• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import as DNG

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually just copy my NEF files into a folder and then tell Lightroom to sync the folder to get them into the catalog.  But when I add metadata (keywords, GPS, etc) it seems to lose this information.  So I thought import them as DNG files and ideally the metadata would stick better.  So I did the Copy as DNG option, applied my file naming rules - figured it would take some time, but having a better base for my metadata would be good.  For the record, I need the metadata to be in file, since these files will leave Lightroom, and I need the metadata to stick.

So I did the copy at DNG, and the files are still NEF?

What is up?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import with "Copy as DNG" does two things-

1) It reads the NEF files and copies them to another destination folder.

2) It then converts the 'copied' files in the destination folder to the DNG format.

So, logically, you now have BOTH NEF and DNG versions of the images on your hard-drive.

Stop using 'Sync Folder'- It is not the ideal way of importing your images to LrC. Use the better 'Import' dialog. Use 'Sync Folder' only when you are adding files to the catalog from a folder of images that is already referenced in the Catalog.

Editing metadata only exists in the Catalog until you 'Save' it to the file- It creates an .XMP sidecar file for proprietary raw files, or embeds the metadata in DNG, JPG,TIFF, rgb files.

If the photos that "leave Lightroom" are intended for other people that will not be using Lightroom (or Adobe editing apps), you would [Export] the photos as JPG or TIFF, and check the options to include all metadata in the Export dialog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Stop using 'Sync Folder'- It is not the ideal way of importing your images to LrC. Use the better 'Import' dialog."

Hi Rob, I gave up using LR's Import years ago because it was so flaky. It is better now, but still gets the import folder wrong sometimes. I have even had to edit the catalog to cure this problem. So I copy images to a folder using my file manager and then synchronise in LR. Why do you say this is not ideal?

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIrst a quote from the Lightroom Queen https://www.lightroomqueen.com/

"The main purpose of Synchronize Folder (found in the folders right-click menu) is to update Lightroom’s catalog with changes made to the folder by other programs, for example, adding or deleting photos or updating the metadata."

Why did I suggest to Stop? And these are my opinions  re ' Synchronize Folder '- you do not have to agree.

-The 'Import' options (in folder Synchronize) are very limited. You can only [Add] the images to the Catalog.

-Unless aware, you run the risk of removing Catalog images that show as 'missing'. (an option check)

-Folder Synchronize assumes you are managing your images 'manually' requiring separate (time consuming) steps to fully index your images in the catalog. Using the Import dialog can do all the following in one step (not available with folder Synchronize)-

> Copy files from camera or card

> File Renaming

> Adding metadata ,copyright, etc

> Applying a Develop Preset

> Add keywords

> Create the storage Folders automatically (with defined templates)

> Allows use of 'Import' Presets- that define the Import method.

So respectfully -To each their own, and 'Choice' is a valued freedom.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is excellent advice - let me provide more context of what I am trying
to accomplish.

I shoot a lot of photos at high ISO. I use DeNoise to reduce the noise, and
I run most of them through as a batch because of the volume.

So my ideal workflow -

1. Import all photos into LR
2. Geotag, change filenames
3. Cull through them into various piles (group a, group b, trash, etc).
Note that these tags are exclusive. It can be in group a AND b. I do this
via keywording.
4. I will then run an export on one of the groups that requires no
further processing (no exposure, noise, etc)
5. Delete the ones I don't need
6. Run the remaining through DeNoise. I have always done this outside
of LR. (I don't know if DeNoise can do batch within LR) DeNoise creates a
new file - so I now have two files. The original RAW and the DeNoise DNG.
7. Now I am primarily working with the DNG. And here is where the rub
is - I still need the Geotacgging, and tagging (Keywords) for my next steps
8. Post-processing based on my keywords

a. automated exposure updates/exporting for some
b. While glove post processing (crop, exposure updates)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First- I do not have Topaz DeNoise, so not knowledgable on that, but will give a few comments anyway, if I may:  Your post in red-

1. Import all photos into LR

OK
2. Geotag, change filenames

OK
3. Cull through them into various piles (group a, group b, trash, etc). Note that these tags are exclusive. It can be in group a AND b. I do this via keywording.

OK
4. I will then run an export on one of the groups that requires no further processing (no exposure, noise, etc)

Persumably you are exporting as JPG or TIFF, for others to be able to 'read'.
5. Delete the ones I don't need

OK
6. Run the remaining through DeNoise. I have always done this outside of LR. (I don't know if DeNoise can do batch within LR) DeNoise creates a new file -

Entirely possible to [Edit in DeNoise] from Lightroom-Classic. Set DeNoise as an External Editor in the Preferences. [Edit-In DeNoise] can do "batch"- Select multiple files to Edit in DeNoise. See this video tutorial (maybe version specific!)-

https://www.topazlabs.com/denoise-ai#tutorial-videos-1

And any metadata you add in LrC catalog will 'go with' the file you send to DeNoise

so I now have two files. The original RAW and the DeNoise DNG.

I do not know what a DeNoise DNG is!- I doubt it is a raw file (How could it retain the DeNoise edits in a raw file?)- possibly a TIFF in the DNG 'wrapper'. (Perhaps a Lr-Classic GURU can explain for us)
7. Now I am primarily working with the DNG. And here is where the rub is - I still need the Geotacgging, and tagging (Keywords) for my next steps

If you [Edit In Denoise] from Lr-Classic the returning file should retain all metadata of the original.

I know that my NEF raw files that I [Edit-In Photoshop] do return to LrC as a TIFF with all the metadata of the original, including GPS metadata.

8. Post-processing based on my keywords

a. automated exposure updates/exporting for some
b. While glove post processing (crop, exposure updates)

So, concluding, try using [Edit-In External] from Classic as a TIF, and see if your metadata added in Classic is carried over to the TIF that retuerns from DeNoise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My experience with LR since version 1 many years ago, is that the fewer things that you ask LR to do at the same time the more likely it is to do them correctly. So I don't do all the extra things you list as theoretically possible on import, I just want LR to add my files on my hard disk to its catalog. That is simple using Synchronise and LR should cope with that without too many errors. Then once they are in the catalog, I may rename them, etc, etc, one thing at a time. Copying my images to my hard disk is simple for my file manager; it doesn't make mistakes. Synchronising that folder into LR is also simple, and works well IME. That gives me an unedited image file in LR's history. Editing comes later. Trying to do everything on LR's import is a recipe for disaster IME; it often can't even get the correct folder to import into!

But if you like a risky existence, by all means try all your suggested editing on import. It will probably keep this forum busy!!

PS I'm  probably not contributing to your forums any more, since I object to not only having to enter my email and password, but now I have to get out my phone and enter a number you send me!! It's simply not worth the hassle just to comment on a post!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... it seems to lose this information

Explain this further. What do you mean by "it"? Where are you looking when you feel the information has been lost? What do you see that indicates information has been lost? Please be specific and detailed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you copy your RAW files to the computer outside of LrC, then you should import them into LrC using the Add method. The Copy method can just give you issues for photos already on a hard drive. Your method us just making more work.

Also, always keep your original RAW files even if you want to work with DNG files. You never know when a RAW to DNG converter will be improved. Including that internal to LrC.

Would reccomend, if you want to work with DNG, to import the RAW, cull the RAW, rename the RAW if desired,  edit the metadata in the RAW, save the metadata to file. Then convert to DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am primarily working with the DNG. And here is where the rub
is - I still need the Geotacgging, and tagging (Keywords) for my next steps

After you first import the photos  into LrC, well before going out to DeNoise, while you are applying the Geotagging, also apply keywords, and other metadata. Save the metadata to the files. That way all that metadata will be in the files you create in DeNoise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removed not relevant.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines