• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to have two 2 separate collections open in two separate windows at the same time?

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My purpose for wanting to do this is to edit and organize a web gallery consisting of over 50 images. Essentially I need one collection window to be open as if it's a blank canvas and the other collection to be the bin of available photos. Much like in video editing software where you have a bin of footage that you can visualy see, organize and scroll through footage that then can be dropped into the timeline and rearragnged in the timeline.

So again, one collection window open and empty that I can use as a target collection and another window open as either a collection or folder. The first window acting as a blank canvas to sort, orginze and paginate images that I can fill or remove with images from and a second window which stays open, scrollable and organized sorted by time.

This would save me so much time in order to visually organize so many things I need for displaying my images on the web and in social media.

Or is this not the software to do it in? Should I be using InDesign or Bridge or what?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn’t a way to display two sources at once. All Lightroom Classic views are based on the same currently selected folder or collection. InDesign won’t help much with this because, as a page layout application, it only displays content you added to a page. Although I suppose you could create a page with a grid of empty graphics frames on it and drop an image into each frame, but that would not be easy to rearrange or sort by time.

If you want to stick with Lightroom Classic, one idea is to sync the target collection to Lightroom Photos in the cloud, which would let you view it in Lightroom in a web browser, phone, or tablet while you keep the Grid view in Lightroom Classic set to the source collection.

Adobe Bridge is certainly another option, because it is possible to open multiple Content tabs that are set to different sources. Bridge can browse the same folders as Lightroom Classic. I just tested it, and Bridge can have two Content tabs viewing different folders or collections. However, although Bridge and Lightroom Classic both offer collections, their collections are not compatible with each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your response Conrad. I decided to use "Book" mode in Lightroom Classic as it suits my needs to grab images from the timeline and then arrange them as needed in the in the Book window. I really wish there was a similar set up in "Web" mode but this will have to do for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines