Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping photos and videos of same location together at import

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm doing shoots that require me to take photos and video at different locations thoughout the day. For example, I'll go to a park and take photos and video with both my camera and drone. Then I'll go to a shopping plaza and do a similar thing. So, at the end of the day, I'll have like photos and videos from my camera and drone from 13-20 different locations.

My issue:

When I import the media, my camera puts the photos at the top and the videos at the bottom. My drone seems to keep them all together based on capture time. In the library module, I have it sorting by capture time.

How do I make it so that all the files (photos and videos) are kept together based on when I shot them (at the same location)? Any tips on how I can import them so that my camera photos and videos aren't separated? It's such a pain to have to find them when I have some many files to work with.

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the sort order in LrC so that it is by capture time, in which case the photos taken at similar times will be together.

Note: there is a bug that capture time of videos from some cameras (or maybe all cameras?) don't show up in LrC with the correct capture time in LrC. What I do is simply subtract four hours from the capture time of the video in LrC, and now everything is in proper chronological order. (Your process may differ somewhat)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you subtract 4 hours from the video capture time in LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/metadata-basics-actions.html

Scroll down this page and you will find information about editing the capture time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing that! I'm going to try this on my job. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course it depends on the time zone where you shoot. I have to add 2 hours. You do this by choosing 'Metadata - Edit Capture Time'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I was able to implement this fix and YES! My camera photos and video now show up together in grid view... BUT, I had to change the metadata capture time one by one for each video. I tried selecting them all and changing the capture time -8 hrs... and there was a "Change all" button, but when I click it, only the first video is changed :(.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to change them multiples at the same time? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should all change. Check that you have selected 'Selected Photos', not 'Target Photo' in the metadata panel. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/metadata-basics-actions.html

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see that option. In this test, I have 3 photos selected and I don't see an option for "selected photos" and not "target photo".

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 8.19.44 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the metadata panel, not in this dialog! And make sure you're in grid view.

1 2023-09-19 17-42-43.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, when I attempt to change it from the panel, I have the same problem. The dialog box appears and it's the same thing... BUT, I found the issue. I wasn't in grid view. I have the secondary display up which I have in gridview and the main is in loupe mode. When I put the main into grid mode, it worked! Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines