• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightromm Classic catalog problem on new computer

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2024 Aug 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I store my photos on an external hard drive. My catalog was on C drive. I moved it to the same directory in a new computer. However, the .lrcat files appear as folders and not a clickable file. If I excutre Lightroom, it creates a .lrcat file which, when I click, does not recognize any folders in the left panel and only suggests that I import the photos. This obviously will cause 15 years of hard work to be lost. What have gove wrong and how can I fix that?

BTW - the old computer shos the .lrcat files correctly and when I move them to Dropbox for sncronization with the new machin they still look okay. But the new computer doesn't recognize them as clickable .lract files in Dropbox either.

Your help will be grealty appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post in a reply a screenshot of that folder on that hard drive. Use Windows File Explorer to show that.

Example: deleted post OP reply, as to save scroll space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2024 Aug 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's the cataolg folder as it appears in the Windows File Explorer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not good, I do not see your catalog listed:

11.png

I am not sure that you are looking in the correct hard drive or folder:

12.png

Looking in Home, may or may not work

14.png

In my example below, I am more specific on where I am looking for my catalog:

16.png

If you do not know where your catalog(s) is/are, then perhaps a search:

15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. To answer your questions (1) this is indeed the catalog folder. It does not present the files as .lrcat but as folders. This is the excat problem I was describing. (2) the path is c:\Users\U\Pictures\Lightroom\Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when you use the Windows File Explorer, and select the C drive, NOT HOME, but the C drive, then Users, then U, then Pictures, then Lightroom. What is shown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalog files which I assume the new installation of LR created. But this is obviously not the old .lrcat file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, can you post a screenshot of LrC /Preferences/General?

example:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that. I am away for a few days. Will post the screenshots once I'm back near the computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the catalog settings. It points to the folder I took a screenshot and posted above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong file,  how about /Preferences/General

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, here's the Preferences - General tab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you have the default catalog for LrC to open set to most recent catalog. I am fairly sure that value is saved in the preferences file. So, LrC, will know upon reading the preferences file, what catalog that is. Now if that catalog was deleted, moved, or renamed, outside of LrC, then an error message should come up.

21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnaks! I will try and report back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you installed Lightroom Classic on that new computer and not the app that is just called Lightroom?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am certain. I will double check just in case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to the how to move a catalog from one computer to another, and luckily it appears you have the old computer, see:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the problem persists. Even if I direct LRC to a different folder for the catalog - or move the old catalog to the default folder of C:\Users\[username]\Pictures\Lightroom - the .lrcat files fo not appear as files but as folders (See in the screenshot). Consiquently, LRC does not recognize them.

I was told I can get assistance from Adobe technical staff, who will access and control my PC remotely. Is that a valid option? How can I ask them to do it (the online chat is a mindless bot unable to assist).

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even stranger than that: now I can see thecatalog as .lrcat files indeed on the Dropbox folder which I used to transfer them between the old and new computer, but when I copy them to the defaults catalog folder - C:\Users\[username]\Pictures\Lightroom - they again appera as folders and not recognizable files 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved! I don't know why and how but everything appears fine now! Thanks again for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
3 hours ago 3 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
C:\Users\[username]\Pictures\Lightroom

Using the Windows System Folder (actually a Library) Pictures. Fairly common, and I think default. That could be good, that could be bad. Two issues can occur.

• One an old Windows bug that fouled many people up, that Pictures Folder got badly damaged at a buggy MS Update, this should have never occurred, and it should never occur again, but...
  • Second, if you had the unfortunate situation where you accepted Microsoft's instance upon creating a user account on your Windows PS, that you had to create a MS account, not a Local Account, Then OneDrive would have gotten in the way.
  •  

The first point is probably moot. But as to the second point. In LrC, in /Help/System Info/ what is listed for the Library Path?

hopefully not:

Library Path: C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom.lrcat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines