• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 is out.... IS THERE FACIAL RECOGNITION?

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems lighroom 5 is leased.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.edu.html

Now to the question.. IS FACIAL RECOGNITION FINALLY IN LIGHTROOM?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The really problem for me is that there is no alternative : I'm on PC, so Aperture is not an option, and C1 does not have a good enough library to be an option until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the real problem is there is no competition and Adobe team is simply getting lazy.

Hey lets add some basic features we already programmed for photoshop into lightroom, lets make some minor tweaks and lets fix the speed issue that we screwed up in LR4 and make them pay again.

Anyway back on topic, I have over 60,000 pictures in my library, organized by location and date, sometimes it difficult to find pictures of people.

Keywords are useless for people, going though 60,000 images and manually adding keywords for each person would be near impossible task. With facial recognition I would do it to few pictures and system would kick in, it would start recognizing the same faces and ask is this "person A" yes or no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nekrosoft13 wrote:

the real problem is there is no competition and Adobe team is simply getting lazy.

Hey lets add some basic features we already programmed for photoshop into lightroom, lets make some minor tweaks and lets fix the speed issue that we screwed up in LR4 and make them pay again.

You don't know what you're talking about.  First of all, PS features have to be completely rewritten from scratch for LR/Camera Raw.  It's a completely different world to do it parametrically rather than destructively.  Second, there's no evidence that anyone is being lazy.  Do you think these people go to work and play checkers all day?  It's not a large team of people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course the problem is not lazyness! Commercial policy, maybe. and I have no doubt that the job is complex.

To nekrosoft : OK, for some people, facial recognition would save the day... not for me !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And they ARE obviously working on face recognition, because there are 6 empty tables in the LR5 catalog waiting to be filled with various 'face data'. So I presume it will arrive soon, or they wouldn't have put those tables in the catalog.

Bob frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nekrosoft13 wrote:

I have over 60,000 pictures in my library, organized by location and date

In other words you have never used keywords, and now is too late to begin. Do you seriously expect an automatic face recognition algorithm to be reliable enough to wade through 60 000 files and pick all the right ones? Do you line everyone up and tell them to look straight into the camera and don't smile?

Over the years all kinds of "magic buttons" have been introduced. And people buy it. They all work perfectly in the demos. And they all fail miserably in 60 out of 100 real situations. Case in point is "content-aware fill" in Photoshop - which works as advertised for about 10 specific scenarios (and no others), all convincingly demo'ed to death.

You'll spend more time hitting yes/no than you would adding keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft, Google and probably others managed to create reliable facial recognition. So there is no excuse for Adobe.

They managed to create systems that can recognize straight on shots, profile shots, different expressions and are  very easy to use.

twenty_one, what you wrote is BS. I know because I tried both MS and Google versions.

Problem is there there should be no reason to be switching between 2-3 different apps. Each one writes peopletags into different place in exif, lightroom won't even pick it up correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nekrosoft13 wrote:

Microsoft, Google and probably others managed to create reliable facial recognition.

No they haven't.  I've tried them all, and none of them are reliable, including Adobe's own implementation in Elements.  They're all helpful, but not reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines