• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 3 and Lightroom Classic both still on computer

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently upgraded to Lightroom Classic and I'm a little surprised that  Lightroom 3 which I've been using since 2011 is still on my computer. The  only way I can access Lightroom 3 is while I have LR Classic open if I open an image that was originally in Lightroom 3, the image opens and the software swiches to Lightroom 3--and works just as it always did. (Trying to open Lightroom 3 from start menu brings an error)  

If I want to further modify a Lightroom 3 image using the LR Classic software then I have to export the image  and then import it  into LR Classic. When I do the image loses all of it's developement history and I can't go back to the original. It does retain the metadata.

Is this normal? I think I prefer it this way as it allows me to go back to the original image but just want to make sure I did the upgrade correctly and it's not going to cause my computer to bog down in some way. 

Thanks so much

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My older images are using process version 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click it and see the dialog that pops up.  It will tell you all you need to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the lightning bolt with a couple of different images. Varied from no dicernable change to a fairly significant one. But I can go back to the original version (2) by going down to calibrate. And I can preview what the new version change will do to the photo. So, thank you. 

Maybe I'm alone in this but after making all kinds of changes to an image I appreciate the ability to go back to the original image as it was first imported. So that's why I'm hesitant to loose that ability. 

Robin  (Dumont is my dog)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is always possible to revert to the original image because the changes are simply stored in the catalog. The image itself is never modified. A simple click of the reset button will always restore the image to the default settings. In my opinion, that's one of the real benefits of working with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitting the reset is how I've always done it however when I switched computers a couple years ago I lost that abilty for some of my images. This may have been a carbonite thing not a lightroom thing-.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robin said "(Dumont is my dog)"

Funny.  That reminds me of ending of the movie Indiana Jones The Last Crusade

Watch at about 30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRXw1FzOz5M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I might have forgotten all about that section of the movie!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines