• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog Conversion Sync

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, at the suggestion of some friends, I'm converting my photos from lightroom (cc?) to LR Classic. There are almost 100k of photos stretching back 20 years, so it's a bit of a process.

All of them were in one catalog on the web version, and I'm trying to split them up to increase processor/memory efficiency. I want to connect my LR Classic Catalog to download photos from the web. My question is thus: I want to download CERTAIN photos (ie, all photos between 2008 and 2010, for example) from my monster catalog into the open Classic one (which, unsurprisingly, I've titled 2008-2010). If I connect the two catalogs:

1. I assume that the flow of photos will sync automatically, yes?

2. How can I force LR to just download the ones that I want? I don't see a real sync manager or anything. Can I put them all into one collection and just sync that? Or is there a better way?

Otherwise, I just have to select and export to a local drive, and then reimport. But I'd rather not do that.

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the answer to your question 1 or 2, but I do know that the almost universal advice is to use one catalog in LrC. There are exceptions to this rule, if you have strong justification, such as when you have work and personal photos, those could go in separate catalogs, but catalogs by year is a poor idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you set a LrC catalogue as the catalogue which will sync (only one catalogue can ever sync), it will automatically sync down all files from Adobe's cloud. You've no control over this, so let it do it.

Once it is done, then check that you have everything you expected that you would have, so do common sense cross checks such as the number of files in the cloud versus the number in the LrC catalogue. Once this important step is complete, and you're sure that you've lost nothing and are in complete control, then you can make decisions about having more than one catalogue.

And as DJ Paige said, it's better to stay with one catalogue rather than fragment control of your pictures.

Also, I don't expect that converting from a cloud-based Lightroom ("Lightroom CC" doesn't exist) to separate Lightroom Classic catalogues would "increase processor/memory efficiency". It will mean less dependence on the cloud, and that you will be in control of managing your pictures, as well as having LrC's more extensive features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it.  Ok, then.  One catalog it is.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines