• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lack of Parent folders problem when imp[orting from a catalogue

Contributor ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently created a temporary catalogue.

It was created with files from one folder only. E:\Images\Img 2 - Kids\Laura\Phone Photos 2

When the catalogue was created I simply imported that folder.

After a lot of work to delete unwanted photos, the remaining images were ready to import into the main catalogue. (this catalogue has images from several folders,

All within E:\Images\Img 2 - Kids

And including other folders within E:\Images\Img 2 - Kids\Laura

The Import from Catalogue seemed to work well, but the New Folder "Phone Photos 2" appeared with a parent folder Laura which did not appear under the expected E:\Images\Img 2 - Kids path, but as a separate tree.

Trying to drag the new folder into position Lightroom rejected the command as "there is already a folder called Laura there."

To solve the problem, I removed the newly imported photos, reopened the temporary catalogue shoed both parent folders and the re-imported.

This time the import form catalogue worked as expected and the new folder appeared in its rightful place.

Colin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that you could have avoided all the problems if you had not "created a temporary catalogue."

And simply imported the {Phone Photos 2} folder into your Main Catalog. (work, edit, delete, etc, in this Main Catalog)

It sounds like you asked the temporary Catalog import to copy the 'negative' files in the folder.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin: Context-clicking on folders in the Lightroom catalog can reveal or hide parent folders if available.

Have you tried that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the thoughts, but the problem is a bug in the import routine. I didn't need to see or hide parent folders. I knew perfectly well what was there. The issue is the import.

And yes I could have worked in the main catalogue but it would have been a slower process due to the size of the catalogue file. Thinning out in the temp catalogue worked faster.

It seems to me that I  " … could have avoided all the problems … " if there wasn't a problem/bug in the import process. I believe importing from another catalogue is a legitimate workflow after all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines