• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invoking Photoshop CS5 from Lightroom 4 asks for Camera Raw Plug-in 7.0

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just downloaded and installed Adobe Lightroom 4.0. When I try to invoke "Photo / Edit in Photoshop CS 5.1" I get the warning "This version of Lightroom may require the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in version 7.0 for full compatibility. Please update the camera raw plug-in using the update tool available in the Photoshop help menu". However, the update function in Photoshop CS5.1 says that there are no updates available and searching adobe.com I can find no references to Camera Raw plug-in 7.0. What is one to do? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Everyone acts like this is some big deal.  Just select render using Lightroom and don't show this dialog anymore.  Doesn't that fix the problem?  When you upgrade to CS6 you won't have this problem, it's always been this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know that the file opens using "open anyway" without Lr4 settings? I did a test, underexposed in Lr4 until the photo was very dark and used the open anyway option. The resultant file in Ps4 reflected the changes exactly. So I am assuming that the 6.7 version bakes the Lr4 settings into the file. The only thing that is missing is the ability to retouch the raw file in Ps using the new develop paradigm.

In the beta I chose to export my files as tifs, which baked the Lr4 changes into the file, and opened them in Ps. The problem with this workaround was that the file didn't automatically show up in Lr4 beta, but had to be imported by syncing the folder.

This method will do for me until PsCs6 comes out, which will have version 7 of ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it opens using "open anyway" because I tried it....I double checked just now to confirm....took an .NEF file in LR4 dropped the highlights and underexposed it, then went to send to PS...clicked "open anyway" and PS rendered the original raw NEF file.  Normally, the lightroom changes would have been picked up by photoshop reading the accompanying XMP file that LR generates....this could be preferences differences.  As I have mine set to edit the NEF with lightroom edits.  Your method seems to be about the same as if you were to click "render in lightroom"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone acts like this is some big deal.  Just select render using Lightroom and don't show this dialog anymore.  Doesn't that fix the problem?  When you upgrade to CS6 you won't have this problem, it's always been this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RSmith you are right it's not exactly a big deal, but when you pay money for something you expect it to work properly yes?  I prefer to edit the RAW file with lightroom adjustments, but thats just me...it worked just fine this way in LR3 so I'm not sure where "it's always been this way" comes from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you talking about?  It does work properly.  It warns you that PS doesn't have this version of camera raw and lets you render in Lightroom.  After that it won't bother you again.  You guys are acting like something is wrong, it's working just as it's supposed to.  Every Lightroom upgrade has had this issue, that is what I mean it's always been this way, it's been this way with every new version, I've been using it since the original beta.  PS has to catch up on it's camera raw version, that is how Adobe makes you upgrade Photoshop if you really care that it has to render first in Lightroom.  Basically if you don't like this you will have to upgrade to CS6, it's always been like this.  Otherwise, just render in Lightroom, what's the big deal.  When I go into photoshop I'm doing pixel editing not non-distructive anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working for me.  LR4, CS5 and ACR 6.7RC installed.  Open a Canon CR2 file.  Boost exposure all the way to the right.  Right click and choose edit in CS5. Ignore warnings. Click open anyway rather than LR rendering.  CS5 opens with a very overexposed picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting....perhaps it's a nikon RAW compatability issue then...definately not working for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think rsmith...this is a difference in personal workflows...I can gaurentee you when using my workflow this is NOT working properly, as geb states....you should be able to edit the image in LR then edit the raw (with LR adjustments) in PS then it should save a sidecar TIFF or PSD file next to the original in LR, but either way it doesn't carry the LR changes unless you save a copy of the image in LR first which is what it seems you do, and then you edit a TIFF or PSD file (that lightroom created)  which is just fine for you but for those of us that make tonal adjustments in LR then take to PS to edit more from there and PREFER to use the raw file.... then this new version of lightroom doesn't work.  Additionally if this version  works fine for you and your workflow....just leave this conversation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen Dylanpatricknyc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I guess if you are wanting to edit the raw file camera raw in Photoshop it might not work properly.  But my question is WHY?  Lightroom has the same controls as camera raw, why would you be going into PS to do the same thing as you are doing in Lightroom.  Once you do any pixel editing, which is what I use PS for, you are going to have to save out a TIFF correct?  In my mind I just can't see any possible reason I would want to edit a picture in Lightroom and camera raw.  And to geb01, I'm pretty sure you are wrong.  I'm not going to reinstall CS4 and Lightroom 3 to test it, but I can bet if you try to edit a Lightroom 3 file in CS4 you will get the same dialog, perhaps I'm thinking of CS3 and Lightroom 3.  Or who knows, I could be thinking of CS3 and Lightroom 2, but I know I've been through this before. But whichever it is they do eventually make you update Photoshop if you want to keep camera raw and Lightroom on the same version, otherwise you just render in Lightroom.  I will leave this conversation if you like, I just seem to be the only one here that has been through this before and can explain this isn't anything new.  I completely agree though that you should be able to call tech support and they should explain this, or they should tell you before upgrade, so bad on Adobe for that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you are still wrong.  This same problem occured in the LR3 upgrade, the fix was an already present beta version of ACR followed by a general release of that ACR version.  It did not require a CS upgrade, only an updated version of ACR, a module with CS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the comment "its always been this way"  It wasn't this way as recently as the day before I purchased and installed LR4 assuming it to be properly compatible with existing releases of other Adobe products while using LR3.  First it shouldn't require a future and further upgrade to CS6 to work and second CS6 is not on the immediate horizon for release.  Having to process images using work arounds or any different work flow than we were doing in LR 3 simply isn't acceptable.  Editing in LR Develop module, CMD E, Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments, Edit in CS5, Save/Close in CS5, Return copy of image to LR 4 as .psd while preserving a copy of the edited .dng file, parking them next to each other in Library Grid should be exactly as it was in LR3.

That's the way its always been for me.  An upgraded version of LR shouldn't change that.  I shouldn't have to deal with Open Anyway or any alternatives of Render Using Lightroom or re-importing .tiff files of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amen geb01

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have moved this discussion to the Photoshop Lightroom forum for easier reference by Lightroom users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better idea than moving it:  Provide a solution so its not a discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You select "render in Lightroom", "don't show this dialog again", problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I would like to get this straight.

I perform actions on the file in Lr and want to move the file, with my edits to PsCs5

I click on Edit in Photoshop and get the dialogue box.

I click on Open Anyway.

The file opens in Photoshop...

at this point I am assuming that the edits that I just performed in Lightroom are now rendered in the photoshop file that I'm looking at, which is still a dng.

Am I correct or not?

I edit the file in Photoshop and save it as a psd. It pops up in Lightroom.

I assume that the psd now has the cumulative work that I have done in both programs.

Am I correct still or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KateMann wrote:

...at this point I am assuming that the edits that I just performed in Lightroom are now rendered in the photoshop file that I'm looking at, which is still a dng.

Am I correct or not?

I edit the file in Photoshop and save it as a psd. It pops up in Lightroom.

I assume that the psd now has the cumulative work that I have done in both programs.

Am I correct still or not?

If you've used PV 2012 in LR4 you need to download and install Camera Raw 6.7 RC1 in order to render the settings into Photoshop CS5/5.5. Then yes, you'll be getting the proper rendering from LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Jeff! As I have upgraded to ACR 6.7 and use PV 2012 in Lr4, all is well.

The only problem would be if I wanted to tweak the dng in Photoshop, I would be dumped back to PV 2010, which defeats the entire purpose and so I wouldn't do that.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, unless the workflow doesn't work for Nikons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

which is not true for me:

- LR4 on Win/ / 64 bit

- Canon raw file converted to DNG

- PV2012

- Using some of the new sliders of LR4 (like highlights)

- edit in CS5 (with ACR 6.7RC installed)

- open with "open anyway"

- edits do NOT show up in CS5 !!

- open wit "render in LR"

- edits do show up in CS5, but new tif/psd file created

regards

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dasar, you reported that you are not seeing your changes in these conditions:

- LR4 on Win/ / 64 bit

- Canon raw file converted to DNG

- PV2012

- Using some of the new sliders of LR4 (like highlights)

- edit in CS5 (with ACR 6.7RC installed)

- open with "open anyway"

- edits do NOT show up in CS5 !!

- open wit "render in LR"

- edits do show up in CS5, but new tif/psd file created

This is truly odd because we are doing exactly the same thing, and we have the same software but my result is different from yours. The edits do show up in PsCs5 and the final file, saved as a psd shows up automatically in the Lr catalogue.

This is what I just did.

Using Lr4 on Windows 7/ 64 bit

Canon raw file converted to DNG

I changed the colour of the file to blue, so as to be sure that the file opening in Ps will be unmistakeable in when it opens as having been changed in Lr.

Right click, choose edit in, edit in PsCs5, then in the dialogue box I chose "edit a copy with Lr adjustments, open anyway.

The adjusted file opens in PsCs5, and I know it is the Lr adjustment because it is blue

I applied a levels command make it very light, so as to distinguish it from my original adjusted file.

I save as, choose psd.

The insipid light blue file pops up in the Lr catalogue as the psd I just saved.

I wonder if you would try it again, and let us know if that doesn't work for you? If it doesn't then something really odd is happening, given that we have done the same things with the same setup with different results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it again and it happens as I described before:

When you switch from PV2010 to PV2012 some (only some !!) of the sliders in the develop module change their name

If I modify settings which name didn't change (i.e. "exposure") these changes are transferd to CS5 if you open the file with "open anyway"

If I modify setting which name did change (i.e. "recovery") these changes are not transfered to CS5

I'm in Germany and using the german version so probably in the english version the names stay the same.
In PV 2010 have for "Wiederherstellung (recovery)" an available scale from 0..100;
with PV2012 "Lichter" and the scale is  -100...+100, so in my case going to -100 for "Lichter" is not reflected in CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing some further tests and it seems it is not so "simple" as I originally thought:

Belichtung /Exposure     -5: OK     +5: OK

Kontrast /contrast          -100: OK     +100: OK

Lichter / Recovery          -100: not OK     +100: OK

Tiefen / Fill Light (?)        -100: OK          +100: OK

Weiss / Whites              -100 OK           +100: OK

the rest I didn't test yet.

OK means transferred to CS5, Not OK means not transferred.

So probably there is a problem onlx with recovery ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recovery and fill light are not PV2012 adjustments.  The PV2012 adjustments are exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, blacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing some further tests and it seems it is not so "simple" as I originally thought:

Belichtung /Exposure -5: OK +5: OK

Kontrast /contrast -100: OK +100: OK

as I said, I had no english version in front of me, so make that:

Lichter / HighlightsRecovery      -100: not OK      +100: OK

Tiefen / ShadowsFill Light (?)      -100: OK      +100: OK

Weiss / Whites -100 OK +100: OK

the rest I didn't test yet.

OK means transferred to CS5, Not OK means not transferred.

So probably there is a problem only with highlights recovery ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines