• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 4.1 RC and Canon 5d Mark III Cropping Info/ratio bug

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I imported RAW images I shot on the Canon 5d3 with the camera set to Add Cropping Information set to 4:5 ratio.  Crop lines are displayed on the camera LCD but you see the full frame outside of the crop when review files.  Alarmingly, when I imported them to LR 4.1 RC, the images appeared cropped to 4:5.  I though ok, I'll just go to the crop tool and I will see that a crop has been applied and I'll remove it. Unfortunately, there was no file beyond the crop lines, it could not be removed as far as I could tell.  I called Canon and they told me to try Digital Photo Professional, a program that I never pay attention to.  Sure enough, the images were intact when viewed there.  There appears to be a bug when LR 4.1 RC encounters the crop tag on the raw file.  I have posted this on the Adobe Forums. I am running OS X 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nothing at all against the De-aspect plugin, which I have looked into with interest. I learnt this hard lesson about aspect ratios some time ago [when such software tools were not yet thought of - my LX1 compact has a very tempting aspect ratio switch]. I have trained myself to just leave that aspect alone (grin). So I personally would have little use for it in practice.

My only reason for offering the alternative I did, was in view of comments about temporary impact on disk space and time taken, also the potential need to rename the new file, and otherwise clean up, after the De-aspect method has happened.

The alternative described modifies the existing Raw file in-place, and then updates the existing LR image version in-place, so there should be no need for any such cleanup.

Also if one is already fixing lens data, the de-aspect can maybe be done at the same time "for free".

[My comment about the image becoming DNG was really referring back to the DNG Recover Edges utility I mentioned previously in this thread - which does require that.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah okay, good points! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super dissapointing. Needs to be fixed so that I can use the crop lines and still access all the image information available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

convert it to a tiff file and then try importing again... pain in the butt... but it works.  I have to go back over 1k photos now and re-edit.  Fu$#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FFHamilton wrote:

convert it to a tiff file and then try importing again... pain in the butt... but it works.  I have to go back over 1k photos now and re-edit.  Fu$#

Is there some reason why the two options already described in this thread, which let you retain the picture data in Raw form for optimal adjustment and results, will not work for you?

DNG Recover Edges, and De-Aspect, both work - and are both free.

Then if you already have edits on the images there are certainly ways to transfer these across - though local adjustments and crop may need to be adjusted; since they will probably shift around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pls We need fix for this. Why lightroom croppes Raw images? Its shows right propoitions of image on import, but after import there is cropped raw file. How to fix it?
Problem with Canon 5D Mark III

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KiFA_M wrote:

Pls We need fix for this. Why lightroom croppes Raw images? Its shows right propoitions of image on import, but after import there is cropped raw file. How to fix it?
Problem with Canon 5D Mark III

Adobe has released a DNG recover edge plugin for this issue.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroomplugins.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for the link! It works.

PS. I hope it will be fixed for native Canon format CR2 also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys might look at the posts by Eric Chan in this thread for more information.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_1_rc2_messing_up_olympus_e_pl1_raw_files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get the plugin to work.  I've posted about it here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070579.  Not sure what the issue is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been sitting on Adobe tech support for almost three hours now trying to get this problem addressed!  Will let you know if there is any progress. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Total time on tech support with Adobe's India call center was 3 1/2 hours with no hope of a fix.  I was promised a call back withtin the hour from someone higher up the technical chain, but this never happened.  I then called Canon who said they have been hearing this problem a lot and they can't pressure Adobe to fix it.  Looks like Adobe has no intentions of remedying this, but I gave 1/2 of my day to give it a good try! I wish there was some way to actually speak to someone at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's odd that you did that when all the answers were already in this thread and the thread linked above.  Note that in the other thread, Eric Chan (employee) answered the questions specifically.  He's not some tech support guy from India, he's THE guy.  So what he said in that thread is ground truth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And specifically relating to the issue on the Canon 5DIII, see this thread where again Eric Chan comments:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_2_cannot_uncrop_canon_5d_mark_iii_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to shoot to 4x5 or 6x7 crop, but I want to envision it in the viewfinder. Is there any electronic crazy way to see the crop lines in the viewfinder as I"m shooting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can explain what you are trying to achieve, and how is it related to Lightroom?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess he is trying to do what I originally intended to do:

See a cropped image in the viewfinder for composition but get a full image in the file so I could later use the part outside the cropped area in PP if necessary.

This was possible with old LR versions. It is also possible with newest LR versions, but only if you are willing to use DNG or you have a camera which got supported by LR after the design bug was corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is still not fixed in LR5! Why can't / won't it work as advertised by Adobe here?:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/canon-5d-mark-iii-images.html

I'd love to upgrade to LR5, but this is one of the issues holding me back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hr114 wrote:

This bug is still not fixed in LR5! Why can't / won't it work as advertised by Adobe here?:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/canon-5d-mark-iii-images.html

But, it is (unfortunately) exactly as advertised there: the 5D mk III is NOT a newly-supported model, so far as brand new versions of ACR and LR are concerned... because there are earlier versions of ACr / LR out there, which already support that camera.

So that makes it an already-supported camera model (according to their stated logic), and Adobe have said they are not going to re-visit those.

Of course, users are free to try and convince them otherwise...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not sure if it helps or not since you had that question for so long. I just found a solution. But you need to work a bit to make it work.

Go to http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0 it's a website of Magic Lantern. They are doing mods for DSLR cameras. Open the limitation of DSLR. They did most of works on Videos. And 5D Mark III is still in testing mode. I test it a bit it won't damage your camera, but you need to re-entry to the mode every time you reboot your camera.

The feature we photographer need is the "Cropmarks" after you switch on this feature, the preset cropmarks will display on the screen, both live mode or the playback mode. and you can custom the marks, I made it 1:1, 4:5, 1:3.... or some guides you want.

Steps,

1. Make sure you have your camera firmware in 1.1.3. If not, you need to upgrade or downgrade it.
  2. Format you SD card (low level format)
  3. download this https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-5D3.113.Alpha3.zip
  4. extract the files to the root of your card
  5. find the folder "cropmks" in the "ML"
  6. create bitmap images for the your display. follow the guides in here http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Cropmarks
  7. open your camera, go to firmware, and upgrade it.
  8. after reading the tests, you should avaible to use that mod. if not tests running, you'd better read the original posts well on Magic Lantern.
  9. press the "trash" botton, you will have the settings.
  10. "Global Draw... " enable;
  11. "Cropmarks" enabel, press "Q" on the camera, you will find submenu, so you can choose the bmp guides you created.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines