• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image error in RAW files (apparently only in Adobe Lightroom, not in PhotoMechanic)

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users, I am using a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Lightroom 6.14. Some of my RAW files (and then JPG) show a strange error.

An example:

AdobeLightroom.jpg

At first I thought it was a problem with the memory card. As the same error has ocurred on photos on several memory cards, I don´t think it´s the card.

Then I thought, maybe it is a technical defect. Still, other programs like Photo Mechanic or XnView don´t show the error. The photograph is taken from Photo Mechanic:

PhotoMechanic.JPG

Has anyone seen a similar error? How to deal with it?

Many thanks in advance.

THomas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Many programs (maybe Photomechanic, I don't know) show you the embedded JPG preview inside the RAW file. This JPG preview is often uncorrupted when the RAW image itself is corrupted. The problem is some hardware malfunction in the transfer of the file from the camera card to the computer (or possibly hard disk or computer memory). You need to try to isolate the problem by using different hardware to do the transfer (and if possible, use an entirely different computer).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many programs (maybe Photomechanic, I don't know) show you the embedded JPG preview inside the RAW file. This JPG preview is often uncorrupted when the RAW image itself is corrupted. The problem is some hardware malfunction in the transfer of the file from the camera card to the computer (or possibly hard disk or computer memory). You need to try to isolate the problem by using different hardware to do the transfer (and if possible, use an entirely different computer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with the above reply but you could also try turning off the GPU option in the LR preferences on the performance tab.

But more than likely it is a corrupted file caused by faulty hardware while copying the file from the cameras memory card to the computer hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines