• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom 6.14 can not open file nef Nikon D7200

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,I updated lightroom to the latest version 6.14 and camera raw 10.1 but the Nikon D7200 nef files do not open: why?

Image 022.jpg

Image 024.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

The files corrupted by Nikon Transfer can be fixed

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could possibly be a corrupted monitor profile. ANY version of Lightroom 6 should be able to open NEF files from the D7200. Is there any chance that you used Nikon Transfer to download the images from the camera? Some versions of that software can make the NEF files unreadable by Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,you are right .I discovered what caused the problem: nikon transfer as corrupted the files that I can only open with Faststone image Viewer.

probably nikon transfer has corrupted only some part that prevents opening to lightroom.

my sd has been inserted into the laptop reader as well as the second time I made new photos but this time I did not use nikon transfer but directly lightroom importing the photos through the laptop card reader and now I can see all the files.

Unfortunately, the raw previous corrupt can open only with faststone.No lightroom, no photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files corrupted by Nikon Transfer can be fixed

Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This corruption only happens if you use an outdated version of Nikon Transfer that was produced before the D7200 existed! Update your Nikon Transfer and you will have no problems. You may be able to recover the corrupted files as DJ suggested.

I used NT for years as it was more reliable than LR import, but LR import has now improved so I tend to use that now.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, i have unistal my version nikn transfer.

from now , I will use only the traditional method: i will copy the folders manually once the sd is inserted.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with tool Fixed corrupted nef  i recovered all the files and now I see them in lightroom.

thanks you veru much  DJ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying I dont need to install Nikon transfer to upload D7200 images?  I just received my new D7200.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon Transfer is NOT needed to download the images from your camera. You can use Lightroom to download them or you can use Finder if you are using a Mac, or you can use File Explorer if you are using Windows. Some versions of Nikon Transfer corrupt the raw images and make them not readable by Lightroom or Camera Raw. There really is no reason to use Nikon Transfer as a download software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I just download them to my HD as well?   Without LR to upload later to LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a Mac, you can use Finder. If you are a Windows user, you can use File Explorer. Both of those utilities will enable you to copy your images to your hard drive. In reality, that is all that Nikon Transfer does. If you want to use Lightroom, Lightroom will enable you to import the images and choose a folder and do everything in one operation. That's my preferred way to do it. I like to use a card reader. I have never connected a camera to the computer. Doing so is much less efficient, is usually slower, and drains the camera battery in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

".......copy your images to your hard drive. In reality, that is all that Nikon Transfer does."

....................................................................................

Hi Jim,

I think you are being a bit harsh on Nikon Transfer2 !

It is essential that one uses the latest version that 'knows' your camera, just as you need the latest version of LR that 'knows' your camera.

Transfer 2 has several options, like LR. It will rename your images during transfer. It will create a backup in a second directory. It will add copyright details or other xmp/iptc preset details.

I used to use Transfer2 all the time because LR import was very flaky in the past. However, now it seems very reliable to me, so I now use LR import.

One disadvantage of using LR is that it only adds copyright and other details of your raw files to the xmp sidecars; it doesn't add them to the raw files which Transfer2 does. Luckily my camera now adds copyright to the raw files in camera, or I would still be using Transfer2 to copy them. I want that data in the raw files.

Like you I don't connect my cameras to LR, but I also don't let LR do anything else like applying presets while it is importing. Get the files imported safely and then start editing - safer in my view.

Bob frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. But I just don't like to clutter up my computer with software that really isn't necessary. Nikon Transfer 2 might be clever in some ways, but it isn't necessary. And the initial question was whether or not the user needed to install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great!!!  I use card reader as well. Thank you

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 11:25 AM, JimHess<forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

lightroom 6.14 can not open file nef Nikon D7200

created by JimHess in Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app - View the full discussion

If you are using a Mac, you can use Finder. If you are a Windows user, you can use File Explorer. Both of those utilities will enable you to copy your images to your hard drive. In reality, that is all that Nikon Transfer does. If you want to use Lightroom, Lightroom will enable you to import the images and choose a folder and do everything in one operation. That's my preferred way to do it. I like to use a card reader. I have never connected a camera to the computer. Doing so is much less efficient, is usually slower, and drains the camera battery in the process.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10633891#10633891 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10633891#10633891

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And are the files actually unreadable? Have you tried ignoring the lack of the thumbnail preview and proceeding with the import? If so, with what results?

Are you importing from card reader or direct camera attachment, as that can make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines