• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 is out.... IS THERE FACIAL RECOGNITION?

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2013 Jun 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems lighroom 5 is leased.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.edu.html

Now to the question.. IS FACIAL RECOGNITION FINALLY IN LIGHTROOM?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we avoid the wise cracks, please. That way we might manage to maintain a degree of civility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't a wise-crack, it was a suggestion of a viable alternative.

And while you're in "pulling people up" mode, Ian, how about taking the tone of the OP's original and subsequent posts to task? They're pretty offensive to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The response was not directed at you in particular. It's not my fault I that I have to reply to a post rather than the thread in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we avoid the wise cracks, please. That way we might manage to maintain a degree of civility.

I couldn't agree more.

This thread should have been closed after reply #2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nekrosoft13 wrote:

Thank you, then no sale for the lazy adobe team

So, you'll continue to use Lr4 instead (Lr3? 2? 1?), or are you using some other non-Lightroom product (with face recognition?) until Lr has face recognition?

PS - I agree the Lr5 feature list is the shortest in history (unless you count each item added to a context menu as a separate feature...). But as Victoria pointed out, it's also the shortest release cycle in (Lr) history.

And I've a hunch Adobe was spending more time than they'd/we'd have liked tweaking for performance (don't get me wrong: I'm glad they did, it just doesn't show well on a new feature list).

And worth noting: they *did* work on face recognition, but just couldn't finish it (I doubt due to laziness, but due to schedule pressure).

So for $79 I'll be happily upgrading (face recognition or no face recognition), despite a long list of my least favorite holes remaining unplugged, and pet bugs going unfixed... - such is life.

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The moment Adobe starts on what I think of as gimmicks like facial recognition, is the moment it's my turn to turn to the competition that focuses on stuff that matters. LR5 beats LR4 in all areas as far as I can see. It's way faster on my machine and the healing brush is much welcomed and has finally made Photoshop obsolete in my workflow. Chromatic abberation removal is now on par with Capture One - if not better.

Different people, different choices. I agree LR4 was a bigger change over LR3 than LR5 is over LR4 but that's partly because each version is even more mature than the previous one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then maybe you should have went to competition already. Map, book etc.. many would find those to be gimmicks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you Emile, and nekrosoft, for sure, map, book, and also web module,  are gimmicks... But let's face it (on PC), there is NO competitors. Capture One will be one when the library will be improved, but today... And some of CO tools are more mature, tethered shooting for instance is way better than LR5 one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rico_LR3 wrote:

Capture One will be one when the library will be improved

Are you aware that PhaseOne now has Media Pro (photo management software) "integrated in" with CaptureOne (as an option I mean).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not encouraging people to abandon Lightroom, but it seems PhaseOne is aggressively going after Lightroom customers, e.g.

c1_dont_rent.gif

and in my opinion, they're getting close to a serious threat. Hope Adobe doesn't rest on their laurels for too long...

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rob, yes I know Media Pro is now part of CO, but I made quite an intensive use of Media Pro, and unfortunately it is nos as good as LR library. Hope it will become a really serious threat in the near future...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

Rico_LR3 wrote:

Capture One will be one when the library will be improved

Are you aware that PhaseOne now has Media Pro (photo management software) "integrated in" with CaptureOne (as an option I mean).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not encouraging people to abandon Lightroom, but it seems PhaseOne is aggressively going after Lightroom customers, e.g.

c1_dont_rent.gif

and in my opinion, they're getting close to a serious threat. Hope Adobe doesn't rest on their laurels for too long...

Cheers,

Rob

thanks for making me aware of that.

im pretty unhappy with the way adobe and LR is going right now. so i will have a look at media pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

Not really, Rob - Cap One 7 can "talk" to MP well enough, but the Capture One 7 Pro model is still a very Lr-like built-in (and flakey) catalogue.

And then we're back to the massive price difference between Lr and Cap One Pro, which doesn't buy you anything extra unless you subscribe to the argument that Cap One's colours are "magic" (and for what it's worth, I used to - but in the last couple of releases, camera profiles for the kit I use have been awful).

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm saying that Cap One does precisely nothing that I'm interested in, better than Lr can do it; and for the most part it's not as good. And indeed, I find Lr's local adjustments miles better than Cap One's (and there's more functionality available to Lr's brush too), and in IQ terms, Lr all the way.

I have zero interest in tethering, so Cap One might or might not be better there, depending on requirement and camera; and the lack in Cap One of a masking slider is a massive fail to my mind.

And - interestingly, given the theme of the thread - no facial recognition in Cap One either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, so CO is really not an option... Tetheriing was a good point for me, but not enough to switch... and if colours are not magic...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow...  do you accept any opinion without making your own experiences?

try it yourself...  many pro photographer LOVE capture one and prefer it. so it can´t be all bad.

and colors.. you should know that is a very PERSONAL thing.

there is a photographer out there (i won´t name him) who sets all his cameras to vivid +5  or saturation +10 by default.

color rendition is just to personal. no other guy can tell you how you will like it.

Rico_LR3 wrote:

Wow, so CO is really not an option... Tetheriing was a good point for me, but not enough to switch... and if colours are not magic...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a matter of time... I've tried it when CO 7 was launched, and I was not convinced by catalog manangement, I loved tethered capture, color was not so magic to my eyes... I don't have enough time to try it again, so I will trust you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hamada2003 wrote:

wow...  do you accept any opinion without making your own experiences?

We seem to be expected to accept yours...

For clarity, I've used Cap One since release 3, so - while my reported experiences are indeed only my experiences - they're an accurate summary of Cap One as I've found it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well if you think so your wrong as usual.

Keith_Reeder wrote:

We seem to be expected to accept yours...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

massive price difference between Lr and Cap One Pro

C1+MP is way more expensive than Lr, but Lr+Ps is way more expensive than C1...

But we're only talking about a few hundred dollars here, and for people paying thousands for bodies and lenses, a few hundred dollars difference in software shouldn't be a deal maker/breaker.

So it really boils down to which is best, in my opinion.

For me, I will be having Ps as part of CC, and I'm inextricably tied to Lr plugins, so wild horses couldn't drag me over to the C1 camp. However, if I didn't have such pre-disposing factors, I'd seriously consider C1+MP over Lr+Ps. On the other hand, if the choice is Lr+Ps vs. C1+MP+Ps then the balance tips again... - glad I don't have to make such decision.

Don't get me wrong, all things considered, I'd still choose Lr/Acr over C1-based raw processing, since its the best (imo), and it runs well for me, but if I couldn't get it to run well,  I'd jump ship in a heart-beat. And, it does seem like PhaseOne is investing heavily in software improvements - more so than Adobe (w.r.t. Lightroom) - if this keeps up, then it's only a matter of time before C1 surpasses  Lr.

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biggest problem I have with C1 is that it's been buggy as hell for ages now. Takes forever to load and crashes at least once every session. Image quality is excellent though and out-of-the-box colors look better to me than Adobe's standards for Canon cameras. As I use custom profiles for my cameras that however is a moot point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emile.gregoire wrote:

Biggest problem I have with C1 is that it's been buggy as hell for ages now...

Understood. - that's a big problem.

People regularly ask me: "what's the best software for abc...", and I often reply: "whichever one runs the best on your machine". People hate that answer, but sometimes it's the best answer...

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

C1+MP is way more expensive than Lr, but Lr+Ps is way more expensive than C1...

Yeah, but Cap One doesn't replace Ps - you'd need that too, if you need it now.

Besides Cap One 7 Pro is supposed to be an all-in-one functional alternative to Lr - it has its own equivalent to to Lr's DAM functionality. Playing MP into the equation isn't comparing like with like, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough Keith.

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luckily, no facial recognition in LR 5! I hope Adobe team will go on focusing on speed improvements, because LR5 is still not a racing car... and on some other features and improvements before facial recognition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rico_LR3 wrote:

Luckily, no facial recognition in LR 5! I hope Adobe team will go on focusing on speed improvements, because LR5 is still not a racing car... and on some other features and improvements before facial recognition!

yeah because that has worked so well in the past years. 

you guys still believe the "focus on" nonsense you come up with?

oh yeah i see .... you rather spend on upgrade after upgrade to get closer to the speed you should have from the start then new features.... ingenious!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hum, my english is not good enough to understand clearly what you mean.

But if you want me to say that I'm disapointed by LR5, well I am. If you think that LR 5 is slow, that LR4 was slow, and LR3 was slow and that we are still waiting for a normally speedy software, I'm with you. And I also think that LR5 doesn't worth the upgrade and that Adobe make us pay for a bug fix upgrade.

But that said, I'm waiting for other new features than facial recognition, like multiple users, decent thethered capture, multiple catalog opened at once, export improvement, a really good healing tool... Facial recognition is useless for me... but maybe not for you, I can understand!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines