Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 7.2 to Photoshop 19.1.3 inconsistent colors

Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

As you know the MORONS at Adobe screwed up 7.3 and i can't upgrade yet as i have a lot of presets that will get messed up.

I accidentally upgraded photoshop to 19.1.3

Now photoshop looks different to the color im seeing in Lightroom 7.2

Is this normal behaviour because i upgraded camera raw and photoshop but not lightroom?

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

ok so im using Lightroom 7.2

I upgraded camera raw from 9.12.1 to 10.3

I upgraded Photoshop from 19.1.2 to 19.1.3

I downgraded Photoshop from 19.1.3 back to 19.1.2 no change.

I downgraded camera raw from 10.3 back to 9.12.1

Guess what.  Problem solved.  Camera RAW 10.3 has problems with Lightroom 7.2.

Moral of the story.  If you aren't upgrading Lightroom to 7.3 don't upgrade Camera RAW.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mickspawn  wrote

Unfortunately due to bugs in 7.3 and terrible performance (which Adobe knew about in the beta testing), i can't upgrade.

I did say synchronised, but not necessarily to the latest version. With Lightroom 7.2 you should be using ACR 10.2 - not go all the way back to 9.12.

Agreed, switching between ACR dot releases isn't as easy as it used to be (when you could just replace the plugin directly in its folder). The CC app doesn't offer a version choice for ACR, which I think it should.

In any case - performance problems with Lightroom is an eternal and ongoing saga. It's still totally unpredictable. Any given version is perfectly fine for some, and a total disaster for others. The next release may be the other way round. Personally I haven't noticed any differences between 7.2 and 7.3. Lightroom is never instant, as in "blink-and-you-missed-it", hasn't ever been, but usually it works fine without major problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for the replies.  I didnt see ACR 10.2 when i googled so thats why i chose 9.12 lol im gonna take a look now at getting 10.2

I also wish i could find a decent thread about best way to rename all my presets so i can just go ahead and upgrade!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to find 10.2 myself yesterday, but as far as I can tell, Adobe only has the latest version of ACR 10 available for download.

As for renaming, do a Google search for "renaming utility mac". The presets are regular files that can be renamed just like any other files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Per,

I have confirmed with support that they dont have ACR 10 available for download.  But they did inform me 7.3.1 is coming soon.  Possibly within days not weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mickspawn  wrote

I have confirmed with support that they dont have ACR 10 available for download.

Ah, well, that certainly changes the whole picture. This must be a new policy.

For Lightroom you can still get all the previous dot releases through the CC app - 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.1, 7.2.

In that case the only thing you can do is to update Lightroom first, before anything else, and run it a few rounds to make sure it works properly. Then update the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

indeed.  You guys are both very knowledgable.  It has been a pleasure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D%20Fosse  wrote

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make a few posts up: stay synchronized, and you won't see this.

I'm not even sure it qualifies as a bug - obviously Lightroom 7.2 wasn't made with an upcoming ACR 10.3 in mind.

I have to admit that it never occurred to me that having non-matching ACR versions could cause this kind of problem.

And what makes this even more confusing is the fact that ist's only Edit in Photoshop that produces wrong colors (see screenshot in post 20). In both cases the image is opened with Lightroom adjustments - when using Edit in Photoshop, the image opens silently in ACR before it appears in Photoshop, and when opening directly in Photoshop, you get the ACR interface.

mickspawn wrote

Unfortunately due to bugs in 7.3 and terrible performance (which Adobe knew about in the beta testing), i can't upgrade.

FWIW, version 7.3 is now running fine on my system - no idea why - the first time I installed it, it was useless.

You guys didnt have preset problems because you probably dont own a vast amount and without special characters. 

Have you considered using a file renaming utility to remove the special characters, or replace them with regular characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Per+Berntsen  wrote

In both cases the image is opened with Lightroom adjustments - when using Edit in Photoshop, the image opens silently in ACR before it appears in Photoshop, and when opening directly in Photoshop, you get the ACR interface.

Yes, that sounds funny, but the explanation is probably that in one case a script delivers "off-version" settings to ACR, but in the other the file opens with what are by definition native ACR settings. The mismatch must happen in the translation of the version-specific settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines