• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 3 asks for serial number launching in non-admin account

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2011 Mar 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Lightroom 3 launch and work fine in an admin account, but when you launch the application in a standard (i.e. non-admin) account it asks for a serial number?

If so, then it is likely due to a file permissions issue either in the original (admin) account or with the standard account.

(Although you need administrator access to install Lightroom, and you do need proper access permissions to your photos, you should be able to run Lightroom without issue in a standard user account.)

Lightroom 3 stores registration data (the serial number) in a file called Lightroom 3.0 Registration, which is stored by default in one of these locations:

* Mac OS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

* Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom

* Windows 7/Vista: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Lightroom

-  Check for the registration file in the appropriate location for your system.

If the file does not exist in that location, then ensure you are logged in with the admin account (the one where Lightroom doesn't prompt for a serial number) and check the user-specific location instead:

* Mac OS: /Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

* Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom

* Windows 7/Vista: C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

If the file exists in the user-specific location instead, then I would suggest that you ensure that you have quit Lightroom, and then move the registration file from the user location to the default system-wide location. Lightroom should now no longer prompt for serial number when you open it from a non-admin account.

If the registration file did (or now does) exist in the default system-wide location, but you are still being prompted to enter a serial number when opening Lightroom in a standard user account, then that account does not have sufficient access permission to the registration file.

To resolve this aspect, there are two possible solutions (the first being the recommended solution):

1. Change the access permissions on the Lightroom folder that contains the registration file to grant "Read" access for the standard user account. (You can do this for each account individually, or you can use a broader group like Everyone.)

For more information about changing permissions, see one of these articles:

* Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419#4

* Windows Vista/Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-permissions
    * Mac OS: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8342.html

2. Copy the registration file from the system-wide location to the user-specific location for the standard user account. (You would need to repeat this step for each standard user that needs access to Lightroom.)

Reply here if these steps do not resolve your issue, or if you have any questions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carey,

Your post will likely scroll off into oblivion relatively quickly. Therefore, I've created an FAQ with the full contents of your post plus a link back to here for folk who need additional assistance. The FAQ is located here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Months ago, I had a routine clearout of old software boxes etc and chucked out my Lightroom 1.0 box. A couple of weeks ago I reinstalled Lion on my mac to find that I cannot register Lightroom. I have the 3.0 upgrade serial, the 2.0 upgrade serial, but the 1.0 was on the box..

I followed the instructions above to find the files in crashplan form before the fomat that hold the registration details. I have tried placing them in the location described, but it doesn't seem to work.

The serials (or something) are in the file, but given in the string that is difficult to decipher - and doesn't work in the registration screen, wrong size and a mix of letters and numbers rather than just numbers as my 3.0 serial is.

Any suggestions for what I could do? Could I send the strings in to Adobe to be deciphered? Perhaps move files around a bit more?

Thanks in advance,

Rog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, found it! (will now save to evernote and gmail!)

For the benefit of future users - despite the 2.0 and 3.0 serials being garbelled and the 1.0 having a similar line at the bottom, in the "Lightroom 1.0 Registration" file, the serial number is maintained a few lines up from the bottom. Woohoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I have the teacher, student editon, but I'm no longer a student. I need to get the serial number how do I go about doing that if I can't give them the "current" stuff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nikkys_photography.

The teacher/student is no different than the regular version. If you have and existing student version installed on your computer you can purchase the upgrade and install it. When you install you will be prompted for the serial number after you enter the number it should also recognize the previous serial number from your computer. I you are installing on a different computer then you will be prompted to enter the previous number also.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2012 Nov 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tis was no help, Library folders do not contain the files you mention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines