, exported those, then created a new catalog and sorted them by name- got the job done. Thanks for the tip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pleased you got the job done.! All the best for your presentation.

"adding an ordinal to each image, exported those, then created a new catalog and sorted them by name-" achieved what you needed.

Curious about the order of your workflow steps-  There is no need to add a sequence number to original photos in the catalog -leave them named exactly as they are. You only need to rename the images you are exporting with a {Sequence-Filename} preset in the export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines