Exit

Keywords

New Here ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ver of Lightroom:  LR Classic 13.2

Windows OS:  Windows 11 Pro

How do you save the keywords in Lightroom to the original photo file?

Sandy

[moved to the correct community - Mod.]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC is non-destructive and does not add keywords to the original file - they are kept in the catalog and also in a xmp sidecar file if selected to do so in the preferences.

However, keywords can be added during the export.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use the menu command Metadata > Save Metadata to File or Ctrl S (Win). There is also a Catalog Setting to do this automatically.

If the original is a raw file, this creates a xmp sidecar file, which other xmp-aware programs can read. But non xmp-aware programs can't.

If it's not a raw file, the keywords are saved directly in the file and may be readable in other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replies!  I keep all my photos on an external drive and a few months ago I changed out the drive.  I copied all of the files to the new external drive keeping the same structure as the old drive and then I think I pointed Lightroom to the new location but the keywords were gone on most of the files.  I may have imported some of the larger folders again, I don't remember for sure.  Now I'm in the process of going back and adding keyhwords again.  How do you suggest I do it next time I have to change the drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do you suggest I do it next time I have to change the drive?

By @sandyve

Next time make certain that you don't reimport. You should not need to do so, and it would cause the problem you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines