• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to exporting original raw file and DNG, with the same sequence number?

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting files from Lightroom Classic with File Naming: "Custom Name - Sequence" and File Settings: "Original" - to save the original raw files with XMP sidecar - if there is a DNG file it names it consecutively.

Is there a way to have the DNG file have the same sequence # as the raw/XMP files that it matches? I'd like to keep the raw files, as well as the DNG so we have the original without any AI denoising, but right now, it seems like the only way to do so in an export is to ensure the DNG isn't stacked, and they will be named consecutively rather than the same number.

I don't want them to be renamed beforehand, as I am making the selection for images to keep, and would like the selected images to have consecutive numbering (and then would then be dealing with this bug with DNG numbering if I named/numbered in advance anyway).

Lightroom Classic 13.3.1 / Camera Raw 16.3.1

macOS Sonoma 14.5

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to have the DNG file have the same sequence # as the raw/XMP files that it matches? I'd like to keep the raw files, as well as the DNG so we have the original without any AI denoising, but right now, it seems like the only way to do so in an export is to ensure the DNG isn't stacked, and they will be named consecutively rather than the same number.

Lightroom Classic 13.3.1 / Camera Raw 16.3.1

macOS Sonoma 14.5

By @Jenny867

I apologize as I don't understand your workflow, but just wanted to clarify that the the AI Denoise function is only applied to a copy of the original file (if you click Denoise in the Detail panel a DNG copy is created). So, the original will not have any AI denoising if that allows you to avoid exporting duplicate copies to begin with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. We keep a copy of the original raw image, as well as the DNG file. This is for easy export of a large TIF image, if needed - and we want the original (not just the DNG file) in case (in retrospect) the edits made weren't ideal. This is for a very large photo library, where we would export a jpg at it's largest size for end users to have access to - but those who deal with much larger print projects may want a large TIF version of the image (but this is much more rare, so not ideal to take up space by exporting all images as large TIF files).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the DNG and the raw file should have the same sequence as the exported jpg so we know it's the same image. At this point, the only way that I can see to do this is manually. I'm not concerned that the DNG file is overwriting the raw file - I'm concerned that the same image (whether in jpg, nef or dng) cannot have the same sequence number without doing so manually. I figured I'm missing something. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to associate the various files that derive from a given camera exposure: make use of the numerical part of the original in-camera filename in your renaming template.

It is precisely the job of an incrementing Sequence number, to enforce uniqueneness per file. So IMO that works counter to the association that you want. But an original filename (or the key part of that) which they will all naturally share in common: that can achieve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we have a shoot that has 300 photos, and 100 are being used, we'd want the numbering to be 1-100. This is why we would number after the fact and not use the original sequencing. We wouldn't want 2 different images to have the same number, but we would want the iterations of the same image to have the same number. A denoised version and the original raw file having different sequence numbers do not need to be unique as they are different filetypes. From my point of view, that would be like saying the jpg and the raw image should have different sequence numbers to enforce uniqueness. That being said, if it's not possible, it's not possible. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sequence simply ratchets up every time another number is asked for. And those requests may occur in any order, accidentally.. I just can't see this feature logically working as you want. Not unless the chosen 100 Raws could be renamed first before any derived files had yet been made - which would then just repeat whatever renamed Raw file name each one was coming from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answer is simple: do not use sequence numbers. A sequence is a sequence, so two files will have two numbers, regardless if those two files are an original raw and a derived DNG. What I do is use the 'Original File Number Suffix' in my rename template on import. That is the number that your camera used in the file name, so for example the number 1234 in the file name 'IMG-1234'. I add my initials and date/time in front of it to get a unique file name. Then I use the identical name if I create a denoised DNG, because the different file extension allows this. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines