• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just starting.

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I use  an external hard drive to store my LR photos on? Only have a 222 GB hard drive and lots of GB's of photo and catagories to put in catalog.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, absolutely. 

Choose the drive in the Destination panel of Import and go from there. 

For example, here's my external drive selected for importing photos. 

dest.jpg

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. A further question. If I put my photos on the external HD  and for some reason need to move the external to my other computer, I use one for business and the other for things like FB, can I just replug the external back into the main business computerwithout losing anything as long as I keep the photos in the same place on my external?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. A further question. If I put my photos on the external HD  and for some reason need to move the external to my other computer, I use one for business and the other for things like FB, can I just replug the external back into the main business computerwithout losing anything as long as I keep the photos in the same place on my external?

By @tagra912

Yes, except that on Windows, if you unplug a drive and plug it in again later, sometimes the drive letter can change. This would cause LrC to think the photos are missing, you would have to tell Windows the change the drive letter back to what it was previously.

To prevent this from happening, you can assign a letter to the drive at the end of the alphabet, such as Y or X or W or Z, make sure LrC is reconnected to photos on Y (or whatever letter you choose, see Figure 4 here) and then un-plugging and re-plugging in the drive should not cause a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines