• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't import my Canon 6D RAW files into Lightroom 4.2

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2012 Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else have this problem? I have a 5D Mk II, and just bought a 6D yesterday. I have Lightroom 4.2 on a Mac. Anyone else have this problem? It won't let me import the RAW files, won't show previews of them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your LR version older than the camera? Yes. A particular version of LR can’t support things that weren’t available at the time it was released. The beta LR 4.3 RC at Adobe Labs doesn’t mention support for the 6D, either. Hopefully the final version will have support, in the next few weeks, but it might not, since the camera is available so late in the release cycle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, everything you said, that's exactly what I was thinking. I was just hoping I was wrong. Guess I'll just shoot jpeg for now. Thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem uploading to raw files from my 6D into Lightroom 3 operating in Windows 7.  I had no problems with raw files from a 60D or 5D.  I looked for an upgrade from Adobe and found none.  I also installed the drivers that came with the 6D but Lightroom still does not recognize the raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iHawaii wrote:

I have the same problem uploading to raw files from my 6D into Lightroom 3 operating in Windows 7.

Because, as SSprengel explains two posts above yours:

A particular version of LR can’t support things that weren’t available at the time it was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem.  Bought my 6D yesterday and LR4 latest version does not recognize the raw fiels and wont import.  Very very frustrating.  ADOBE can you help?

I have an IMAC with the latest LR 4.2 version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your obviously having some difficulty understanding the replies, in particular reply 1, from ssprengel. It sums it it up quite succinctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I did read that explanation and totally understand the problem.  I don't undertsand however how two giants as Adobe and Canon can't foresee such an issue well in time and take corrective actions before the camera launches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because Canon, in this case, do not supply Adobe with the proprietary raw file information, which changes with every new camera. Perhaps you should be lobbying Canon into being more forthcoming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the impression that Canon's CR2 raw format had been relatively standardized. That is, if you know how to read a CR2 from one camera, you should be able to read one from any other.

*Should*

I suspect that LR is rejecting the files based purely on the EXIF data, without having made any attempt to decode them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't that be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a camera like the 6D that is relatively important and relatively similar to other camera before, it is not a case of Canon and Adobe not cooperating or Canon not supplying some information. It is a case of timing in a competitive market.

Before supporting a particular camera, Adobe needs a profile for it. Adobe has to create said profile from a PRODUCTION model camera not a beta version where something might change and the profile would be no good. How far in advance is Canon going to have a PRODUCTION camera that they could supply to Adobe to profile but not supply it to distributors to sell?

Canon and Adobe are independent companies headquartered in different countries with different market forces and global economic conditions driving their revenue. Canon is NOT going to hold off selling a camera waiting for Adobe to profile it and incorporate it into their next version of software it, and Adobe is not going to have a camera to profile until just before or just after Canon sells one. Canon needs the freedom to tweak things at the last minute without coordinating schedules with Adobe, and Adobe needs to freedom to release things according to a schedule that allows things to be reasonably bug free and coordinated between various software platforms. The plug-in concept for Photoshop means that a new release of Photoshop not have to be ready just to support new cameras, but with Lightroom, a new piece of software does need to be ready for release before new cameras can be supported. For this reason Adobe releases their camera support on a relatively fixed schedule, rather than a small update closer to the time of a particular camera being ready internally.

If Canon and Adobe were the same company or somehow coordinated the release of their camera and software support, the only thing different would be that the camera or Adobe software would be delayed until the other was ready. A particular photographer can accomplish the same thing by waiting to buy their new camera until after it is supported by their raw-processing software of choice. With the current situation of Adobe and Canon being separate companies and having independent release schedules, for those without need to use Adobe software, they can buy the camera sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the only standard they (Canon) are maintaining is the file extention .CR2. Canon is trying to improve the output from each and every new model camera they produce.

Adobe will create new profiles for each and every new model camera, they provide support as and when they are satisfied their profile meets their standard for quality.

Adobe are providing a product to compete with the software output provided by your camera manufacturer. Not neccessarily to match what you get from your camera.

Why would you pay for a product that does not provide something better in terms of quality and performance.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeFulton1963 wrote:

I was under the impression that Canon's CR2 raw format had been relatively standardized. That is, if you know how to read a CR2 from one camera, you should be able to read one from any other.

*Should*

I suspect that LR is rejecting the files based purely on the EXIF data, without having made any attempt to decode them.

And if the camera's sensor has different color response than some of the others like, for example, the 5DIII versus the 5DII?  Then your colors will be all messed up.

That's why DNG files include a color profile.  CR2 files do not.

Adobe needs a real, physical camera so they can profile it for color and so on.  This wouldn't be necessary if the camera produced a DNG with profile embedded.  Then your camera would be supported from day 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4.3 available now. It supports Canon 6D and other 20 cameras. 

The Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4.3 update includes these enhancements:

• HiDPI support within the Library and Develop Modules. HiDPI provides support for Retina-enabled Macs.

• Additional raw file support for 20 cameras including the Canon EOS 6D, Nikon D600 and Olympus PEN E-PL5.

• Corrections and bug fixes for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay!  I just downloaded LR 4 and imported images from the Canon 6D into it.  It's perfect!  Thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2540erik wrote:

Bought my 6D yesterday and LR4 latest version does not recognize the raw files and won't import.

Adobe doesn't make a secret of which cameras a given version of Lightroom will work with: just Google "Lightroom 4.2 + supported cameras".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just bought a new iMac, 21.5 screen, and installed Lightroom 4.  It will not import the RAW files, either.  Message says that "some import operations were not performed", and those included all the raw files that I was trying to import.  I need help right away.  Where do I go for help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines